Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Do I charge PST and/or GST to public schools?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2007 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4758 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville

Do I charge PST and/or GST to public schools?

I am about to sell an order of craft supplies to a public school. Are they tax exempt in any way?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
They probably will be, but they need to provide you with an exemption form/permit. No permit, charge them PST (they'll have a permit :) ).

And while I'm not 100% certain, you'll likely charge them GST. There's some way to get around that as well for some organizations (gov't, status indians, etc) but the onus is on them to give you the paperwork.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Charge them GST - give them your GST# so that they can claim back the amount of GST paid.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
If they are, they must provide you with the proper documentation. Otherwise, they're like any other customer.

Some businesses have G-permits for GST exempt - not common, but you might see them from time to time.
Nov 21, 2005
322 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
I work for the Peace Wapiti Division in Grande PRairie Alberta and we are technically GST exempt, we pay the GST but then our accountants just get it back somehow. Its all magic to me, but unless they show you paperwork saying not to, just charge and let their accountant deal with it. Thats why school boards have one.
May 8, 2006
45 posts
1 upvote
hawkbox wrote: I work for the Peace Wapiti Division in Grande PRairie Alberta and we are technically GST exempt, we pay the GST but then our accountants just get it back somehow. Its all magic to me, but unless they show you paperwork saying not to, just charge and let their accountant deal with it. Thats why school boards have one.
GST: It's called a Public Service Body Rebate. In your case, 68% of the GST paid is rebated.