Shopping Discussion

Do i declare the price i paid at boarder or msrp?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2014 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
How you pay for it is irrelevant. It cost you $950 and you pay duty on that.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
eonibm wrote: How you pay for it is irrelevant. It cost you $950 and you pay duty on that.
It matters.

If you buy a $100 pair of pants from Banana Republic and get a $50 certificate for money off your next purchase, then you spend $50 on something and not $100, you pay tax on the $50, not $100. That $50 is a promotional discount, it is not something that you or anyone else paid $50 in exchange for. It could easily be the the same thing with this "ebay gift certificate", whatever that means. The whole source of the confusion is the OP is not specifying where this "gift certificate" came from. And here we are 3 pages into the thread and they still have no specified.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
eonibm wrote: How you pay for it is irrelevant. It cost you $950 and you pay duty on that.
The price of the auto parts was $1,040 Cdn. approx. and you would pay tax (and duty if applicable) on that.

My initial thought was that OP received the G.C. from ebay or the merchant involved to specifically apply to that purchase, and then it should be subtracted for customs.

If in fact OP bought the G.C. or was given it by a doting family member then it would be disregarded for customs purposes.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
2101 posts
799 upvotes
ORLEANS
Purchase bmw parts from bmw of newton total of 850usd. Cbsa gave me a yellow paper and told to pay inside. They did not ask me where the parts were made. So i saved on duties. I just paid $119 tax.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
What if it's one if those items on ebay where the buy it now price is a dollar but the shipping charge is $20. Some sellers profits from the shipping cost instead of the actual value of the item. Do I declare $1 or $21?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2570 posts
461 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: What if it's one if those items on ebay where the buy it now price is a dollar but the shipping charge is $20. Some sellers profits from the shipping cost instead of the actual value of the item. Do I declare $1 or $21?
Customs has the ability to charge you the fair market value of the goods instead of what you paid for it.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
If you have to prove it, you will need a receipt. That would show $950, so thats what you declare.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
brunes wrote: It matters.

If you buy a $100 pair of pants from Banana Republic and get a $50 certificate for money off your next purchase, then you spend $50 on something and not $100, you pay tax on the $50, not $100. That $50 is a promotional discount, it is not something that you or anyone else paid $50 in exchange for. It could easily be the the same thing with this "ebay gift certificate", whatever that means. The whole source of the confusion is the OP is not specifying where this "gift certificate" came from. And here we are 3 pages into the thread and they still have no specified.
The distinction provided by your example evades you. A lower selling price due to a discount which results in a lower total price than would otherwise occur is different from how one pays that total, be it by gift card, credit card, debit card or a combination thereof. So, the governing factor is what the 'Total' is on the invoice. You pay tax and duties at the border based on the total of the invoice, not the total less part or all of your method of payment which may include a gift card.
Apr 30, 2014
18 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
usually it's always recommend to bring the receipt with you just in case, sometimes if u are lucky then it can have a lot of problem!
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1391 posts
498 upvotes
eonibm wrote: The distinction provided by your example evades you. A lower selling price due to a discount which results in a lower total price than would otherwise occur is different from how one pays that total, be it by gift card, credit card, debit card or a combination thereof. So, the governing factor is what the 'Total' is on the invoice. You pay tax and duties at the border based on the total of the invoice, not the total less part or all of your method of payment which may include a gift card.
its not, he is saying the same thing everyone else is saying, it depends on if the promotional thing the op had is a form of payment or a discount applied before subtotaling his bill.

with that said
the thread can die
Nov 28, 2006
490 posts
82 upvotes
i didnt want to start a new thread just wanted to verify something
item is 500 would duty be 500x.13 hst? its a us made product
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
tchoke wrote: i didnt want to start a new thread just wanted to verify something
item is 500 would duty be 500x.13 hst? its a us made product
There would be no duties, just taxes (13% HST).