Shopping Discussion

Do I have any recourse with Canadian Tire?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2015 9:34 am
Tags:
None
Nov 7, 2008
96 posts
11 upvotes

Do I have any recourse with Canadian Tire?

So bought a 8g air compressor during boxing day last year because it was a decent deal. Knew I wouldn't be using it for a while. So last week open it up and there's a part broken and it's obviously used. Oil in it when they don't ship it that way.

Went to CT and they said to bad so sad take it in for warranty repair. I never even got a chance to use it.

Anyways thanks for suggestions.
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No - you're well passed the return time frame unfortunately and it's not reasonable to expect them to really do much at this point.

Sort of the risk you take by not checking your purchases at the time and within the return period. Surely you can see it from their perspective as well.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
I am in the same situation as you - I often buy things when they are on sale and do not use them for months. What I do is use the item to make sure it's not dead-on-arrival (DOA), which only takes a minute. Unfortunately, it is a risk you take when not inspecting your purchase after you get it and it would be unreasonable to expect a store to honour your DOA return 4 months later (if their policy does not allow it).

You can always try going to another Canadian Tire and they might allow the exchange. A lot of leniency is given to the customer service reps - I know that some people successfully return items the store no longer sells (old mastercraft packaging), and even though the item cannot be resold, they still take it back. It is all in who you get, and what douche bags came before you that might have irritated them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Just buy the same thing, and take back the old one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Tommy74 wrote: Just buy the same thing, and take back the old one.
Just about to post this.