Home & Garden

Do I have to ask permission to DIY install hardwood floor in a condo??

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2006 10:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11718 posts
1664 upvotes
Markham

what will happen if I do it and didn't ask for permission?

Thanks
9 replies
Jun 17, 2006
980 posts
56 upvotes
Bethel
Read your Condo Owner Rules and Regulations. If you do the install without 'permission' or as per their guidlines, they may ask you to rip it out (i.e. may be particular about type of underpadding required). Check before you do anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3315 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Hell, you can barely paint in a condo without permission (and in some, you need it to do this).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5648 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd ask..safer then doing it and finding out after your not allowed.

Yeah...i'm witht he above poster. I got in trouble once because I had a floor mat outside my condo door. They said it was a tripping hazard. Bear in mind that when I moved in, the condo wasn't fully done..the floors had not carpet, still concrete and the walls in the hallways weren't painted and dust everywhere.

Go figure.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
A friend of mine wanted to do laminate in his condo. No way, no how. The two big issues were where would the contractor (he was willing to pay for pro install) set up to cut and liability for noise. His condo board told him that if the people below him complained about any noise, he'd have to pull it all out. He ended up with carpet.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
10864 posts
4000 upvotes
Brossard, Quebec
Some good reasons I'll never buy a condo. What's the point of owning your own place if you can't do what you want with it.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14552 posts
4919 upvotes
bug wrote:
Dec 15th, 2006 5:58 pm
Some good reasons I'll never buy a condo. What's the point of owning your own place if you can't do what you want with it.

Because you'll be surrounded by people who aren't allowed to do annoying things either ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11718 posts
1664 upvotes
Markham
Chr1s wrote:
Dec 15th, 2006 1:25 am
Read your Condo Owner Rules and Regulations. If you do the install without 'permission' or as per their guidlines, they may ask you to rip it out (i.e. may be particular about type of underpadding required). Check before you do anything.

I haven't get possession of the condo yet.
looking over the "disclosure" book they gave me, I don't see any there. Would the info be in there?? or I will get rules and regulation book after I get possession????

thanks
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
Keigotw wrote:
Dec 16th, 2006 2:59 am
I haven't get possession of the condo yet.
looking over the "disclosure" book they gave me, I don't see any there. Would the info be in there?? or I will get rules and regulation book after I get possession????

thanks
If you got the condo docs, then look under noise section. There should be something like construction only allow 8am-8pm. Old condos will have something like only carpet is allowed in the living area (i.e. except kitchen, bathroom and laundry room). For newer condos, they might have noise reducing padding requirement for non-carpeted floor.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2159 posts
286 upvotes
Ottawa
Sound barrier, My condo isn't new, but they still required that I put sound barrier down. and that stuff is about $1 a foot for the entry level stuff. Some people use cork also. Expect at LEAST 1$ a sqft for this stuff. And depending on the type of floor you're installing this increases your cost for material, if you're installing a glue down engineered hardwood. You'll have to glue down the sound barrier and then glue down the wood to the sound barrier. The glue is 200bucks a pail i believe and for 800sqft i needed two pails. I had to do the two glue down applications. hardwood is not cheap.

8bucks a sqft for hardwood
1 for sound barrier
.5 for material
2.5 for install
-----
$12sqft.. .. thank god i only had 800sqft.