Wheels and Tires

Do I need to buy another set of TPMS sensors for winter rim and tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 7:16 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes

Do I need to buy another set of TPMS sensors for winter rim and tires?

I am wondering if I need to buy another set of TPMS sensors when I put on the winter tire with rim on for my car?

It seems each sensor would start from $40 each, so at least $150 for a whole set.

Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1499 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
No. But it's your $$$$!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:21 am
No. But it's your $$$$!
So I guess it's optional. If I want to install those TPMS sensors on my winter tires, any information I need to get before I go to buy the sensors?
Thanks.
Nov 26, 2014
25 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What kind of car do you have? Some cars TPMS sensors are ABS based so you wouldn't even need to buy a set.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
jerbhu wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:25 pm
What kind of car do you have? Some cars TPMS sensors are ABS based so you wouldn't even need to buy a set.
2018 Mercedes E class. Plan to change winter tires shortly, but find out the TPMS sensor may be required to stop the warning.
And do I need to pay someone to program with the car or I may be able to do it by myself?
Thank you.
Nov 26, 2014
25 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you can see individual tire pressures for every wheel on your screen then they have individual TPMS sensors for every wheel. If you do have individual TPMS sensors then they are self learning, they don't need to be reprogrammed.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
jerbhu wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:32 pm
If you can see individual tire pressures for every wheel on your screen then they have individual TPMS sensors for every wheel. If you do have individual TPMS sensors then they are self learning, they don't need to be reprogrammed.
I will check that.
Do I need to get someone to program it or it can be done within the car? It looks like for the older model, it can be done within the car: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Mercedes_Benz ... _a/803.htm
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
4454 posts
601 upvotes
xiaohan wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:27 pm
2018 Mercedes E class. Plan to change winter tires shortly, but find out the TPMS sensor may be required to stop the warning.
And do I need to pay someone to program with the car or I may be able to do it by myself?
Thank you.
Not sure if it's different in 2018, but my 2012 E300 has indirect TPMS using ABS sensors, so I do not need new TPMS sensors for my winter wheels/tires.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks.

Does that mean if it is the same for 2018 model, even I use aftermarket rim with winter tires, I don't need to buy ant TPMS sensors after installation? From my understanding the sensors are installed on the rim.

Thank you.
Nov 26, 2014
25 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xiaohan wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:47 pm
Thanks.

Does that mean if it is the same for 2018 model, even I use aftermarket rim with winter tires, I don't need to buy ant TPMS sensors after installation? From my understanding the sensors are installed on the rim.

Thank you.
Like I said if you can see individual PSI levels for each tire you have direct TPMS sensors. Benz in general varies from car to car. EX: C300 has indirect sensors but a C43 has Direct TPMS sensors. Indirect = ABS related, Direct = TPMS on each individual rim.

I'm pretty sure the new E Classes have direct TPMS sensors for every wheel but I can't know for sure. If you can see different PSI level for each wheel you have direct sensors.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
mystery wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:36 pm
Not sure if it's different in 2018, but my 2012 E300 has indirect TPMS using ABS sensors, so I do not need new TPMS sensors for my winter wheels/tires.
Thank you.

I just checked with the parts department, they confirmed it is still the same, indirect TPMS using ABS sensors to calculate the status of tire pressure. So no TPMS is required if I swap winter rim+tires.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
55 posts
2 upvotes
jerbhu wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:54 pm
Like I said if you can see individual PSI levels for each tire you have direct TPMS sensors. Benz in general varies from car to car. EX: C300 has indirect sensors but a C43 has Direct TPMS sensors. Indirect = ABS related, Direct = TPMS on each individual rim.

I'm pretty sure the new E Classes have direct TPMS sensors for every wheel but I can't know for sure. If you can see different PSI level for each wheel you have direct sensors.
You are right, but fortunately, the model I am getting is using indirect sensor which gets all the information from ABS, save me few hundreds bucks.
I do see higher end model of C class or E class have direct sensors at their rim+tire packages, which is more expensive.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18895 posts
4117 upvotes
Toronto
jerbhu wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:25 pm
those are not tpms system ... those are ftm (using ABS / wheel rotational measurement).. no actual sensor in the wheel at all.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18895 posts
4117 upvotes
Toronto
xiaohan wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 12:27 pm
Thank you.
they are $90 each at the MB dealer (discounted). Regular is around $113 each.

Since you have a $80K+++ car, I would advise you to spend the necessary $ and put them on.