Automotive

Do I need to do anti-rust coating/rust proofing spray for my car?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 5:11 pm
Jun 23, 2017
212 posts
63 upvotes

Do I need to do anti-rust coating/rust proofing spray for my car?

Just a thought.
I plan to hold my Lexus gx460 (2017 model) for a long time (at least another 7-10 years)
should I get anti-rust coating/rust proofing spray done for the truck right now? My truck parks outside all year around.
I heard that new cars can wait a few years to get the anti-rust product on. Not sure if it is accurate information.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
For Lexus yes absolutely.

Absolutely!!!!!!

Lexus cars rust like no ones business. Simply google it. There are a ton of threads on this.

You want to rustproof a car before there's any rust on it. Don't wait. Get it done.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
There's 3 ways of looking at this:

1) Manufacturers devote inordinate amounts of engineering to ensure that their products are engineered in such a way that they don't suffer accelerated corrosion. Interfering with such, by using after-market coatings, may very well accelerate the very corrosion that the factory-engineered products and systems are designed to prevent.

2) Manufacturers want their products to rust out so they can sell replacements early, and devote their engineering efforts to simply ensuring that their products make it through the factory warranty period and little more. Of course this is problematic because vehicles are used in many different ways, some of which lead to a lot more corrosion susceptibility than others.

3) The after-market rust coating industry would never acknowledge that their products are inferior, or may arguably interfere with stock/factory corrosion inhibition schemes.

I've personally yet to see any meaningful and scientifically rigorous studies that show that after-market rustproofing actually delivers any results superior to simply leaving it completely stock. Of course, since rustproofing is a pretty big industry... The few hundred dollars that one might spend on a rustproofing treatment, and required periodic touch-ups, may very well be more effaciously be spent on more routine car washes.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nah, Mazda rust way more.
angryaudifanatic wrote: For Lexus yes absolutely.

Absolutely!!!!!!

Lexus cars rust like no ones business. Simply google it. There are a ton of threads on this.

You want to rustproof a car before there's any rust on it. Don't wait. Get it done.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Nah, Mazda rust way more.
Maybe I should rephrase and defer to a more legal type answer.

Japanese cars may be more reliable but they are also more prone to rust. I would rustproof a Japanese car.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I concur!
angryaudifanatic wrote: Maybe I should rephrase and defer to a more legal type answer.

Japanese cars may be more reliable but they are also more prone to rust. I would rustproof a Japanese car.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jun 23, 2017
212 posts
63 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: For Lexus yes absolutely.

Absolutely!!!!!!

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info! Luckily I didn't drive the truck last winter so my car is only into 1/2 the season now.
Any recommendation where can I go to and what kind of service/product I can choose?
is spraying a more popular method now?
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7614 upvotes
ON
burnt69 wrote: There's 3 ways of looking at this:

1) Manufacturers devote inordinate amounts of engineering to ensure that their products are engineered in such a way that they don't suffer accelerated corrosion. Interfering with such, by using after-market coatings, may very well accelerate the very corrosion that the factory-engineered products and systems are designed to prevent.

2) Manufacturers want their products to rust out so they can sell replacements early, and devote their engineering efforts to simply ensuring that their products make it through the factory warranty period and little more. Of course this is problematic because vehicles are used in many different ways, some of which lead to a lot more corrosion susceptibility than others.

3) The after-market rust coating industry would never acknowledge that their products are inferior, or may arguably interfere with stock/factory corrosion inhibition schemes.

I've personally yet to see any meaningful and scientifically rigorous studies that show that after-market rustproofing actually delivers any results superior to simply leaving it completely stock. Of course, since rustproofing is a pretty big industry... The few hundred dollars that one might spend on a rustproofing treatment, and required periodic touch-ups, may very well be more effaciously be spent on more routine car washes.
Go talk to a few mechanics and ask them what they think. They see it every day, especially in the rust belt here.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I use Krown on my car and I drive a VW which has some of the BEST rust protection from factory. I dont drill any holes but I do have them spray my car which helps protect all the metal parts/shocks/brake lines/fuel lines etc. The way I look at is its extra protection against all the crap they spray on the streets.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Andrewhl wrote: Didn't know that. Thanks for the info! Luckily I didn't drive the truck last winter so my car is only into 1/2 the season now.
Any recommendation where can I go to and what kind of service/product I can choose?
is spraying a more popular method now?
Stick to an oil based spray and avoid any service that drills holes.

I personally used to be a big fan of the rubber undercoating stuff when I owned Japanese cars but I read in another thread on RFD today that they are now a bad thing? I don't know enough to comment but I think we all agree that oil based sprays are a good thing for cars that need this treatment.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: Stick to an oil based spray and avoid any service that drills holes.

I personally used to be a big fan of the rubber undercoating stuff when I owned Japanese cars but I read in another thread on RFD today that they are now a bad thing? I don't know enough to comment but I think we all agree that oil based sprays are a good thing for cars that need this treatment.
The problem with rubber undercoating is that when they age and peel, or if it doesn't stick well, it will trap moisture between the rubber and metal parts promoting rust and corrosion much faster.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Chrno wrote: The problem with rubber undercoating is that when they age and peel, or if it doesn't stick well, it will trap moisture between the rubber and metal parts promoting rust and corrosion much faster.
Thanks for the quick synopsis. When I had a rubber undercoating, I had it touched up every year, so I guess that wasn't an issue I faced?
Oct 15, 2008
378 posts
372 upvotes
canada

^ Do not do rubber undercoating, it locks the moisture in between the coating and the frame of your car. When I get my next car, I'll be looking into doing a Krown treatment on it, but without drilling any holes. I hear that Lakeshore Krown has the best service and will do your car without drilling holes, if you request it.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
I was gonna start rust spraying my 2012 Honda Civic but eff it. Too lazy. Figure it’s too late an already 6 yr old car
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
A 2017 GX460? And you want to keep it for another 10 years?

I would not worry about it!!! But obviously it depends on the type of person you are. The undercarriage will show some various levels of rust after 12 years, but it will not perforate or cause any mechanical issues.

If we were talking about Toyotas from the mid - 2000s... that's one thing. But a Lexus that recent... why bother?
5331 upvotes
motomondo wrote: A 2017 GX460? And you want to keep it for another 10 years?

I would not worry about it!!! But obviously it depends on the type of person you are. The undercarriage will show some various levels of rust after 12 years, but it will not perforate or cause any mechanical issues.

If we were talking about Toyotas from the mid - 2000s... that's one thing. But a Lexus that recent... why bother?
I've seen a one year old Lexus LS460 rusted to pieces. That's why. Most Japanese cars do very poorly against corrosion. Don't ask me why.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Rust proofing is snake oil. You can Krown a Mazda every month and it’ll still rust.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: I've seen a one year old Lexus LS460 rusted to pieces. That's why. Most Japanese cars do very poorly against corrosion. Don't ask me why.
Nonsense!

:)

Please define "rusted to pieces". . . and what model year was that LS?

Also, if you give one single example of one rusted lexus, I can also provide my own anecdotal evidence... my brother's neighbor has a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser with absolutely no rust. :)

Are you one of those guys who wax the undercarriage of the car? The shock absorbers? The axles? The springs? Yes, I also have a friend that spends his time waxing suspension components. To him, it may be a great hobby, but I think he's wasting his time.
5331 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Nonsense!

:)

Please define "rusted to pieces". . . and what model year was that LS?

Also, if you give one single example of one rusted lexus, I can also provide my own anecdotal evidence... my brother's neighbor has a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser with absolutely no rust. :)

Are you one of those guys who wax the undercarriage of the car? The shock absorbers? The axles? The springs? Yes, I also have a friend that spends his time waxing suspension components. To him, it may be a great hobby, but I think he's wasting his time.

Go ahead and Google Lexus and rust and there's too many threads to count.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Rust proofing is snake oil. You can Krown a Mazda every month and it’ll still rust.
funny, i rustproofed both my Mazdas (2003 Mazdaspeed Protege and a 2008 3 Sport GT) and neither rusted after a combined 10 years of driving.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)