• Jul 22nd, 2008 1:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 8, 2007
215 posts
179 upvotes

Do I need extended warranty on the Canon 40D

I was able to get the [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] 40D 17-85 Kit for a really good deal ($1269.99 before taxes) from Future Shop (had some gifts cards to spend). I had also bought the LowePro SlingBack 200 bag for $69.99 and the Lexar 80X 4gb card for 32.99.

The salesman insisted I buy the extended warranty as the [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] warranty is only 1 year on the body. The extended warranty prices are as follows :2 years - 189.99; 3 years - 239.99; 4 years - 299.99.

I purchased the 2 years for $189.99 with the understanding that I can refund this if I decided not to keep it within the first 14 days. Do I really require the extended warranty? If I do decide to return the warranty, how can i ensure that they wont charge me more for the camera/accessories?

Not sure if it makes a difference but this is my first DSLR.

If anyone wants to get this deal, please pm me and I will give you the salespersons name at the Vaughan Futureshop.

Thanks in advanced.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2023 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
If you are able to make use of the warranty ONE time, it will pay for itself. Typically extended warranties are a rip, but in the end, it is all a gamble. 50/50 either way.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
No, not likely. Canon's Q&A is very top of the line, I have never ever heard of anyone having any Canon SLR break down due to manufacturing defect after 1 year when the manufacturer's warranty is expired. Most defects after 1 year is due to user negligence in not properly caring for their camera. (Getting it wet, dropping it, letting a lot of dust into the fragile sensor, exposing it to high temperatues, exposing it to low temperatures, etc.)

FYI, both BB and FS have a very strong emphasis on selling extended warranties - it is their way of keeping track of employee productivity believe it or not. BB has no commission whereas FS has commission. Mark-ups for photographic hardware is very low, and they make it up in extended warranties. In university, I worked at Best Buy and they regularly track extended warranty sales, and monitor closely their employee's who make or not make this sale. I was a level 2 technician, my job was to open up all newly bought computers and run the automatic set up that anyone can read can do it themselves. This normally took 20-25 minutes and during that time, all of the customer's attention would be on me and that is when I would make the attempted sale to buy extended warranty. I was all gung-ho for it in the first month, selling it very aggressively. I learned on my own what kind of ******** this extended warranty is though. (The hardware gets sent to some 3rd party warehouse in the States, and not Canada.) On paper it says it can take up to 3-4 weeks when in reality it is twice or three times that long. The phone number to call is not toll-free, and often the user has to wait in queue. Sometimes, the warehouse in the States loses the customer's item. And even if it is a simple problem, (defective RAM which neccessitates changing of a new RAM stick that can be done within 5-10 minutes) it can take up to 3-4 months...

Return it, save the $200 for accessories or towards a future lens/flash.

This is my opinion only, but the 40D is not an entry-level camera... if you never used an SLR before, say on a 35mm film format then you might be overwhelmed by the capabilities that the 40D has. The Rebel series is a good starting point for most beginners to SLR photography and it costs a lot less than the 40D. However, if you've mastered your P&S or prosumer level camera, assuming you had either one, then you might be able to pick up the full capabilities of the 40D relatively fast.
[OP]
May 8, 2007
215 posts
179 upvotes
Thanks for the comments so far.

CSAgent: if I return the extended warranty, will they try to increase the price of the camera?

Basically Futureshop sells this camera for 1649.99, I got them to match Aden camera's deal of 1449 + $100 instant rebate and they also gave me the $100 mail-in rebate on the spot.

I know this camera is more advnced then I need, but my decision was mainly based on how comfortable the camera feels in my hands. It was either this one or the Nikon D80 (also a good camera, cheaper but 2 years old). Anyways, I think once i take lessons and read more forums I should be ok with this choice.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2139 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
FS's and BB's extended warranties are quite expensive. There was a Marketplace CBC report on these warranties and they concluded it wasn't worth the cost. As a comparison, I got a two year extended warranty on top of the Pentax K10D's two year warranty at Henry's (for a total of 4 years) for around $60 and it was a full comprehensive warranty.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
handaman wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 8:30 am

CSAgent: if I return the extended warranty, will they try to increase the price of the camera?

Basically Futureshop sells this camera for 1649.99, I got them to match Aden camera's deal of 1449 + $100 instant rebate and they also gave me the $100 mail-in rebate on the spot.

I know this camera is more advnced then I need, but my decision was mainly based on how comfortable the camera feels in my hands. It was either this one or the Nikon D80 (also a good camera, cheaper but 2 years old). Anyways, I think once i take lessons and read more forums I should be ok with this choice.

Thanks
Doubtful that they will increase the price, the sale has already been made. They did not make you sign a contract for such an agreement afterall, right? Take it to them to be sure.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
I never buy extended warranty on my electronics. If my 40D needed repair outside the warranty, I have saved so much money over the years by not purchasing warranty I could easily afford to:

1. Pay for the repair
2. Purchase a new camera
3. Pay for the repair and sell the camera for more money because it has been given a clean bill of health from Canon, and purchase a new camera.

My favourit excerpts from Future Snots "warranty":

Coverage commences on the original product purchase date and will expire on the date noted on the original purchase invoice.

At our option, replacement parts may be new, refurbished or non-original manufacturer
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1480 posts
12 upvotes
handaman wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks
You won't qualify for the mail in rebate. Read the mail in rebate form. It specifically excludes FS and BB
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
ericssonboi wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 12:06 am
You won't qualify for the mail in rebate. Read the mail in rebate form. It specifically excludes FS and BB
I think what he meant is they knocked $100 off the price tag to make up for the lack of MIR
[OP]
May 8, 2007
215 posts
179 upvotes
Yes, I got them to give me an additional $100 off the camera on the spot to compensate for not getting a mail-in rebate.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
The PSP starts on the date you purchase the item, which means a 2-year PSP extends your warranty by only 1 year. Paying for the purchase with a credit card that doubles your warranty will give you the same protection for free. Go get your money back.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2774 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 10:09 pm
I never buy extended warranty on my electronics. If my 40D needed repair outside the warranty, I have saved so much money over the years by not purchasing warranty I could easily afford to:
Thats a pretty stupid thing to say.
You claim your saving money by not purchasing warranties but this is for all products.
If you had to repair your camera once, your dishwasher or oven once, then you've already screwed yourself out of whatever savings you had.
Some extended warranties are DEFINITELY not worth buying, and some are.
Like I'd never get a warranty on a PSP or a Wii or even my computer.
But you can be damn sure that any camera I buy will have it.

I just got f-'ed when my camera broke down for no reason.
I babied that camera, took amazing care of it but it still just died after 2 years. cost over 250 to replace the circuit board (which is what broke). Wasn't worth it to fix if I had to foot the bill.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
legendofxix wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 9:30 pm
Thats a pretty stupid thing to say.
You claim your saving money by not purchasing warranties but this is for all products.
Either this is your first day on the planet, or you don't read very well. I have been purchasing electronics since 1983 and have had one failure which was still outside the manufacturers warranty. I have purchased HUGE amounts of electronics, computers, computer parts, and stereo equipment. Now if I had purchased extended warranty on all of those things (most of which I sold) after original warranty expired), I'd be in the poorhouse. Now assuming I took all the money from the extended warranties that I did not purchase, if something did break outside warranty, I'd have more than enough to pay for a new one outright or at least repair what broke.

I have purchased 5 P&S cameras and 3 DSLRs from 2003 until now (presents for family and my own). If I had purchased extended warranty on all of those cameras, how much would that have been. One failed and was covered outside the warranty by Canon. If if my 40D coughs a part (and it was out of warranty), I have enough money to fix it because I did not purchase the extended warranty on the above items, or the 6 Mp3 players, 2 GPS units, 2 Pioneer DVRs, 2 Dell 24" monitors, 2 22" Viewsonic monitors, 3 cordless phone sets, and even more stuff you don't care to listen about that has been purchased by me since 2003.

So, I reiterate,

1. Pay for the repair
2. Purchase a new camera
3. Pay for the repair and sell the camera for more money because it has been given a clean bill of health from Canon, and purchase a new camera.

You buy extended warranty if there is no way you can afford to fix things. I hope $250 is not your savings, but I can afford that and more, so I "gamble" and come out ahead. While you can warranty everything and spend more leaving you less for future purchases. It's about viewing the big picture, not just that "one time" experience.

PS. I can fix the dishwasher, stove, fridge, dryer, washing machine and furnace by myself and have been for years. Most of mine are from 1983, the furnace was just replaced because it was from 1961 (but still running well).Same thing goes for the cars as well, fixed by me. I spend the savings on trips and electronics...
May 27, 2007
288 posts
3 upvotes
New Westminster
I think that you should try to return the warranty.

You already have one year of warranty with canon so you are paying 189.99 for only 1 year of warranty.

If you divide 189.99 by 1269.99 you would get about 0.15.
So if you think there is greater than a 15% chance that it will break during the second year, then maybe it would make sense.

However you would need a much greater chance of 15% for it to be logical for a few reasons:

1) If it was defective, most likely break in the first year
2) The camera may be worth less than what you paid for it in 2 years, especially if a new model comes out. I know it won't depreciate like a laptop, but look at foolish people who bought 4 year warranty for $400 (made that number up) and can't even recover the money spent on warranty when trying to sell it.
3) If trying to sell it, the warranty won't mean much if anything at all.
4) It's a lot of hassle to return it and you have no idea when you'll get it fixed or a replacement.
5) They might just give you a refurb.

Think about it this way. You are betting $190 that your camera will break exactly in the second year. I'm not an expert, but I don't think more than 15% percent of Canon 40D's will break in exactly the second year.