Shopping Discussion

Do I need physical copy of gift card to use it?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2013 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 13, 2008
741 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

Do I need physical copy of gift card to use it?

Got a Mastercard gift card from someone and I got all the details for the gift card except for the physical copy of the gift card itself. Am I able to bring a piece of paper with all the info written down and shop with the gift card? Thanks.
selling $100 G2A.com gift card for $90. buy games for cheap!

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/g2a-com- ... a-1682685/
11 replies
Nov 6, 2011
508 posts
184 upvotes
Mississauga
I would avoid the questions from the clerk and probable rejection and just use it for online purchases.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Good luck getting anyone to key in a card number off paper. I mean you might get lucky, but it's a shot in the dark.
Just use it online.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
OpportunityChaos wrote: Got a Mastercard gift card from someone and I got all the details for the gift card except for the physical copy of the gift card itself. Am I able to bring a piece of paper with all the info written down and shop with the gift card? Thanks.
I would say it's not possible. How is a clerk supposed to know the card details are for your card and you're legitimate?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
cyder wrote: no credit card has the be present. this screams fraud.
+1

I know in your case its a gift card, but the clerk will not know that. There is no way for any store staff to know its a gift card and not a stolen card and therefore you will be denied everywhere. Just use it online.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]no credit card has the be present. this screams fraud.[/QUOTE]

How about adding a comma after the NO, makes it less confusing!
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3868 upvotes
Nowhere
Avenger wrote: How did you happen upon the card particulars but not the card?
The person who gave it to you probably got it free online either from redeeming points or from a mail in rebate. I had one before that I got after redeeming points from a survey company. I just used it online. The info provided at the time clearly stated that you had to get a physical card to use it in stores and they wanted money to do that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Avenger wrote: How did you happen upon the card particulars but not the card?
I buy rbc ones all the time and keep the cards secure, but all the details listed in a truecrypt container.
This way im free to use them online without having to search for the card.
May 22, 2013
214 posts
33 upvotes
Store staff everywhere are generally not permitted to manually key in ANY card numbers - be they gift cards, debit cards, or regular credit cards. They must scan or swipe the card. Manual entry of the number is considered a major no-no, as it's a red flag that the customer may be trying to perpetrate fraud.

I don't think the banks and payment companies that provide the payment terminals to the stores will even allow any sort of manual keypad entry of card numbers any more.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)