• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 7:32 pm
12 replies
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
I have the same set up. Usually buy rolls of plastic from Dollarama and wrap it around the entire gazebo. I do not know if it is necessary though. Actually I was wondering the same thing too.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: I have a steel gazebo in my backyard which looks similar to this and mine has the curtains too: Image

1) I'm wondering do I need to do anything to prepare it for the winter?
2) Should I close the curtains to prevent the snow from getting inside?
3) I assume it's ok to leave the snow on the roof and let it melt on its own?
4) The gazebo is placed on a wooden deck. Is it ok if some snow and ice ends up getting onto the wood all winter?

Sorry I'm sure these are very noobish questions...I've just never had a gazebo (or house) before. Thanks!!!
1. take off the curtains unless you don't care for them.
2. no.
3. yes.
4. yes.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
crystallight wrote: What would happen with the curtains if I just left them there and closed it just like the picture?
Start to rot come spring time. I have 10x10 pop up gazebos and the material after some time in the sun starts to fade. Imagine the cold and wind.... You'll need new curtains in a couple years if you leave em on.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: What would happen with the curtains if I just left them there and closed it just like the picture?
link on the link I posted and you'll hear what I had to say on the topic to another user.

:)
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
We take our curtains off and store in the garage over winter. Also have a support that goes in the middle in case of heavy snow weighing the roof down. We store the bbq and some of the lawn furniture inside over winter, there may be some snow that gets in but one side is against the fence so not too much and its better than leaving the furniture out in the open.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Do not let the snow accumulate on the roof. Some snow, melts, some more snow, rain and then the collapse.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Feb 20, 2011
618 posts
201 upvotes
downtown TO
Is it the same gazebo as in the picture..sojag? If so u can buy the winter cover for it and leave everything as is
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
crystallight wrote: Darn, ok. I was hoping I could just leave them out and close the curtains because I'm lazy. I'll be sure to take them off...maybe I'll do it today.
The sun will bake the curtains, the wind and snow will shred them.

As another poster said, get a support in the centre. My parents have a fairly pricey gazebo and it came with a centre support for snow load.
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I leave my metal one out as is but remove curtains and store inside. Been fine for past three years. Still looks perfect. During/after big snowfalls (10cm+) I use a push broom to pull down large snow accumulations to prevent it from collapsing under the weight... just seems like good sense as a precaution more then anything. I got the canadian tire one. Instructions if I recall recommend removing a panel on each end of roof for winter and when heavy winds are anticipated... but like who's got time for that business LOL. #yolo.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
I’ve had a metal gazebo and never had to clear the snow off. Never had a problem.

I would definaltey remove the curtains though.
Feb 20, 2011
618 posts
201 upvotes
downtown TO
I installed heat trace wires on my gazebo..easy to do and keeps snow off it

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)