Home & Garden

do I need to replace humidifier wick filter or just clean it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2015 1:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA

do I need to replace humidifier wick filter or just clean it?

moved into a house which has a White Rodgers HFT2100 Humidifier, its installed on furnace tube and the humidity adjustment knob is installed right above it? Should it not be installed on a wall and not right on the tube?

So I opened the humidifier today and it has a wick type filter, found online the filter is $20/ea, do I need to replace it once a year like the manual says or can I just clean it?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
If you just moved into the house and that filter was already there in place, probably best to replace it and start with a new one. No telling when that one was ever put in place. $20 is pretty cheap for piece of mind.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
I would replace it - these wicks have some sort of powder on them, which makes them very hard to clean.
Aug 23, 2004
118 posts
3 upvotes
I will definitely get a new one. You may not be able to fully clean the old filter due to mold/bacteria etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Check manufacturer instructions / manual (online if hard copy was not left for you). Typically these need to be replaced once per year and can't be cleaned due to special coating.

Every house I've been in also had the dial mounted on the furnace but I see no reason why you can't move it if it prefer another location.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
greg123 wrote: moved into a house which has a White Rodgers HFT2100 Humidifier, its installed on furnace tube and the humidity adjustment knob is installed right above it? Should it not be installed on a wall and not right on the tube?

No. It's exactly where it's supposed to be which is probably the cold air return where it measures air flow from the entire house. If you put it on a wall it will only measure humidity for that room since there's not enough circulation between rooms.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
greg123 wrote: ....
So I opened the humidifier today and it has a wick type filter, found online the filter is $20/ea, do I need to replace it once a year like the manual says or can I just clean it?
The cheap basterd way: submerge it in a basin filled with vinegar overnight, $1.50/gal. :)
The sensible way: fork out $20 each, buy two or three, saves on inflation...lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)