Automotive

Do I need to replace my windshield before driving test?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2015 7:32 am
Feb 4, 2015
37 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do I need to replace my windshield before driving test?

So I've had my G2 for like 2.5-3 years now and I want to get my G because I want to get my own car. Right now I drive my dads car and it has a crack spanning
from around the center of the steering wheel to all the way to half of the passenger seat. It's a long crack but it's cracked from the middle (can't feel any chips or
valley on the glass itself). I'm just wondering if this is going to affect my exam? the crack is near the bottom of the windshield and is not really noticeable on
first glance.

Car is a 2005 CRV. I got a quote from Honda for $529, $499/399 from Speedy, and $300 from a mobile replacement company. Thing is, I have no clue what kind
of glass they are going to use and how much the cost should be.

Thing is, my dad doesn't have the money to replace it right now, but I want to get my G. Do you think it will be a problem? I guess I will just have to borrow a car.
8 replies
May 27, 2015
65 posts
27 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes. they will not only refuse, they will make you pay again. Personal experience with exact situation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Yes.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
search thread there is a person many recommend as will come to you and replace windshield. He can quote you various quality of windshield depending on budget.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If the crack is in the area where the wipers sweep you'll have to replace it before going for the drivers test.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Your cheaper option may be to contact a local driving school and inquire about a quick lesson and use of their car during the test. It would cost less than replacing the glass of your fathers car.

As for the price difference. All windshields need to meet specific safety standards. The price variations may be based on potential options the vehicle has (rain sensing wipers).
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
If I was in this situation, I would rent a car for a day.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Haz wrote: If I was in this situation, I would rent a car for a day.
Depending on age alone, OP may not be able to rent a vehicle. I am also not sure if there are any restrictions to rent a car when you don't have your G.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)