Cell Phones

Do I need to return SIM cards after cancelling cellphone plans?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 7:51 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
117 posts
17 upvotes
Arva, ON

Do I need to return SIM cards after cancelling cellphone plans?

Hi,

Do I need to return SIM cards after cancelling cellphone plans whether it's prepaid or postpaid? I know, in case of BYOP especially with prepaid, people usually pay for the simcards first. I don't think I need to return the sim card in that case or any case but I just want to doublecheck because someone just gave me an opposite information. Let me know. Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14050 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
Once used, a sim card cannot be reused for another customer by a carrier unless the plan is being transferred to another customer with the same carrier.
Feb 8, 2018
3 posts
Some locations might, I remember when I worked at Best Buy our system would freak out when we didn’t return the sku.
Oct 31, 2018
28 posts
40 upvotes
On this same note, you don’t have to let your carrier know if you move your SIM to a new phone. You can basically do whatever you want with it.

A lot of people don’t seem to realize that a SIM is your personal property. Never heard of a case where you don’t pay for a SIM up front.
Aug 27, 2018
31 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
I signed with koodo, got their sim, and threw it out ~10 mins after buying the phone. Plugged in my Freedom Mobile SIM right after and proceeded to use Freedom. Next day I cancelled with Koodo.
Feb 22, 2008
108 posts
7 upvotes
DaleJN wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:53 am
On this same note, you don’t have to let your carrier know if you move your SIM to a new phone. You can basically do whatever you want with it.

A lot of people don’t seem to realize that a SIM is your personal property. Never heard of a case where you don’t pay for a SIM up front.

I just ordered a new phone and will transfer my old phone's SIM to the new phone. What would be the reason for the carrier to know the new phone's IMEI # you can simply swap SIMS?
Oct 31, 2018
28 posts
40 upvotes
maasai wrote:
I just ordered a new phone and will transfer my old phone's SIM to the new phone. What would be the reason for the carrier to know the new phone's IMEI # you can simply swap SIMS?
No, there’s no need to give your new IMEI to your carrier. The phone plan is associated with your phone number and your account with them - not the phone itself.

There’s no need at all to tell them that you have a new phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
DaleJN wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 7:53 am

Fido provides free SIM cards. Order several Face With Tears Of Joy

fido-fido-sim-card-2210971/

Public Mobile and Freedom used to provide SIM cards free also, but they charge for them now.
Oct 31, 2018
28 posts
40 upvotes
batcave wrote: Fido provides free SIM cards. Order several Face With Tears Of Joy

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-fi ... d-2210971/

Public Mobile and Freedom used to provide SIM cards free also, but they charge for them now.
Fair enough if that’s the case with FIdo, however it seems like slightly pedantic point in the context of the tread.

Although they might be free, they’re still your property and Fido can’t ask for them back.