Art and Photography

Do I need to upgrade my nex 5r

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 2:38 am
May 12, 2012
19 posts
3 upvotes
CALGARY
Nex 5r and a6000 are not too different in term of pic quality. In terms of EVF and sensor under lower light situations, the A6000 is better. If you looking at buying a A6000 for your trip, the pic quality, under normal landscape and portrait taking situations, you will not find much difference.

However, if you know what the likely pics that you are taking, upgrade your lens will give you better pic quality than the kit lens. The 16-50 is not much better than the 18-55, it is smaller and more compact.

My advice is, if you want better pic quality, buy a dedicated lens for the pic. Depending on whether you want portrait lens (35mm to 85mm) or landscape (15mm to 28mm), you may find that will make a better improvement.

Another way of taking a better pic is to put your camera on a tripod, this would also improve your pic quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4208 upvotes
Southern Ontario
hojandu wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:47 am
...Another way of taking a better pic is to put your camera on a tripod, this would also improve your pic quality.
imho, a tripod does not improve IQ unless it's used for a purpose, examples: when you need less than 1/focal in a low ISO near sunrise/sunset landscapes, waterfall blur shots, bracketing images together later in post to cover more DR, bulb mode to capture fireworks, Milky Way night shots, and timed shots when you want to be in it too.

I believe in most situations, especially on vacation in decent light, it's a hindrance because it takes time to setup. When you're shooting family/people, you want to be at least 1/125, which for most lenses, do not require a tripod, and at times you can improve your composition because you can easily change your shooting perspective with your feet, crouching, standing on something etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
i think 5R is still plenty decent for vacation photos if you're not shooting long exposure which demands the improved low light perf

I would consider moving up to the a7ii if you're set on upgrading.

the APS-C E-mount lens choices are still pathetic whereas FE glass has made very good progress the past few years.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10593 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
low light on the A5100/A6xxx is noticeably better, and it's nice having the new pancake lens as a compact backup zoom (in conjunction with a good prime which would show off the full 24MP resolution of the sensor)

EVF can be a life saver if you need to do things like continually check manual focus in video mode for example. For casual shooting, the LCD is fine, but if you actually have to check the details of what you are shooting, having the EVF is pretty invaluable. Remember that holding the camera up to your face helps reduce vibration, having a hands out stance while taking the picture is naturally less stable. So you're more likely to have blurry handheld shots with the LCD.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Nov 9, 2009
526 posts
75 upvotes
Picton, ON
Worth repeating.

supermike wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 5:32 pm
Yes. A6500 is way too expensive
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
6k5 is a mini a7S II
it's not that it's overpriced, but rather the a6000 was UNDERpriced at launch. $650 body for 180 pts of continuous PDAF on 24MP @ 11fps was unheard of in 2014. It was a NEX-6 for NEX-5 price.
a6500 is a better proposition now that the a9 is out haha
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.