Wheels and Tires

Locked: do I NEED winter tires in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2020 6:36 pm

Poll: Winter Tires in Toronto?

• Total votes: 240. You have voted on this poll.
200% Yes: You're an idiot if you don't have it

47%
100% Yes: You should get it

29%
50% Yes: Would be good to have, but can get around it by driving slow on snow days so not terribly needed

17%
0%: Nah, waste of money

7%
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1352 posts
689 upvotes
I really don't understand the hesitancy to get winter tires in 2018. Winter tires make a massive difference to your drive at temperatures under 7 Celsius, not just in snow and ice.

If you're going to have your car for more than four years, you're going to have to replace your stock tires anyways at some point. Why not invest in winter tires and extend the life of your "all-season" set? It'll be a near wash at the end of the tire life of both sets anyway, certainly when you factor in the insurance discount for riding on winter tires.

Not switching over tires is really a case of "penny-wise, pound-foolish." I especially don't understand the skittish drivers who refuse to switch over. If you're nervous driving on the 400-series highways at speed anyways, why would you drive in snowy conditions on the wrong tires (not saying that's the OP, but just adding a little rant)?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
IF thats your attitude... at the least get some ALL-WEATHER TIRES....

ITs not like before where you're stuck with only a few options. THere are actuall many more options now...

Nokian
Nordman (older gen Nokian's but cheaper budget friendly)
Toyo
Hankook
Even some made in china brand if you just want to go for the bare minimum... at least you'll have a chance if things get hairy in the winter.
https://www.oktire.com/view-tire/blackl ... 3NDI2fHxC/
This no name all weather is only $110 per tire for your car.... ITs really about the same price as a decent all season.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I wish it was the law like in Quebec, our roads would be a lot safer.
May 27, 2018
120 posts
74 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: I wish it was the law like in Quebec, our roads would be a lot safer.
Second that. It should be the law here in Ontario. As a province we cannot even handle rainy days let alone snowy days.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
OP those nice mag wheels you admire so much will not look anything like they do now (new) after driving them through a few winters. Since safety isn't your thing and appearances are then consider how ugly your wheels will look in a few years of winter driving.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1454 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: What people don't understand is that steel rims are perfect for winter vs. fancy rims. The steel rims keep all the brake components covered and prevent the salt/grime from getting to them. Most alloy rims allow you to see the brake components and this is the last thing you want to do. What I do is get some wheel covers so that you don't have those black steel rim look on your vehicle.

function and safety vs fashion.
+1!

I got Nokian R3’s installed at SimplyTire with steelies and put some $50 Walmart covers on them best of all worlds!

410A711A-EF4E-4E83-B82B-51EAB4104047.jpeg
May 23, 2017
234 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
brockster wrote: +1!

I got Nokian R3’s installed at SimplyTire with steelies and put some $50 Walmart covers on them best of all worlds!

410A711A-EF4E-4E83-B82B-51EAB4104047.jpeg
Do the $50 Walmart covers stay on pretty well? Just remember reading somewhere that some wheel covers may come off while driving. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
wheel covers that don't bolt on are craptastic at best.

They end up being expensive frisbee's lying broken on the side of the road.

Alloy wheels or proudly rock the black steelies.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
treksub wrote: Do the $50 Walmart covers stay on pretty well? Just remember reading somewhere that some wheel covers may come off while driving. Thanks.
are those the ones which i frequently see on the side of the highways? Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by test9251 on Nov 23rd, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
I'm going to take a viewpoint which may annoy several of you, but it is not intentional.

I have always run a dedicated set of winters (albeit performance winters since we really don't get that much snow on the roads since our government decides to salt the crap out of everything) and have my entire life. I always put them on myself (last minute) and take them off myself (as early as possible), and after 7 years I'm at 90% tread depth remaining. This is because of how short I run the winter set because our cold winter months in Toronto are only 2 months, max.

Every year I wonder why the hell I bother with a dedicated set of winters. Everyone around here drives like they're running slicks in the winter because no one here seems to understand basic physics laws when it comes to winter driving (there is nothing wrong doing 130km/hr in a straight line in blowing snow, provided one understands that if you turn or stop that it'll probably take a very very long time). I have a 0% accident record in my entire time as a driver (well over 20 years).

So do I see the value in winter tires? Yes, absolutely. Do I see that value realized based on my inability to drive at a comfortable speed (to me) when the roads are, rarely, covered in 2 feet of snow? No, because everyone still white knuckle drives, despite many folks running snow tires.

Continental DWS06 tires are next on my life. Maybe I'll just run them year long.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1454 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
treksub wrote: Do the $50 Walmart covers stay on pretty well? Just remember reading somewhere that some wheel covers may come off while driving. Thanks.
They seemed very snug on the steelies when I tested them after putting them on. My wife drove to Mississauga and back for work and they are still on the tires. I know they aren't alloys but to me its worth a try at $50. If they fly away, i won't be buying more. Worth a shot at that price point. My wife likes the look better than the steelies.
May 23, 2017
234 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
brockster wrote: They seemed very snug on the steelies when I tested them after putting them on. My wife drove to Mississauga and back for work and they are still on the tires. I know they aren't alloys but to me its worth a try at $50. If they fly away, i won't be buying more. Worth a shot at that price point. My wife likes the look better than the steelies.
Do the covers just snap on? Please come back and update us after you have used them for a while. Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
angryaudifanatic wrote: I have always run a dedicated set of winters (albeit performance winters since we really don't get that much snow on the roads since our government decides to salt the crap out of everything) and have my entire life. I always put them on myself (last minute) and take them off myself (as early as possible), and after 7 years I'm at 90% tread depth remaining. This is because of how short I run the winter set because our cold winter months in Toronto are only 2 months, max.
Temperatures in Toronto are below 7*C for more than 2 months of the winter. You should have winter tires on whenever temps are below that.
angryaudifanatic wrote: Every year I wonder why the hell I bother with a dedicated set of winters. Everyone around here drives like they're running slicks in the winter because no one here seems to understand basic physics laws when it comes to winter driving (there is nothing wrong doing 130km/hr in a straight line in blowing snow, provided one understands that if you turn or stop that it'll probably take a very very long time). I have a 0% accident record in my entire time as a driver (well over 20 years).

So do I see the value in winter tires? Yes, absolutely. Do I see that value realized based on my inability to drive at a comfortable speed (to me) when the roads are, rarely, covered in 2 feet of snow? No, because everyone still white knuckle drives, despite many folks running snow tires.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You don't see value in winter tires because other people don't drive fast enough in winter so that you can go 130 km/h?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
derass wrote: Temperatures in Toronto are below 7*C for more than 2 months of the winter. You should have winter tires on whenever temps are below that.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You don't see value in winter tires because other people don't drive fast enough in winter so that you can go 130 km/h?
I'm talking about an extreme, of course. I'm saying I can't realize the full value in winter tires because people drive at an obscenely slow speed when they don't need to but do so due to fear and poor driver training. I grew up in Germany, as an example, and the way they drive there in the snow is much much better than the way we do here. What's the point of snow tires if everyone drives like they are running summer slicks?

It takes away from the point of winter tires.

The 7'C point is also one that is bashed to death but is a gross overgeneralization. Sure, summer slicks are useless below 7'C, but how many of you/us are running summer slicks? Most of us are running all seasons, and they are fine to about -10'C. Again, understanding the subject matter is key to this discussion, and folks generally have a very poor understanding of rubber compounds in their tires. Ask the regular person if silica is in their tread compound, or various types of oils, and they'll look at you with a very clueless face.

I don't even have to talk about summer slicks here as an extreme. How many of you/us are running summer ultra high performance tires? How about grand touring tires? How about GT tires tailored towards dealing with snow? Like the DWS06? Again, so many generalizations here.

There are some tires that do NOT necessitate the need to run winter tires in Toronto which is the point of the OP's question. There are some that, if you run them in the summer, would require a dedicated set of snows.

This isn't black and white, it's about 4 shades of grey.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
I see your point @angryaudifanatic . If you have winter tires, you probably got the discount from your insurance as well. If you don't like the 7C rule, make sure you put them on from Nov 1 to April 30 or dates your insurance mandates or risk claim denial in event of an accident.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1454 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
treksub wrote: Do the covers just snap on? Please come back and update us after you have used them for a while. Thanks
Yes they snap on. They have an inner metal ring that has 2 different settings for tightness. My wife has driven to Mississauga and back 3 days this week and they are still on and snug. Crossing fingers I know it’s been less than a week.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: I see your point @angryaudifanatic . If you have winter tires, you probably got the discount from your insurance as well. If you don't like the 7C rule, make sure you put them on from Nov 1 to April 30 or dates your insurance mandates or risk claim denial in event of an accident.
Yes you are right, and it is also a perk that I can write off the tires from a tax deduction perspective. That said, spending $3300 on rims/tires to save $18 on insurance may not be a sound idea, but I do it anyways :D
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2240 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A few thoughts with my all-season tires and the first real snow in GTA...

I haven't really had a need for winter tires so far, and the low temperature hasn't affected my tires or braking in any way. With the first snow here, I gotta say I was able to get around well enough. Yes, might have to drive a bit slower, but it's not a big deal as everyone else is also driving slow so if I had winter tires I'd just be behind another slow driver without them winters.

So, so far it seems there wasn't a real need to get winter tires. We'll see if there is a lot more snow that makes getting around harder, but as it is I can do well with my all-seasons.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why bother just driver very slow.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)