Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Do I really need a 3D ready receiver?

Probably an obvious answer but I bought the 50" 3D Panasonic viera plasma (amazing tv I might add) and I have a denon avr 790 (I think that's the model, I'm at work so I can't tell for sure right now). All I know is that it's not 3d ready. Does this basically mean the receiver just can't process/pass the signal? I realize I can use an optical cable for the audio but id rather everything go through hdmi to minimize clutter...

Thanks for any input, i really don't wanna have to sell this and find another one since it was about $700 for the receiver I think. Got it a few months ago and wasn't planning on going 3D
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
No, you do not need a 3D ready receiver if you don't plan on going 3D. You won't be able to see 3D movies, but 2D movies will work fine. To play 3D movies, you also need a 3D Blu-Ray player as well.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
Option A: "3d-capable" HDMI cable from Monoprice for <$10 to go direct from your 3D player to your 3D TV for those few times you actually watch 3D content.

OR

Option B: A brand new 3D capable receiver with upconversion for ~$500 for the convenience of eliminating a few cables and not selecting different inputs on your TV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
MacGyver wrote: Option A: "3d-capable" HDMI cable from Monoprice for <$10 to go direct from your 3D player to your 3D TV for those few times you actually watch 3D content.

OR

Option B: A brand new 3D capable receiver with upconversion for ~$500 for the convenience of eliminating a few cables and not selecting different inputs on your TV.

Option B is the clear winner here. Proper cable management knows no price. :)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
How about using the optical out on the tv set to the receiver? I can't speak for the various brands, I know that Sony TVs are capable of 5.1 via its optical output.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
Option C:
3-D capable BLu-Ray player with TWO HDMI-outs - one for video to your 3D TV and one to the receiver for audio. They do exist, or will soon be on the market.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
If you want to go through a receiver, it has to be 3D. Also cables between them have to be 3D (HDMI 1.4) Otherwise you can connect directly a 3D source (such as BR player) to your 3d TV and get sound via optical either directly from the source or from TV, if supported. However note that optical connection does not support all the HD audio modes
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
I'm in the same boat. I bought an onkyo 607b last year which is only hdmi v1.3. This year the model they release was hdmi v.1.4. I wasn't think about 3d when I bought it.

The only thing I'm wondering about it is the ps3. They've added 3d bluray support to it, but it only uses hdmi 1.3. I think I read somewhere it wouldn't be able to do 1080p in 3d, but it could do 720p or 1080i maybe? Either way it might be a solution until I get a new reciever.

Then again I'm in no rush to buy a 3d tv.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Just to update:

I have like I said the Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma (VT20 I believe it is) and it came with the panasonic 3d blu ray player.

It does look quite amazing and I am very happy and pleased with the 3D (regardless of the fact that there isn't much software out, but Avatar 3D is crazy), the tv itself has an HDMI ARC (Audio Return X) (where C I don't know, Channel maybe)? I'll have to read the manual on that.

I guess my only option is to use an optical cable, I know I'm getting a $200 GC for futureshop for christmas this year but obviously I'd need quite a bit more. Is it worth it to eliminate all those cables? probably not... I know the audio will still be very good via an optical cable.

And no the player doesn't have 2 hdmi outs, seems kind of pointless but I'm wishing now that I got a 3d ready receiver since they werent THAT much more, just HDMI1.4 instead of 1.3...

I hate this HDMI 1.x crap, why dont they just make it the fastest they can and leave it at that :D

Thanks for the input everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
ARC is the ringer here...audio return channel

The funny thing is...AFAIK, ARC=HDMI1.4 which is 3D spec anyways for a receiver so it is moot.

Also TVs DO NOT bitstream surround over the optical except for the built-in ATSC tuner.

I'd get a 3D receiver myself if I were in the market. I'd get a lesser name in lieu of 'prestige' brand to get more useful functions. Heck, I'd even like the receiver to play MP3 and those shates via USB.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Just to update:

I have like I said the Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma (VT20 I believe it is) and it came with the panasonic 3d blu ray player.

It does look quite amazing and I am very happy and pleased with the 3D (regardless of the fact that there isn't much software out, but Avatar 3D is crazy), the tv itself has an HDMI ARC (Audio Return X) (where C I don't know, Channel maybe)? I'll have to read the manual on that.

I guess my only option is to use an optical cable, I know I'm getting a $200 GC for futureshop for christmas this year but obviously I'd need quite a bit more. Is it worth it to eliminate all those cables? probably not... I know the audio will still be very good via an optical cable.

And no the player doesn't have 2 hdmi outs, seems kind of pointless but I'm wishing now that I got a 3d ready receiver since they werent THAT much more, just HDMI1.4 instead of 1.3...

I hate this HDMI 1.x crap, why dont they just make it the fastest they can and leave it at that :D

Thanks for the input everyone.

Your best option now is optical from BD player to the receiver.

There is very minimal sound degradation (if any) as long as the player can decode HD audio, bitstream it well via optical (DTS or DD, NOT PCM).
May 28, 2007
457 posts
198 upvotes
Peterborough
I was in the same boat. I ran HDMI from BD and SatBox to TV (58VT25) and the optical from each to the receiver. Wasn't worth the $$ to hide 1 extra HDMI cable. FYI - The Panasonic 300 series BD has dual HDMI outputs.

On a side note - I just finished aging the panel and inputting the d-nice calibration settings (AVS forum) = awesome picture.

You can not get true 7.1 with an optical connection. Requires HDMI or direct analog connections.
May 28, 2007
457 posts
198 upvotes
Peterborough
One last note - it is no longer called HDMI 1.4. Some legal battle over using the 1.x formula to distinguish formates. Just make sure the cables are ethernet capable, which means the same as the 1.4 standard.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
The chance is many of us will soon go 3D once there is no big price premium. We are talking about 2 years topsy. I personally will wait until there is some sort of 'universal standard' among manufacturers.

We don't change receivers as often. Manufacturers are smartening up and put out these BS crap standards to make your older receivers 'obsolete' LOL

Still, the lowest end receivers with just SPDIF will suffice many and they are still more capable and better than 99% HITB type setup.

Here is your price guide :

Value the 3D feature @ $50 :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)