• Mar 20th, 2018 10:09 am
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto

Do i report to my insurance if my car was hit and run

Hi,

I found my car that was hit and run today, front bumper is damaged enough and will need a replacement. I am getting video footage of the incident tonight. Very clear cameras, so I fully expect them to be identified. Do I call my insurance and let them know? Do i report this to the police? I think its under 2000. Assuming no further damage past the bumper.
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
skidragoon wrote: Hi,

I found my car that was hit and run today, front bumper is damaged enough and will need a replacement. I am getting video footage of the incident tonight. Very clear cameras, so I fully expect them to be identified. Do I call my insurance and let them know? Do i report this to the police? I think its under 2000. Assuming no further damage past the bumper.
Of course.
Mar 6, 2005
680 posts
178 upvotes
Depends if you plan on claiming it. If you don’t the insurance company my not consider it not at fault. You will however most likely need to pay your deductible unless you have the video showing the guy to press charges on.

Had the same thing happen on Christmas!
Thanks T
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
tpirovol wrote: Depends if you plan on claiming it. If you don’t the insurance company my not consider it not at fault. You will however most likely need to pay your deductible unless you have the video showing the guy to press charges on.

Had the same thing happen on Christmas!
Thanks T
I believe I will have the proof in an hour. What would the next step be?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
skidragoon wrote: I believe I will have the proof in an hour. What would the next step be?
see what you have on the video and post up here.

If you have a clear shot of the car, plate and driver...then go to the police and through insurance

If you don't have the plate #, then hit and run will mean you are responsible for your deductible and may not be worth claiming.
Mar 6, 2005
680 posts
178 upvotes
report the incident to the police and have them deal with the A**hole. Then call insurance and inform them of the incident # so that they will bill the other guy the deductible. Then read my other posts and avoid the companies on there as my repair turned out like crap! I went to and would recommend unibody as they where the guys I was going to go to before I find the shop I went to and did a bad job! Also if you have car seats for kids have the insurance company replace them.

Thanks T
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
tpirovol wrote: report the incident to the police and have them deal with the A**hole. Then call insurance and inform them of the incident # so that they will bill the other guy the deductible. Then read my other posts and avoid the companies on there as my repair turned out like crap! I went to and would recommend unibody as they where the guys I was going to go to before I find the shop I went to and did a bad job! Also if you have car seats for kids have the insurance company replace them.

Thanks T
+1, After you have collected the necessary evidence, file a police report ASAP, as your insurer won't move forward without a report.
Mar 6, 2005
680 posts
178 upvotes
They prefer less than 24hrs for the police report. Insurance will move forward but might give you a hard time with the no fault!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
In for the video.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 2, 2017
850 posts
608 upvotes
why would you pay for insurance and then not report it?
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
yes, you'll need a police report when you file an ins claim.. if the driver is not identified, you'll have to pay your collision deductible; however, it will not be counted as an at fault collision.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
wait for the proof then report it, you have up to 7 days to file a claim
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)