Automotive

Do japanese cars like toyota and honda really hold up to their name in terms of reliability?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 2:15 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50989 posts
15677 upvotes
CloudReader wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 12:04 pm
I thought that was determined to be driver error and/or floor mats, as reported by the NHTSA.

Listen to this podcast describing what had happened: http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/08-blame-game
Yes, no proof that there was the unintended acceleration. It was just lawyer galore at that point.

I know no one with a Toyota or Lexus who's had it accelerate on its own.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10038 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
CloudReader wrote:
I thought that was determined to be driver error and/or floor mats, as reported by the NHTSA.

Listen to this podcast describing what had happened: http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/08-blame-game
My friend and I were talking about it I believe it was deemed to be a faulty part for the most part. I can’t see that many people accidentally accelerating... then again with the amount of idiot drivers on the road these days who knows what the real truth is anymore
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50989 posts
15677 upvotes
Now in every 8k service interval, the dealership checks the car mat placement. :)

Definitely a bogus lawsuit.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12032 posts
6290 upvotes
Toronto
ukrainiandude wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 12:34 pm
Toyota YES because they manufactured in Japan, France, Canada
Honda NO because they manufactured in China and Mexico mostly
Do you seek out every Honda/Toyota thread to bump them?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2397 posts
458 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bb0231 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 11:44 am
My Lord ... end Is neigh .....
what do you mean
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1185 posts
720 upvotes
Etobicoke
ukrainiandude wrote:

Wrong

In 2016, Honda has 34 automobile production facilities on five continents.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2312 posts
884 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
XtremeModder wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 10:29 am
I wouldn’t go with Toyota just because I’m not a fan of the styling. But remember when they tried to blame sticky accelerators on driver error... then the floor mats? Or was that another company. Same for the ignition shutting off because of a spring they changed to in order to save what... 3 cents per ignition? That may have been Ford.
Ignition key issue was GM. Apparently, they probably never thought people would hang so many keys and stuff on a key chain.

Maybe most here are too young to remember but one of the first sudden/uncontrolled acceleration cases (that I remember anyway) was the Audi 5000 back in the mid/late '80s. This case was the impetus for having to apply brakes before one can shift from park in AT cars.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2052 posts
1235 upvotes
Markham
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 8:39 pm
Ignition key issue was GM. Apparently, they probably never thought people would hang so many keys and stuff on a key chain.
The ignition cylinder used by GM in that period of cars was just total rubbish. Something would've exposed how crappy it was one way or another. I was dealing with rentals and rental-spec had no key fobs...so I saw the opposite problem from these ignition cylinders, where the key was stuck and sometimes impossible to take out if it had steering lock. So yeah, when that scandal came out, I was surprised about the result only to realize none of those GM cars I drove back then could ever see that problem, but was totally not surprised the ignition cylinder was of poor quality.

The only thing I saw in advance before it happened was the Chrysler shifter where the Star Trek actor got killed. I knew that crappy shifter was going to do something stupid like that one day. As someone who at that point drove plenty of vehicles from all makes and models, that shifter was the only one that made even me look like a dumbass in trying to operate it correctly as selecting reverse or park was extremely difficult due to the lack of tactile feel. Lots of stupid automatic transmission gear selectors but that was unquestionably the worst one I've ever used.
thriftshopper wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 8:39 pm
Maybe most here are too young to remember but one of the first sudden/uncontrolled acceleration cases (that I remember anyway) was the Audi 5000 back in the mid/late '80s. This case was the impetus for having to apply brakes before one can shift from park in AT cars.
Yep that was the first widely reported one, sadly it ended up being a case of malpractice on the part of CBS's 60 minutes. A case where Audi was actually right technically that it was the driver's who got the pedals wrong but got its PR totally wrong. The other change this scandal introduced was more pronounced distance between brake and accelerator pedals.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3135 posts
1790 upvotes
Ontario
CloudReader wrote:

Our Camry got a modified accelerator pedal that was redesigned so that it would not stick under the edge of a mat.

The car has always had the unnerving fault where regenerative braking cuts out over bumps in the road which is dangerous when you are progressively braking in a planned stopping distance. Toyota dealers have told me this is normal. I would not trust Toyota to be honest about anything.

They were fined $1.2bn in the USA because they lied to regulators, Congress and the public.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
May 2, 2018
61 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
ukrainiandude wrote:
A bit of research required on your end.

Civics - Alliston ON
CRVs - Alliston ON
Accords - Ohio
Odysseys - Alabama
Ridgeline - Alabama

The only Hondas made is Mexico is Fit and HRV (same platform) although some Fits are still made in Japan
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7140 posts
1260 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 10:29 am
What about Europe. Pretty sure that’s where the newer hatchbacks are made.

And I’m pretty positive they’re not built in China.

I wouldn’t go with Toyota just because I’m not a fan of the styling. But remember when they tried to blame sticky accelerators on driver error... then the floor mats? Or was that another company. Same for the ignition shutting off because of a spring they changed to in order to save what... 3 cents per ignition? That may have been Ford.

At the end of the day every manufacturer is going to have its quirks and issues so buy whatever you want. I learned a very valuable lesson after buying a Jeep which is that I’ll never buy another one
2 out of 3 cars have components made by Chinese companies, so you would be would be without a car now !
The Toyota sudden acceleration and VW diesel stories is a US government made up conspiracy to knock their foreign competitors down a few notches ! This how a sore loser like the US behaves when their war time enemies surpasses them on their last and number one industrial sector when the Big 3 was America's show case which now amounts to nothing more than a shadow of it's former self ! The current economic condition of the city of Detroit is a direct comparison of how far America have fallen !

Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6189 posts
2525 upvotes
Alberta
Crixus45 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:13 pm
Toyota / Lexus = YES

Honda / Acura = NO, not anymore
x2. I have a 2006 Odyssey and was looking at the new 2018 and what a POS this thing is. The one in the showroom had just about every panel and door out of alignment. The door seals were all screwed up, some sticking out past the sheet metal and some all glued in the wrong place. The rear window was set in crooked, taillight on one side had a huge gap where the other side had none. We looked at 2 outside on the lot and they had the same issues and more.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12588 posts
8858 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've been to the Toyota's Cambridge plant and would have no issues buying a North American made one. They go through an extensive QC process and Lexus although built in the same plant goes through a longer QC process.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7140 posts
1260 upvotes
VICTOR KWAN wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:17 pm
The thing some redneck Americans don't understand is that the Japanese,Koreans and German's currently employ more people then the "big 3" (better know as the small 3 these days) in the states. Once this fad of people buying big trucks they'll never throw a stone in or this CUV craze is over will be the final nail in the coffin for the Detroit 3.
The only reason the Small 3 is still alive is US dominance of the high seas with their navy in securing shipping lanes for cheap oil(aka "Sweet Crude") being imported from the Middle East or else obese Americans would have to go on a diet to fit into compacts and sub-compact cars like the rest of the world ! You can already see a big difference in GM'S SAIC plants in China versus those in the US and Canada. The work force are in uniform, disciplined, conscientious with high IQ and high manual dexterity !