Automotive

Do japanese cars like toyota and honda really hold up to their name in terms of reliability?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 2:15 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15445 posts
5704 upvotes
Gone are the days where a manufacturer has processes that make it leaps and bounds better than competitors - you'll see the evidence for this in more subjective reports of quality such as JD Power ones. The difference between the brands is minimal these days. Plus they share so many components (as we all found out during the big airbag recall) that it's even closer than before.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1110 posts
389 upvotes
estevens wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 6:26 pm
I used to be a regular at Niquet Service when I had my B6 A4. Croissant were amazing so was the coffee..........As for the Topic american cars are good. Those 3800 Buick v6 were tanks. So were Taurus and lots of cars.
I think that really emphasizes the importance of a good dealership in keeping brand loyalty. They essentially sold me a car that shouldn't have passed as a CPO, and it was a combination of me filing a complaint with Audi Canada, and Mark Motors advocating on my behalf that got me a great deal and is what sold me on them as a dealership (although many people hate them).
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
132 upvotes
Toyota / Lexus = YES

Honda / Acura = NO, not anymore
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2145 posts
801 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
There's a reason about 90% of the taxis in the Greater Vancouver area are Toyotas.
There is also a reason that you see very few turbos in Toyotas. They know the turbo won't go the distance.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
331 upvotes
rsang39 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:04 pm
I think that really emphasizes the importance of a good dealership in keeping brand loyalty. They essentially sold me a car that shouldn't have passed as a CPO, and it was a combination of me filing a complaint with Audi Canada, and Mark Motors advocating on my behalf that got me a great deal and is what sold me on them as a dealership (although many people hate them).
My post was more about how my car was a POS and I was there all the time
Nov 15, 2017
561 posts
368 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:24 pm
There's a reason about 90% of the taxis in the Greater Vancouver area are Toyotas.
There is also a reason that you see very few turbos in Toyotas. They know the turbo won't go the distance.
Turbo won't go the distance when:

1. People tune it beyond stock parameters
2. People neglect/delay routine maintenance

Anecdotally speaking, between the Volvo, Saab, Honda, and Hyundai that I have/know of people who have, the turbocharger was never a repair item.

With Toyotas, you get mechanically ancient/simple powertrain which would still run with abuse + heavy negligence. Look at the rental fleets of Camrys.

Taxis are mostly Prius, which gets unrivaled MPG in stop-and-go traffic.

Interestingly, people say stay away from CVTs because of longevity concerns, but yet the popular cars on the road today are equipped with exactly that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8957 posts
2038 upvotes
I'll never buy Honda again.

They screwed up their engine casting and now everybody with a 2006-2009 model risk of having a paper weight if/when the engine block cracks. They offered a 10 year extended warranty and 1 day past this, they wash their hands. I smell a class action law suit, but it will take a long time to get to Canada if anything will be happening int he US.

In other news, My 2015 Kia Forte still works nicely. I agree with BBZero that Kia/Hyundai stepped up their game. The car still has almost no complaints on carcomplaints.com website. Of course it's a matter of numbers sold, but looks good for 2, coming up to 3 years now.
Nov 15, 2017
561 posts
368 upvotes
3 years is still too short to indicate anything significant about reliability; especially since that is still well within the warranty period of most vehicles.

Honda is still considered reliable according to TrueDelta.
Nov 11, 2017
39 posts
15 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:11 am
I'll never buy Honda again.

They screwed up their engine casting and now everybody with a 2006-2009 model risk of having a paper weight if/when the engine block cracks. They offered a 10 year extended warranty and 1 day past this, they wash their hands. I smell a class action law suit, but it will take a long time to get to Canada if anything will be happening int he US.

In other news, My 2015 Kia Forte still works nicely. I agree with BBZero that Kia/Hyundai stepped up their game. The car still has almost no complaints on carcomplaints.com website. Of course it's a matter of numbers sold, but looks good for 2, coming up to 3 years now.

I'm actually one of those people at risk of having a cracked engine block paper weight. With that said I was concerned about it and contacted Honda about opening the car past the 10 year mark. Their language used was that they most likely wouldn't wash their hands clean from it since it was a known issue and would handle each case individually especially to uphold customer satisfaction.

Anyways with that said, I've owned my 2007 Civic now for 11 years and haven't had any issues. There was something recall on a split visor and that was it. It's been amazing on gas and maintenance is inexpensive. I should mention I drive manual if that makes a difference.

Prior to this I inherited my dad's 1991 Toyota Tercel. The only thing that repeatedly failed on that was the AC compressor. He purchased a 2004 Camry V6 afterwards which is still running today flawlessly. He did have a rear Wheel bearing fail around the 70,000 km Mark but no issues outside of that.

So take as a grain of salt but I feel like my running record of Japanese vehicles had been pretty good. But I understand that's not the case for everyone.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4593 posts
777 upvotes
Montreal
BBZero wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:22 am
3 years is still too short to indicate anything significant about reliability; especially since that is still well within the warranty period of most vehicles.

Honda is still considered reliable according to TrueDelta.
Has there been lots of engine issues with its popular CR-V since 2013 model year? Most taxi drivers all drive Toyota's for a reason and there are probably more Hyundai's out there than Honda's.
Oct 2, 2017
542 posts
359 upvotes
yes but they are also very simple and plain
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8957 posts
2038 upvotes
AlastairL wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 7:20 am
I'm actually one of those people at risk of having a cracked engine block paper weight. With that said I was concerned about it and contacted Honda about opening the car past the 10 year mark. Their language used was that they most likely wouldn't wash their hands clean from it since it was a known issue and would handle each case individually especially to uphold customer satisfaction.

Anyways with that said, I've owned my 2007 Civic now for 11 years and haven't had any issues. There was something recall on a split visor and that was it. It's been amazing on gas and maintenance is inexpensive. I should mention I drive manual if that makes a difference.

Prior to this I inherited my dad's 1991 Toyota Tercel. The only thing that repeatedly failed on that was the AC compressor. He purchased a 2004 Camry V6 afterwards which is still running today flawlessly. He did have a rear Wheel bearing fail around the 70,000 km Mark but no issues outside of that.

So take as a grain of salt but I feel like my running record of Japanese vehicles had been pretty good. But I understand that's not the case for everyone.
I have no problems with Toyota, nor Honda for that matter, but this situation will make me steer clear of Honda of how it's handled. From the language you might think they won't wash their hands, but go on 8th gen civic forum and you will see people with this problem are SOL for being 1 day over the extended warranty. As such, because of a manufacturing defect, I smell a class action. Maybe...

My 07 civic is also manual, but I don't think that matters since the problem is with the engine block cracking and coolant leaking out. Recently I had a flashback of how close I was to pull the trigger on the 1st gen 2006 Honda Insight. Apparently they still run amazing even after 12-18 years, still great on gas, and best of all, they were the ONLY hybrid cars that came in manual transmission, something that does not exist if you go hybrid. All of the sudden regrets came back to me for not pulling the trigger and buy the 06 insight vs my 07 civic. And the 2 seat only was perfect too. I think I can count on one hand how many times I've had passengers in the back. I calculated I would've saved about $7000 in fuel by now and I only drove my civic 100k km
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12998 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
wal3145 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 6:11 pm
My sister went car shopping last month at Audi, BMW and Mercedes and they all told her most people lease their cars. Why? The saleswoman told her maintenance is expensive after the lease is over. Upon hearing that, she bought a Lexus RX which she intends to drive for the next 15 years.
With honesty like that, I suspect she won't be working there much longer. Your sister was lucky enough to have met her.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21229 posts
2345 upvotes
Montreal
hightech wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 9:30 am
With honesty like that, I suspect she won't be working there much longer. Your sister was lucky enough to have met her.
This amazes me to no end. I bought Lexus a few years back and the salesman was bragging about reliable and well built they were. Ten minutes after signing, the finance guy tries to sell me a warranty and tells me how expensive they are to repair and how much senors and "computers" fail.

Scum.. all of them.