Travel

Do local hotels have a deal for locals who wanna swim but don't need a room?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 2:09 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
41 posts
4 upvotes
Metro Vancouver

Do local hotels have a deal for locals who wanna swim but don't need a room?

Hi all.
Does anyboby know if local hotels have some sort of deal for guests who live in the neighboorhood and therefore have no need of a room, but are interested using hotel's pool (and maybe dining)?

Motel/Hotel name/chain doesn't matter.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1485 posts
524 upvotes
Tokyo
Yes. Best to inquire with the club facility for rates. Years ago I used to frequent a hotel downtown (Toronto/Vancouver) for their gym/pool.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
41 posts
4 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
McKinsey

Thanks. I found some online articles from fancy-schmancy magazines about using pools without being a sleeping guest and the prices were exorbitant. Some give you a 'free' pass if you get a $150 spa treatment.

And all we're looking for is a quiet, humble pool we can just float in without the bustle of a public pool.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
2617 posts
1142 upvotes
Ontario
My local Holiday Inn used to do this when I was growing up. We always had a family membership and it wasn't very much money. We used the pool, hot tub, sauna, mini putt, weight gym, change rooms
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1485 posts
524 upvotes
Tokyo
mapleleafsyrup wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 7:10 am
McKinsey

Thanks. I found some online articles from fancy-schmancy magazines about using pools without being a sleeping guest and the prices were exorbitant. Some give you a 'free' pass if you get a $150 spa treatment.

And all we're looking for is a quiet, humble pool we can just float in without the bustle of a public pool.
Again, very hotel will have different rates, and there is no "quick" way to find out unless you pick up the phone and call around.

I don't recall what I paid but it was more expensive than a gym membership which have pools, since it is more quiet, which is what you are looking for...if it was too cheap, hotel guests may not like the bustle of a public pool which you are looking to avoid. You'll have to pay to play.
Mar 30, 2009
785 posts
302 upvotes
This is definitely possible at some Toronto hotels. There are daily, monthly, yearly and half-yearly passes available depending on the hotel. They are costly.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2015
41 posts
4 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
McKinsey wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:51 am
..if it was too cheap, hotel guests may not like the bustle of a public pool which you are looking to avoid.
The hotel pool could stay quiet while being "too cheap" if locals don't consider going there an option.

frugal1 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:54 am
They are costly.
That's a shame. I don't even need a posh pool or a pool with a great ambiance. In fact, the pool or the hotel/motel could be ugly/dinky -- I don't care. Just looking for a pool.
If all hotel/motel pools are gonna cost lots of money, not sure if it's gonna be worth it.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4255 posts
584 upvotes
mapleleafsyrup wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 1:48 pm
The hotel pool could stay quiet while being "too cheap" if locals don't consider going there an option.

That's a shame. I don't even need a posh pool or a pool with a great ambiance. In fact, the pool or the hotel/motel could be ugly/dinky -- I don't care. Just looking for a pool.
If all hotel/motel pools are gonna cost lots of money, not sure if it's gonna be worth it.
any friends in condominium buildings ? some of them have a very nice and almost never used pools ...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8786 posts
1482 upvotes
Markham
OP, that sounds like a good idea about going to hotel and pay for the pool use.
On the other position, if I was the hotel guest and know the hotel open their pool for the non hotel guest to use for money and crowed the pool (instead of guest only), I won't happy with it and probably won't go back to this hotel again.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015