Page 1 of 1

Do mice travel in groups?

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 11:03 am
by Rockstead
The Automatic garage door opened on its own while we were out for supper, and in the next few days we noticed mice.

We've left the hosue and have over 40 traps set and only 3 have been caught, we also only found droppings in two places and no more since the mice have been caught.

Do Mice normally travel in groups? are we crazy to think that they all came in together, and maybe it is just a coincidence and they are managing to get in from somewhere else (doubtful since we havenever had this problem in the past 3 years).

I did a bunch of googling but couldn't find specific information if they traveled in numbers.

Re: Do mice travel in groups?

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 12:03 pm
by dubstar27
Rockstead wrote: The Automatic garage door opened on its own while we were out for supper, and in the next few days we noticed mice.

We've left the hosue and have over 40 traps set and only 3 have been caught, we also only found droppings in two places and no more since the mice have been caught.

Do Mice normally travel in groups? are we crazy to think that they all came in together, and maybe it is just a coincidence and they are managing to get in from somewhere else (doubtful since we havenever had this problem in the past 3 years).

I did a bunch of googling but couldn't find specific information if they traveled in numbers.
I don't really know if they travel in groups... but I know they breed really quickly. I had an infestation of mice in my garage also.... I remember I killed about 10-12 of them before the problem was gone. Just be persistent, and leave the traps out. Replace the bait once every 1 or 2 weeks.

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 12:44 pm
by mrlarouc
dubstar27 wrote: I don't really know if they travel in groups... but I know they breed really quickly. I had an infestation of mice in my garage also.... I remember I killed about 10-12 of them before the problem was gone. Just be persistent, and leave the traps out. Replace the bait once every 1 or 2 weeks.

Yeah I think that :arrowu: is the more likely explanation. If it was a pregnant mommy that got into your house, you would be looking at her + 5-12 little ones in less than 20d and another 20d before they are looking pretty adultish. So in about a month you can have 10-15 mice inhabiting your place from just one break-in! :(

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 3:02 pm
by Pixie
I agree with the previous posters. They say if you see one mouse in your house, there's probably 10.

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 3:57 pm
by dgs
Do mice travel in groups? Only if they can get a package deal.

Seriously - the breeding stats above mean one mouse means lots of mice usually.

Posted: Oct 26th, 2006 3:59 pm
by tessjames
I don't know mice travel in grpups. I do know that they call out to each other when a mouse is trapped.

Posted: Oct 27th, 2006 6:42 pm
by Initial_C
as far as I know, mice don't travel in groups. but they do breed quickly. so the only way to get rid of them is to get rid of ALL of them.

Posted: Oct 31st, 2006 1:57 am
by Dustbunny
Well I have been dealing with mice this fall too and from what I can gather they may appear to be in groups because they all want to come in when it gets cold. So they take their opportunities when they find them vs travelling as a pack of buddies looking for an entrance.

If you find any more, or just for peace of mind, take a trip around your house and look for any holes bigger than a dime. They may have found a path in whether you have your garage door open or not.

Good luck. I am hoping mine are all gone or dead but it's hard to feel comfortable once they've been in the house.

Posted: Nov 2nd, 2006 11:37 am
by George W. Bush
Cats will certainly be the solution to this!

If you have a cat in your house, I am sure the mice'n da hood will think twice about loitering again in the garage!

Posted: Nov 2nd, 2006 11:47 am
by deep
There is a collective noun for a group of mice...a mischief of mice....so they must at least hang out in groups. Shooting up and terrorizing neighbourhoods, most likely.

Posted: Nov 3rd, 2006 10:25 am
by kellya
Ugg. I hate mice. Just this week we found them in BOTH our vehicles!! There was no food in there and our vehicles are kept clean so I'm assuming they just wanted to get warm? We think we've solved where they were getting in from and (knock on wood) no more mice yet. Funny thing though was, I guess when we fixed the problem in my husbands car one was trapped in the car. We found him dead on the front seat!

In answer to your garage issue. We had this a couple of years ago. Turns out that we had a half full bag of grass seed that was hidden in a corner. Turned out the little buggers were pigging out on a grass seed feast. We completely clean out the garage in the fall now and haven't had a problem since then.

Kelly

Posted: Nov 3rd, 2006 10:57 am
by 1jVu
kellya wrote: Ugg. I hate mice. Just this week we found them in BOTH our vehicles!! There was no food in there and our vehicles are kept clean so I'm assuming they just wanted to get warm? We think we've solved where they were getting in from and (knock on wood) no more mice yet. Funny thing though was, I guess when we fixed the problem in my husbands car one was trapped in the car. We found him dead on the front seat!

In answer to your garage issue. We had this a couple of years ago. Turns out that we had a half full bag of grass seed that was hidden in a corner. Turned out the little buggers were pigging out on a grass seed feast. We completely clean out the garage in the fall now and haven't had a problem since then.

Kelly
that sucks, having them in your car LOL

Posted: Nov 3rd, 2006 11:50 am
by kellya
1jVu wrote: that sucks, having them in your car LOL
Tell me about it! I'm seriously tramatized lol!

I've heard of mice in stored vehicles before but these cars are in regular use, clean etc. etc.

Kelly