• Nov 26th, 2013 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton

Do Not Buy Ibm/LeN0vo!

Most of you know from my earlier posts that I was a staunch supporter of IBM/LeN0vo rating them as the best of class in business notebooks ahead of such companies like Fujitsu, Panasonic, [rfdlink=55]Dells[/rfdlink], Apples, and Toshiba which I also own. Recently an experience in their customer service had me drop their rating from the top to the bottom.

My x60t was bought around a year ago with a three year warranty. It was "babied," never brought out of the house, and had been lightly used for approximately 25 hours during that time since I like to cycle the use of my notebooks. During that time, minor problems developed like the bottom feet in the front of the laptop pretty much "melted" from the heat accumulated in the palmrests. (Google shows that this version is prone to getting very hot and overheating) In fact, it gets much hotter than my aluminum Macbook Pro which is known to have the highest temperature due to the metal acting as a heatsink. I forgot about the problem as I just moved onto another notebook to use.

Last week, while I was typing, one of the keys came off. I called LeN0vo about the problem and they sent me a box to ship the machine back for them to fix. The person I spoke with documented the problems and I also wrote a note to them with the form that they supplied. (On a sidenote, the shipping container arrived late and this had never happened with any other company that I'd dealt with) Today, I received a call saying that I needed to replace the entire keyboard, and that the keyboard was not in the list of approved hardware defects and would not be covered under the warranty. I would need to buy another keyboard which would cost $285 plus who knows how much labour they decide to scam me with :mad: . I explained to her how the laptop was barely used, under warranty, and that it's in 100% physical condition aside from the missing key and feet. I asked her that if something happens that is not on the list, what happens? How can they eliminate a possible manufacturer's defect from a piece of plastic? I mean, what happens should a key break during normal use? Heck, I don't even use it that much. I provided all the parts that came apart and could've probably figured out how to snap it back together but I just figured I'd let LeN0vo handle it. Even a company with poor customer service and warranty would just go out and replace the keyboard if a key had fallen off.

On top of all this, they failed to look at the overheating problem, and the "melted" bottom feet. They only looked at the part where they could charge me. The rep said she would call me back tomorrow and if I don't get a reasonable resolution, hell would be raised. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Week of October 13: Case created.
October 17: Laptop shipped to LeN0vo.

Edit 1, October 22: Didn't get a callback as promised so I called my rep and she said that she hadn't heard back from anyone yet. Promised callback tomorrow. Bullocks on their promised 4 day turnaround time (supposed to include shipping back and forth as well).

Edit 2, October 22: Got a callback shortly after (someone must have forgotten to check her email...). Was referred to the tech in charge of repairing the machine who was in but didn't pick up. Left a message. Day ended with no callback.

Edit 3, October 23: Confirmed that the overheating problem was a faulty fan which would be replaced. Still waiting on a reply for the other issues.

Edit 4, October 24: Left another message with the tech. Rep said that the technician couldn't find the spring so he couldn't repair it, and that's why I'd need a new keyboard. Informed the rep that this laptop doesn't use a spring but a plastic bracket mounting assembly :rolleyes: , and that everything is included inside the box. Rep escalated the case and said I'll receive a reply by Tuesday from Customer Service. Still haven't received a callback from the tech.

Edit 5, October 27: Got a courtesy call from Customer Service which was nice. I thought they'd the machine for less than a week but upon reviewing my notes, it was actually on the week of the 13th. How time flies. We'll see what happens tomorrow when he calls back.

Edit 6, October 28: No call or email the entire day.

Edit 7, October 29: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message on his voicemail but I'm left hanging for 2 days as of now!

Edit 8, October 30: No call or email the entire day again! Left hanging for 3 days now!

Links provided by macuser:
GENERAL ThinkPad News/Comments & Questions
Escalation form

Edit 9, October 31: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message. Left hanging for 4 days now!

Edit 10, November 3: No call or email the entire day again! Left hanging for 7 days now!

Edit 10, November 4: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message. Left hanging for 8 days now!

Edit 11, November 5: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message and email. Left hanging for 9 days now!

Edit 12, November 6: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message. Left hanging for 10 days now!

Edit 13, November 7: No call or email the entire day again! Left another message. Left hanging for 10 days now! Called the original rep who had handled the case before it was escalated. She's going to email the Customer Service rep to find out what had happened and call me back.

Edit 14, November 10: Well I've had no contact from them for 13 days now. Tomorrow is a holiday so it'll be 15 days soon.

Edit 15, November 12: No call or email the entire day again! Left hanging for 15 days now!

Edit 16, November 13: No call or email the entire day again! Left hanging for 16 days now! Emailed LeN0vo this post.

Edit 17, November 14: No call or email so I called her twice on a whim which shot right to her voicemail. So it had been 17 days. Sent a message to Sam Palmisano as I'm pretty much out of options.

Edit 18, November 17: Received a call from a gentleman (Terence) regarding my message to Sam Palmisano. Information emailed to him and am now awaiting his reply. Nothing else to update from the other fronts.

Edit 19, November 18: Nothing again.

Edit 20, November 19: Got an email from Terrence saying that he'd just forwarded my case to the Canadian depot. Will update me tomorrow.

Edit 21, November 20: Nothing again.

Edit 22, November 21: Got a call from Terrence. Apparently the reason for the delay, and the fact that 3 people failed to return any of my calls and emails that I had made everyday was because the part was out of stock. :mad: He said that the rest of the machine had been repaired and shipped back and it will arrive next week. The keyboard would be shipped to me after they get stock. There is no ETA. Apparently, this was already done without my consent. I sure hope I'd be able to install the keyboard when and if it ever comes in.

Edit 23, November 24: Received my machine back and it was NOT repaired! In addition, there were scuff marks. Emailed Terrence.

Edit 24, November 25: Received an "automated" email from Terrence saying that he's out of the office until December 1st. Sigh, the wait continues.

Edit 25, November 26: Received the replacement keyboard in the mail. So apparently it's not out of stock now. The keyboard was dated May of this year so I KNOW it's not new stock that just came in. Refer to Edit 23 and infer what you will.
163 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21270 posts
2090 upvotes
My Fujitsu also lost a key. I called them and was also told keyboards are not included. Fujitsu is known to have one of the best warranty services, it looks like its Lenovo is no different. Just get some yellow ABS glue and glue the thing back together...worked for me.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15024 posts
1784 upvotes
Oshawa
I've always said LeNovo was a pile of crap, but nobody ever listened.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Kasakato wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 9:34 pm
My Fujitsu also lost a key. I called them and was also told keyboards are not included. Fujitsu is known to have one of the best warranty services, it looks like its Lenovo is no different. Just get some yellow ABS glue and glue the thing back together...worked for me.
My old IT company uses Dell. Sometimes we would request service for keyboards missing 4-6 keys with obvious physical damage and we'd have no problems getting it. I could understand if the machine was abuse but keys shouldn't come off with regular typing. If it's not included in the warranty, they should've specified it like the one year warranty thing with the battery.

Plus, the other issues weren't even looked at. It's their lack of service and professionalism that pisses me off.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7566 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
hehe ... I had a Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 ... 5 months in, the letters wore off most the keys. Dell sent me a box, a new keyboard, AND a plastic stick to pop the moulding off, oh, and they included, free of charge, the plastic/rubber 'bumpers' that go around the screen.

Then 3 DAYS after the main warranty expired, the battery crapped out. I called in, and the guy when I explained it was 3 days out of warranty, how 'convenient' for Dell that the battery would crap out then, he quickly agreed to send me a new one free, with return box.

All in all, I enjoyed my time with my Dell Laptop, but traded it for a decent desktop.
[external advertising link removed)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6501 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
Thinkpads are not the tank most people think they are. On the outside everything is super solid, but on the inside the quality is the same as any other laptop. My T40 had a solder joint problem on the gpu, I replaced the mobo and the replacement has the same problem.

I would buy another thinkpad again if the price was competitive with other brands. I understand that there should be a price premium for the great quality case that thinkpads have, but I feel that paying 25-50% more is too much.

If I am in the market for another laptop, I will wait for a great deal on a Dell laptop. I have no problems with the quality of Dell products, they are not great but atleast they are good value for the money. I would feel much better buying a well priced Dell and having it die on me than spending more money on a thinkpad and having that die on me.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14668 posts
1057 upvotes
Markham
once a reputation is built, it's rather hard to knock down
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
2940 posts
59 upvotes
Vernon
The few encounter's that I've had with Lenovo's customer service has been pretty great. I did have one rep who was a complete asshat, but I just phoned back later and got through to someone who actually helped me. I suggest phoning back and talking to a different rep.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1917 posts
30 upvotes
One of my co-worker from my previous job broke 3 Lenovo T60 laptop keyboard, although the company (IBM lol) paid for the repair. He types like a maniac though.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21270 posts
2090 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 10:12 pm
My old IT company uses Dell. Sometimes we would request service for keyboards missing 4-6 keys with obvious physical damage and we'd have no problems getting it. I could understand if the machine was abuse but keys shouldn't come off with regular typing. If it's not included in the warranty, they should've specified it like the one year warranty thing with the battery.

Plus, the other issues weren't even looked at. It's their lack of service and professionalism that pisses me off.
Dell is amazing with business warranty service. Its pretty hard to beat them.

Ill agree with you that Lenovo is not all that great these days. There still one of the best, however the takeover from IBM has lowered the bar.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
65 upvotes
I really like the Thinkpads. I wished IBM didn't sold the ThinkPad division to Lenovo. = :(
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
You are angry because the keyboard wasn't in their list of approved defects? How are you surprised by this? Get with the program - No consumer warranty will ever cover a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 10:12 pm
My old IT company uses Dell. Sometimes we would request service for keyboards missing 4-6 keys with obvious physical damage and we'd have no problems getting it. I could understand if the machine was abuse but keys shouldn't come off with regular typing.

Are you currently an IT company or a consumer? My suspicion is that if you're a commercial account then you'd get great service, otherwise, you're SOL.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 2:40 am
You are angry because the keyboard wasn't in their list of approved defects? How are you surprised by this? Get with the program - No consumer warranty will ever cover a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user.
Yep, it's practically the only part that you interact with on a regular basis.
Oct 2, 2004
337 posts
46 upvotes
IronMac wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 4:59 am
Yep, it's practically the only part that you interact with on a regular basis.

Yea, I second what they said. I'm more surprised about your thermal comment. Or again, ever more so that you sent a Lenovo to IBM over a key. A key. The plastic risers break/detach on the popular PC laptop lines regularly (hence what they said about it not being covered). I've replaced all kinds of them. They are like 2-5 dollars on eBay. Here is my advice to you: Request your laptop be sent back and purchase the broken key from an online seller. You'll have them both within a short time of each other. Replace it yourself and be done with it. In my opinion it's a waste of time and resources not only for you, but also for IBM for a laptop key. Wow, a key... I'm kind of baffled by this and you're thread bashing them.

All this being said, I also can't believe that after all this depletion of peoples time and resources that they won't replace a key, asking you to pay almost $300 dollars for a new keyboard. What is the world coming to? This whole thing gets crazier the more I think about it. I am amazed by the stupidity of the way things go all the time.. There's a lot of strange people walking around on this earth.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)