• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2013 12:46 pm
Dec 13, 2006
450 posts
167 upvotes
My Girlfriend lost 4 key on her Toshiba laptop, they did the repair at a local Toshiba licenced repair shop witout any fee.

I really like my lenovo Laptop :D
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 2:40 am
You are angry because the keyboard wasn't in their list of approved defects? How are you surprised by this? Get with the program - No consumer warranty will ever cover a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user.
Wear and tear? I barely used the notebook. And the key that came off is a symbol that I don't even use. I've had no issues with Dell replacing parts that were clearly abused.

And it doesn't explain why they failed to look at the other two problems when it had been documented twice.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
johnsmit90210 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 5:58 am

Yea, I second what they said. I'm more surprised about your thermal comment. Or again, ever more so that you sent a Lenovo to IBM over a key. A key. The plastic risers break/detach on the popular PC laptop lines regularly (hence what they said about it not being covered). I've replaced all kinds of them. They are like 2-5 dollars on eBay. Here is my advice to you: Request your laptop be sent back and purchase the broken key from an online seller. You'll have them both within a short time of each other. Replace it yourself and be done with it. In my opinion it's a waste of time and resources not only for you, but also for IBM for a laptop key. Wow, a key... I'm kind of baffled by this and you're thread bashing them.

All this being said, I also can't believe that after all this depletion of peoples time and resources that they won't replace a key, asking you to pay almost $300 dollars for a new keyboard. What is the world coming to? This whole thing gets crazier the more I think about it. I am amazed by the stupidity of the way things go all the time.. There's a lot of strange people walking around on this earth.
I'm bashing them because they failed to look at the other two issues that were documented by both the rep that I spoke to and I, but instead decided to send me a bill of $300 when I've included the parts that fell apart and it's easily fixable. The key is not broken. The pressure nipple that registers the input is not broken. The only thing that's wrong is the mechanism that supports the key from the nipple came apart. How hard is it for a LeN0vo trained service tech to pop the mechanism back in place? I bet I could do it too if I'd removed another key cap to see how it goes but I thought I'd let LeN0vo handle it since I was sending it anyways.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
grisensko wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 6:36 am
My Girlfriend lost 4 key on her Toshiba laptop, they did the repair at a local Toshiba licenced repair shop witout any fee.
Props to Toshiba. 4 missing keys for free versus $300 for a dissemble part that takes them 10 seconds to fix. :evil:
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30017 posts
1316 upvotes
Fernando Po
darkprince wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 1:39 am
I really like the Thinkpads. I wished IBM didn't sold the ThinkPad division to Lenovo. = :(
Seems to have been the beginning of the end for the thinkpads. Wait till they decide to spend more of that cash they've accumulated from selling to the N. American market, every product will go the same way.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3392 posts
35 upvotes
Milton
grisensko wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 6:36 am

I really like my lenovo Laptop :D
Very good service there from Toshiba.
Nov 23, 2004
711 posts
13 upvotes
Quarry Bay
Wow - I always thought the keyboard was covered by warranty? I never had a problem with replacing it and I've been through 4 keyboards on my T60 already as the keys started fading away.

In total, my laptop has had the front bezel replaced once, the keyboards replaced four times, the DVD-RW replaced once, and the HDD replaced once.

Never had a problem with replacement.

- Jason
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 3:12 pm
Wear and tear? I barely used the notebook. And the key that came off is a symbol that I don't even use. I've had no issues with Dell replacing parts that were clearly abused.

And it doesn't explain why they failed to look at the other two problems when it had been documented twice.
Just what is the point you are trying to make here? The fact is, a laptop's keyboard is classified as a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user. It doesn't matter if you've barely used the keyboard or used it everyday - it was something that was never going to be covered by warranty from the day you bought it (with the exception of a DOA). Somehow, all of this surprises you?!?!! Get with the program.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
2784 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
I beg to differ, I bought an R61 at the end of the summer and its rock solid. I've compared it to my friends' Dell, Sony, HP and Toshiba laptop and none are built as well as mine. The only laptop that seems better built is the Macbook Pro. Maybe thinkpads aren't as solid as they were a few years ago but I still think they're one of the best out there.
Heatware: spikyazn (11-0-0)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 2:25 am
Just what is the point you are trying to make here? The fact is, a laptop's keyboard is classified as a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user. It doesn't matter if you've barely used the keyboard or used it everyday - it was something that was never going to be covered by warranty from the day you bought it (with the exception of a DOA). Somehow, all of this surprises you?!?!! Get with the program.
Why don't you get with the program and actually read my posts?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
jyeung wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 10:53 pm
Wow - I always thought the keyboard was covered by warranty? I never had a problem with replacing it and I've been through 4 keyboards on my T60 already as the keys started fading away.

In total, my laptop has had the front bezel replaced once, the keyboards replaced four times, the DVD-RW replaced once, and the HDD replaced once.

Never had a problem with replacement.

- Jason
Could you please elaborate on what was wrong with your keyboard? If "wear and tear" is not covered as some people say :rolleyes: , then none of those keyboards should've been replaced. Just trying to make a point.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
sPiKyAZN wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 2:35 am
I beg to differ, I bought an R61 at the end of the summer and its rock solid. I've compared it to my friends' Dell, Sony, HP and Toshiba laptop and none are built as well as mine. The only laptop that seems better built is the Macbook Pro. Maybe thinkpads aren't as solid as they were a few years ago but I still think they're one of the best out there.
That's because you're probably comparing their consumer line with the Thinkpads. As someone else said earlier, all off them uses the same innards.

The problem I have with them is not their quality but their lack of customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 2:49 am
Why don't you get with the program and actually read my posts?
I have. You made it perfectly clear that you are upset for two reasons, the first i have pointed out as one that was unreasonable. The second I have made no comment about as I agree that it is something they should be looking at as well. But since my comments were only in relation to your first reason, I suggest if you were to argue with me on something that it be in relation to that as well.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7566 posts
389 upvotes
Scarborough
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 2:40 am
You are angry because the keyboard wasn't in their list of approved defects? How are you surprised by this? Get with the program - No consumer warranty will ever cover a part that goes through wear and tear by the end user.

Logitech has the BEST damn warranty for their equipment.
In 2005, I bought a good Keyboard the keys wore off in less th en 4 months (I type heavy and quickly). I got a replacement (upgraded slightly). 2 months into the 2nd keyboard, the spacebar wouldn't work anymore. Logitech replaced it for me. A few more months later, the mouse stopped charging, so they gave me the MX3000 set. I spent $80 on the original, and over a 1 yr period, I got 3 new keyboards, and didn't have to send the old ones back.
[external advertising link removed)