• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2013 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 7:47 am
I have. You made it perfectly clear that you are upset for two reasons, the first i have pointed out as one that was unreasonable. The second I have made no comment about as I agree that it is something they should be looking at as well. But since my comments were only in relation to your first reason, I suggest if you were to argue with me on something that it be in relation to that as well.
I think you clearly missed the points of my post. The second happened as a result of the first. I want to reiterate that I'm upset because they decided to look at repairing the part that they could charge for repairs and not the parts that was defective when the former was clearly documented as a problem in two places. The bracket assembly that supports the key on the keyboard fell apart and is not irreparable (and require a $300 keyboard) as they suggested. I'd included all the parts and it would've took the tech a couple seconds to put it back together.

So why do you ignore the problem and nitpick on something that's not even the main issue? As you can see from other posters, people had been getting up to 4 keyboard replacements on from other companies and IBM for issues that would be deemed "wear and tear." All I want is to be treated fairly, and for them to do their job and get my machine fixed. You're clearly an IBM fanboy and I don't blame you as I was one too until this experience.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
_Allan_ wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 11:04 am
Logitech has the BEST damn warranty for their equipment.
In 2005, I bought a good Keyboard the keys wore off in less th en 4 months (I type heavy and quickly). I got a replacement (upgraded slightly). 2 months into the 2nd keyboard, the spacebar wouldn't work anymore. Logitech replaced it for me. A few more months later, the mouse stopped charging, so they gave me the MX3000 set. I spent $80 on the original, and over a 1 yr period, I got 3 new keyboards, and didn't have to send the old ones back.
I've never had anything from Logitech break. Even better! :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
_Allan_ wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 11:04 am
Logitech has the BEST damn warranty for their equipment.
Yes Logitech does have excellant warranty that I am aware of - in relation to this thread however their keyboards are not considered a part, but rather the keyboard itself is their product which they cover. Laptops on the other hand is sold as a unit, and any unit's parts that go through wear and tear or is considered a consumable are never covered.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 12:37 pm
Yes Logitech does have excellant warranty that I am aware of - in relation to this thread however their keyboards are not considered a part, but rather the keyboard itself is their product which they cover. Laptops on the other hand is sold as a unit, and any unit's parts that go through wear and tear or is considered a consumable are never covered.
Just like a battery. Your comment is also supported by the dozens of people in this thread that got keyboard replacements for what you call "wear and tear" issues.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 8:30 pm
Today, I received a call saying that I needed to replace the entire keyboard, and that the keyboard was not in the list of approved hardware defects and would not be covered under the warranty. I would need to buy another keyboard which would cost $285 plus who knows how much labour they decide to scam me with :mad: .
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 12:32 pm
I think you clearly missed the points of my post. The second happened as a result of the first. I want to reiterate that I'm upset because they decided to look at repairing the part that they could charge for repairs and not the parts that was defective when the former was clearly documented as a problem in two places. The bracket assembly that supports the key on the keyboard fell apart and is not irreparable (and require a $300 keyboard) as they suggested. I'd included all the parts and it would've took the tech a couple seconds to put it back together.

So why do you ignore the problem and nitpick on something that's not even the main issue? As you can see from other posters, people had been getting up to 4 keyboard replacements on from other companies and IBM for issues that would be deemed "wear and tear." All I want is to be treated fairly, and for them to do their job and get my machine fixed. You're clearly an IBM fanboy and I don't blame you as I was one too until this experience.
Okay so let me get this straight - you are not mad that the keyboard isn't covered by warranty. Even though in your first post you bold faced the line "the keyboard was not in the list of approved hardware defects and would not be covered under the warranty. I would need to buy another keyboard which would cost $285 plus who knows how much labour they decide to scam me with" followed by an angry face means you were not upset by this at all. Right...

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are trying to clarify that you are upset that they went after something they can charge you to repair with? Well what did you expect them to do? Not fix it? Only fix the overheating problem and return the laptop to you with the key still broken? As far as I'm concerned there are two things that you need fixed - the broken key, and the overheating problem. Albeit that they overlooked the heating issue - the fact remains that your broken keyboard requires attention and you will be faced with this same exact issue sooner OR later. So based by your own admission, as far as I can tell, you have every right to be upset that they overlooked your overheating issue. But why in the world are you upset over getting charged for a replacement that was going to happen sooner or later anyway? Oh, that's right, you're mad because they went after something that was going to happen regardless. Well that doesn't make sense. Perhaps you were in fact mad that it's not covered by warranty afterall. :lol:

btw, business warranty service does not scale equally to consumer warranty service for obvious resasons. so any poster who have attested to getting their keyboards fixed or repaired through their company holds no merit to this.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 12:50 pm
Okay so let me get this straight - you are not mad that the keyboard isn't covered by warranty. Even though in your first post you bold faced the line "the keyboard was not in the list of approved hardware defects and would not be covered under the warranty. I would need to buy another keyboard which would cost $285 plus who knows how much labour they decide to scam me with" followed by an angry face means you were not upset by this at all. Sure thing buddy. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are trying to clarify that you are upset that they went after something that they can charge you to repair with? Well what did you expect them to do? Not fix it? Only fix the overheating problem and return your laptop to you with the key still broken? As far as I'm concerned there are two things that you need fixed - the broken key, and the overheating problem. Albeit that they overlooked the heating issue - the fact remains that your broken keyboard requires attention and you will be faced with this same exact issue sooner OR later. So based by your own admission, as far as I can tell, you have every to be upset that they overlooked your overheating issue. But why in the world are you upset about the keyboard aspect of it? Again, you would have to face the same issue sooner or later. The only thing I can conclude is the fact that you were in fact mad that it's not covered by warranty. :lol:

Btw, business warranties don't count - so the other posters who have attested to getting their laptop keyboards replaced in their workplace holds no merit to your argument as consumer warranties don't match up.
Your snide remarks are getting lame. Stop beating around the bush if you have nothing constructive to say.

1. They decided to look at a repair that they could bill me and completely overlooked what is important and needs to be fixed which is a severe overheating issue.
2. The key still works and the keyboard does not need to replace. Nothing is broken. Only the supporting bracket needs to be reassembled. Takes seconds for someone who knows what they're doing.

This sure sounds like good customer service to me...

Oh and how did you assume that the person who got 4 keyboards replaced was under a business warranty? He'd made no mention of it. Stop making assumptions and putting words in other people's mouths.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
I still don't understand why you'd be upset over something that was going to happen regardless - they were going to charge you to fix your keyboard sooner or later. Alright fair enough, if you want something constructive then you should take your laptop to an authorized lenovo repair center. When you sent your laptop in to Lenovo, what makes you think they had spare keys lying around in the case a customer came to them with a broken off key? The only thing they can do is replace the entire keyboard and charge you for it - which is exactly what they did. So can you blame them for that? No. However if you go to an authorized technician, they would likely have spare keys they'd be willing to install for free or for a nominal fee. I was referring to other posts earlier but just noticed the 4 keyboards replaced post. Well we don't have enough information to go on because it may have been replaced while it was still IBM. Regardless, the fact is your keyboard is not covered by Lenovo's warranty and you should not be upset about this. You should also not be upset over the fact they quoted you a charge for replacement. Yes, it's unfortunate that they overlooked the heating problem.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
4630 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
At first I did not think it would be great when IBM laptop became Lenovo laptop.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Feedback: HoFo | eBay | Heatware
Banned
Sep 1, 2008
466 posts
Toronto
Have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and absolutely NO problems. Very stable. Not recommended for gaming/entertainment but for business I'd say its pretty top notch. I heard the Dell Vostro is also good.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 1:46 pm
I still don't understand why you'd be upset over something that was going to happen regardless - they were going to charge you to fix your keyboard sooner or later. Alright fair enough, if you want something constructive then you should take your laptop to an authorized lenovo repair center. When you sent your laptop in to Lenovo, what makes you think they had spare keys lying around in the case a customer came to them with a broken off key? The only thing they can do is replace the entire keyboard and charge you for it - which is exactly what they did. So can you blame them for that? No. However if you go to an authorized technician, they would likely have spare keys they'd be willing to install for free or for a nominal fee. I was referring to other posts earlier but just noticed the 4 keyboards replaced post. Well we don't have enough information to go on because it may have been replaced while it was still IBM. Regardless, the fact is your keyboard is not covered by Lenovo's warranty and you should not be upset about this. You should also not be upset over the fact they quoted you a charge for replacement. Yes, it's unfortunate that they overlooked the heating problem.
Since you continue to nitpick on a minor issue and fail to address my main concern which is LeN0vo's lack of customer service, let me entertain you with a rebuttal of your main argument. I'm too lazy to reply to the same thing over and over again so I'll just quote myself...
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 3:22 pm
The key is not broken. The pressure nipple that registers the input is not broken. The only thing that's wrong is the mechanism that supports the key from the nipple came apart. How hard is it for a LeN0vo trained service tech to pop the mechanism back in place? I bet I could do it too if I'd removed another key cap to see how it goes but I thought I'd let LeN0vo handle it since I was sending it anyways.
and
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 3:32 pm
P4 missing keys for free versus $300 for a dissemble part that takes them 10 seconds to fix. :evil:
and
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 12:32 pm
The bracket assembly that supports the key on the keyboard fell apart and is not irreparable (and require a $300 keyboard) as they suggested. I'd included all the parts and it would've took the tech a couple seconds to put it back together.
and
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 1:13 pm
The key still works and the keyboard does not need to replace. Nothing is broken. Only the supporting bracket needs to be reassembled. Takes seconds for someone who knows what they're doing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2008
1316 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
I have done contract work for a number of laptop manufacturers (Lenovo, HP, Dell) and let me tell you that the company does not have it together.

It's too bad because I love my T42.
"blackbox 2.2 aluminus"[INDENT]
Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 / 16 GB DDR3
GTX 580 / Samsung 27"
Intel 320 120GB / Win7Pro64
[/INDENT]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
You have made it absolutely clear that you were upset on two things: the fact that the broken key was not covered by warranty, and the fact that they overlooked your heating issue. Am I putting words into your mouth? No, because you bold faced these two facts in your inital post. Then when I called you on it, you changed your story around by saying you were not upset about the warranty, (in spite of having the entire line in bold), you proceeded to cite the fact that you were upset because they went after something that they could charge you with. Well duh. As I stated earlier, they were going to charge you for one sooner or later, so why would you be upset about this fact? Now you are trying to get away with saying the important issue is their customer service. Well that's a generalization - if that's all you said in this thread then everyone would ask what was it about their service that you did not like. And the answer would be the two things I listed -- the broken key was not covered by warranty and they overlooked your heating issue. These two facts go hand in hand as your reason for dissatisfaction with their customer service.

The point i was trying to make is how do you know they even deal with broken off keys? What state your key is in does not matter. The mechanism that holds your key to the keyboard could be loose, it could be broken - it doesn't matter. And what I meant by broken off I have always been refering to the mechanism. If you can't comprehend the semantics and require me to describe it as having 'came off' then I'll do so to make it easier for you to understand. So, the key came off and they are not willing to repair it for one of two reasons: They simply do not deal with keys that come off the keyboard (therefore they'll simply sell you a new keyboard) OR they can't fix it because the mechanism is in fact irrepairable (having no choice but to sell you a new keyboard). Can you blame them for quoting you for a replacement? No. Yet somehow you believe they should simply re-attach the bracket. Now unless you have expert knowledge in how key bracket assembly works, I am going to take the word of their technicians who reported it as irrepairable over your ignorance in thinking that it can and that they should take the '10 seconds' to magically fix something that they reported as broken.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 11, 2004
5289 posts
16 upvotes
Midland
Well I must say I am glad to not here mr " I hate acer " also reply on this thread as well :P

Anyways sounds like another random occurance but I agree with your complaint.

I mean the reality is every company makes a dud every once in awhile, but they should man up & acknowledge them & do the work to make them work right.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | AsRock Fata1ty Gaming B450 | T-Force Vulcan DDR4 3000 16 gigs
Asus Xonar DX | Gigabyte Radeon 280x | Corsair 650HX | Fractial Designs Refine R5
Samsung 870 EVO 500 gig. M.2 | Seagate Firecuda 2 Tb | Win 10 Pro
Heatware 45-0|RFDware 13-0
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2004
3121 posts
462 upvotes
Asus sent me a brand new keyboard when one of my keys popped out one day. Couriered and free of charge, Asus has the best warrenty for laptops imo.
Member
Oct 12, 2005
207 posts
27 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
The ThinkPads have really gone downhill since Lenovo has fully taken over. They were all made in China anyway before the full transition, but for whatever reason, the T60 laptops starting from mid 2006 have really been not very good.

Since 2006, my company has bought thirty (maybe more) T60 or T61 laptops. The batteries on eight of them suffer from what I call "SBDS" - sudden battery death syndrome. The batteries are fine all along, and then one day, all of a sudden, as soon as the AC adapter is connected and the laptop is turned on, the battery indicator flashes amber, and once booted up and logged in, you get a warning saying there is some sort of "irrepairable damage" to the battery and has to be replaced. $260 down the drain... and this, as I mentioned before, happened eight times in the span of eighteen months. Of course, these are all out of warranty when these sudden battery deaths happened.

It's quite frustrating, but TPTB don't like switching to a different brand. I suggested Dell laptops, as we have all Dell desktops, but that was refused as there is some sort of unexplained hate towards Dell laptops...

Top