[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 7:50 pm
You have made it absolutely clear that you were upset on two things: the fact that the broken key was not covered by warranty, and the fact that they overlooked your heating issue. Am I putting words into your mouth? No, because you bold faced these two facts in your inital post. Then when I called you on it, you changed your story around by saying you were not upset about the warranty, (in spite of having the entire line in bold), you proceeded to cite the fact that you were upset because they went after something that they could charge you with. Well duh. As I stated earlier, they were going to charge you for one sooner or later, so why would you be upset about this fact? Now you are trying to get away with saying the important issue is their customer service. Well that's a generalization - if that's all you said in this thread then everyone would ask what was it about their service that you did not like. And the answer would be the two things I listed -- the broken key was not covered by warranty and they overlooked your heating issue. These two facts go hand in hand as your reason for dissatisfaction with their customer service.

The point i was trying to make is how do you know they even deal with broken off keys? What state your key is in does not matter. The mechanism that holds your key to the keyboard could be loose, it could be broken - it doesn't matter. And what I meant by broken off I have always been refering to the mechanism. If you can't comprehend the semantics and require me to describe it as having 'came off' then I'll do so to make it easier for you to understand. So, the key came off and they are not willing to repair it for one of two reasons: They simply do not deal with keys that come off the keyboard (therefore they'll simply sell you a new keyboard) OR they can't fix it because the mechanism is in fact irrepairable (having no choice but to sell you a new keyboard). Can you blame them for quoting you for a replacement? No. Yet somehow you believe they should simply re-attach the bracket. Now unless you have expert knowledge in how key bracket assembly works, I am going to take the word of their technicians who reported it as irrepairable over your ignorance in thinking that it can and that they should take the '10 seconds' to magically fix something that they reported as broken.
I'm not even going to argue with this Lenovo fanboy whose too blinded to see that most of the posters here do not agree with him. I've only stated my experience and yet this person's agenda is to twist my words and bash me on criteria that is irrelevant to my post like a true politician.

I'm not asking anyone to ditch Lenovo, but to be wary of warranty issues that may arise. I think my grievances are legitimate and if anyone thinks that I'm wrong by posting this, feel free to message a moderator to remove my post... otherwise go back to the hole you came from. :mad:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
terrybear wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 9:03 pm
Well I must say I am glad to not here mr " I hate acer " also reply on this thread as well :P

Anyways sounds like another random occurance but I agree with your complaint.

I mean the reality is every company makes a dud every once in awhile, but they should man up & acknowledge them & do the work to make them work right.
I couldn't say it better myself. The key and a new assembly costs less than $5 on Ebay but I'm going to fight this all the way just for the principle of it. LeN0vo might get away with it with companies who are too busy to care but I'm retired and have all the time on my hands. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Homer88 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 9:28 pm
Asus sent me a brand new keyboard when one of my keys popped out one day. Couriered and free of charge, Asus has the best warrenty for laptops imo.
And that's the way it is with every other company according to this thread (with the exception of Fujitsu although we don't know the circumstances of how the keyboard was broken).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
chrishch wrote:
Oct 24th, 2008 9:52 pm
The ThinkPads have really gone downhill since Lenovo has fully taken over. They were all made in China anyway before the full transition, but for whatever reason, the T60 laptops starting from mid 2006 have really been not very good.

Since 2006, my company has bought thirty (maybe more) T60 or T61 laptops. The batteries on eight of them suffer from what I call "SBDS" - sudden battery death syndrome. The batteries are fine all along, and then one day, all of a sudden, as soon as the AC adapter is connected and the laptop is turned on, the battery indicator flashes amber, and once booted up and logged in, you get a warning saying there is some sort of "irrepairable damage" to the battery and has to be replaced. $260 down the drain... and this, as I mentioned before, happened eight times in the span of eighteen months. Of course, these are all out of warranty when these sudden battery deaths happened.

It's quite frustrating, but TPTB don't like switching to a different brand. I suggested Dell laptops, as we have all Dell desktops, but that was refused as there is some sort of unexplained hate towards Dell laptops...
Ideas thrown around so far:
1. Reputation is hard to build/knock down
2. People attribute appearance of external parts to the quality of internal parts (most notebook manufacturer's uses the same parts but did you know that each Panasonic notebook is mechanically shaken for 4 hours before it's sold to determine there are no loose parts or solder?)

I would choose other companies over Dell but their customer service is top notched not to mention their hefty volume discounts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
How can you insinuate that I've twisted anything around when the statements that I have taken were your own admissions? Personally I am not a fanboy in the least, however do think you blew this way out of proportion. Your animosity towards this company stemmed from the original fact that it pissed you off when told it was not covered by warranty. Clearly you felt they were ripping you off and that they were after your money. I don't blame you either, I would be angry too if I believed I was being ripped off. However your assumptions from that point on hold little merit. If you don't want me to nitpick at the starting cause of your anger, then i'll digress about the second. At what point did you decide they overlooked your overheating problem?

When they called you back quoting a keyboard replacement, one of the following two happened: they made NO mention of the overheating problem and you were left thinking wtf you called me back about the keyboard and not do anything about my overheating?; OR you were vocal about it and inquired about your overheating problem and the rep doesn't know anything but will look into it for you. Either way, at this point you're already flipped out mad, deluded into the idea that they only went after something they could charge you money with, and overlooked your overheating problem. Well, have you even stopped to consider the possibility that they haven't looked into it *yet*?? Or the possibility that the technician haven't figured out the cause of your overheating problem *yet*? Or is it you somehow believe there is some special rule that the order they should repair your laptop must be the overheating first and *then* call you about the keyboard??? You're making nothing but assumptions at this point.

The only time you should ever definitively decide that a company has overlooked a problem is if they sent it back to you with the problem not fixed. You've made up your own assumptions out of anger. You assumed that the key can and should be fixed. Instead you assumed they are evil and looking to suck money for a keyboard. You assumed that they overlooked your overheating problem without knowing for a fact they did. If you stop being full of assumptions, then perhaps you can finally view this in perspective.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2008 9:26 am
How can you insinuate that I've twisted anything around when the statements that I have taken were your own admissions? Personally I am not a fanboy in the least, however do think you blew this way out of proportion. Your animosity towards this company stemmed from the original fact that it pissed you off when told it was not covered by warranty. Clearly you felt they were ripping you off and that they were after your money. I don't blame you either, I would be angry too if I believed I was being ripped off. However your assumptions from that point on hold little merit. If you don't want me to nitpick at the starting cause of your anger, then i'll digress about the second. At what point did you decide they overlooked your overheating problem?

When they called you back quoting a keyboard replacement, one of the following two happened: they made NO mention of the overheating problem and you were left thinking wtf you called me back about the keyboard and not do anything about my overheating?; OR you were vocal about it and inquired about your overheating problem and the rep doesn't know anything but will look into it for you. Either way, at this point you're already flipped out mad, deluded into the idea that they only went after something they could charge you money with, and overlooked your overheating problem. Well, have you even stopped to consider the possibility that they haven't looked into it *yet*?? Or the possibility that the technician haven't figured out the cause of your overheating problem *yet*? Or is it you somehow believe there is some special rule that the order they should repair your laptop must be the overheating first and *then* call you about the keyboard??? You're making nothing but assumptions at this point.

The only time you should ever definitively decide that a company has overlooked a problem is if they sent it back to you with the problem not fixed. You've made up your own assumptions out of anger. You assumed that the key can and should be fixed. Instead you assumed they are evil and looking to suck money for a keyboard. You assumed that they overlooked your overheating problem without knowing for a fact they did. If you stop being full of assumptions, then perhaps you can finally view this in perspective.
Lol. How ironic considering your entire post was made from the assumption that I did not know whether the heating issue was addressed. You want to know how I know? By the fact that:

1. My rep didn't know that there was a heating issue judging from the report from the tech so she sent an email to him to take a look at it again. This was after I told her that I had documented my problems twice, once with my initial service call and once on the packing form. (And I'll like to add that they're supposed to document everything that went on so none of that "maybe he did it but didn't write it down" crap)
2. I received the call a day after I was guaranteed to receive the machine back. What can you speculate from this? I think it is safe to conclude that they were late regardless of whether they looked at the problem or not (which they didn't).

Just quit the "what if" scenarios already. It's rather pathetic how you're making stuff up and speculating just to defend them.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1012 posts
193 upvotes
IronMac wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 4:59 am
Yep, it's practically the only part that you interact with on a regular basis.
IronMac wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2008 4:58 am
Are you currently an IT company or a consumer? My suspicion is that if you're a commercial account then you'd get great service, otherwise, you're SOL.
Unfortunately keyboards are not covered under warranty by ANY manufacturer unless you get the Accidental damage insurance. Second - you cannot compare LE accounts to consumers, regardless of the company.

As an aside, my T42 has had more abuse in 3 months then most people do in the ownership of a system and it still lights up every morning.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1012 posts
193 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2008 2:54 am
I'm not even going to argue with this Lenovo fanboy whose too blinded to see that most of the posters here do not agree with him. I've only stated my experience and yet this person's agenda is to twist my words and bash me on criteria that is irrelevant to my post like a true politician.

I'm not asking anyone to ditch Lenovo, but to be wary of warranty issues that may arise. I think my grievances are legitimate and if anyone thinks that I'm wrong by posting this, feel free to message a moderator to remove my post... otherwise go back to the hole you came from. :mad:

Have you tried opening a complaint - like an escalation? I know with Rogers that the front line staff are limited to what they can do - but if you get to their second level they'll bend over backwards.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2008 2:01 pm
My rep didn't know that there was a heating issue
Exactly my point - I've made no assumptions, the only thing your post did was champion my argument. :lol:
As i have deduced, the rep was not aware of a heating issue. The technician reported to the rep that the bracket was broken and needed to know if you wished for them to proceed with a replacement. So that leaves open the possibility that the technician either has not looked into the overheating issue yet, or has not found the overheating issue yet. When informed that the rep was not aware of a heating issue what you should have done was ask the rep to make sure they were on top of it - and leave it at that. Instead you assumed at this point that it had been overlooked. The only time you can definitively say it had been overlooked is if you received the laptop back with the problem not fixed. However, feeling angry and ripped off, you jumped to your own conclusions and in a fit of rage, created this thread to flame them with your assumptions.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
napoleon1769 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2008 2:26 pm
My rep didn't know that there was a heating issue
Cafe_333 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2008 2:26 pm
Exactly my point - I've made no assumptions, the only thing your post did was champion my argument. :lol:
As i have deduced, the rep was not aware of a heating issue. The technician reported to the rep that the bracket was broken and needed to know if you wished for them to proceed with a replacement. So that leaves open the possibility that the technician either has not looked into the overheating issue yet, or has not found the overheating issue yet. When informed that the rep was not aware of a heating issue what you should have done was ask the rep to make sure they were on top of it - and leave it at that. Instead you assumed at this point that it had been overlooked. The only time you can definitively say it had been overlooked is if you received the laptop back with the problem not fixed. However, feeling angry and ripped off, you jumped to your own conclusions and in a fit of rage, created this thread to flame them with your assumptions.
How convenient of you to quote only part of my post. :rolleyes:

Here's my actual post:
napoleon1769 wrote:
1. My rep didn't know that there was a heating issue judging from the report from the tech so she sent an email to him to take a look at it again. This was after I told her that I had documented my problems twice, once with my initial service call and once on the packing form. (And I'll like to add that they're supposed to document everything that went on so none of that "maybe he did it but didn't write it down" crap)
Yeah, I'm sure none of them knew about the problem after it was documented twice. :rolleyes: I guess I should spell it out for you just like I do in every post. It's amazing how you continue to trashtalk after being owned point by point.

1. Rep A from the call center who took the call documented the notes + my notes that was sent with the machine.
2. Tech who was suppose to repair the machine.
3. Rep B that was subsequently assigned to correspond between me and the tech.

And btw, how many times do you need to edit each of your posts? Nice to see that the majority of your posts were edited and that you have the time to spend up to half an hour on one just to cover up your tracks. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
My rep didn't know that there was a heating issue judging from the report from the tech.
That doesn't prove a thing - I was not intentionally trying to omit any part of your post i was merely highlighting the point of it. In any case, if you felt the need to highlight the entire statement then fine, it still doesn't change my argument: The technician reports to the rep that the bracket was broken and needed to know if you wished for them to proceed with a replacement. The rep did not know anything about an overheating problem. Based on this, you don't know for a fact that it was overlooked but assumed that they have. How do you know that the technician has not looked into the overheating issue yet? Or that he has been looking and have not yet found the heating issue?

What the technician has been able to determine so far was a broken bracket and needed to know if you wanted the keyboard replaced. There is just absolutely no definitive way of you knowing that anything was overlooked unless you spoke to the technician himself, or received the laptop back with the problem not fixed. You just don't know. You just assumed. What you should have done was ask the rep to make sure they check the overheating and leave it at that. You just can't assume that they didn't or had no intention to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
184 upvotes
Edmonton
Lol. Nobody could be that stupid. Probably a troll who has nothing better to do or a LeN0vo fanboy.

I probably missed some of you but I'd like to thank everyone who sent help and suggestions via PM. I'll keep you guys all up to date.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
I still don't see how you've owned me on anything. You have yet to refute any of the points I've made except to consistently change your story around. I've proven point by point on every basis of my argument. Don't believe it? I stated that you were upset over the fact that the broken key was not covered by warranty. You bold faced this fact in your initial post. You couldn't disprove this, so instead you changed your story around citing that you were not upset about warranty but upset that they went after something they could charge you with.

I called BS on that point because why would you get upset if it's something they are going to charge you with sooner or later, showing that you were in fact upset about the warranty after all. You decided not to own me on this either and changed your story yet again citing how I'm only nitpicking about the key and not the important issue which is the customer service that you experienced. I again called BS because if that's all you said in this thread then everyone would have asked what was it about their service that you did not like - and the answer would be the broken key not covered by warranty and overlooked heating issue. These two facts go hand in hand as your reason for dissatisfaction with their customer service.

You couldn't refute me on this either, so instead decided to cry foul about how I twisted your words, and bashed you on what you deemed a minor issue in your experience. Well, hold the phones.... so according to you, you were not upset about the whole warranty thing and feel the major issue was their oversight. Honestly now, if their rep told me the keyboard needed replacing, and I'm not at all upset by this, then I'd tell them a simple yes or no. Then when I inquire about the overheating, and the rep tells me he doesn't know anything about it, all of a sudden this triggers me to get into a huge fit of rage? I don't know about you, but if that's what gets me mad, then I'd look pretty stupid - but that's just me. At worst I'd probably get annoyed, yet somehow you feel this is the major issue? I call BS on that as well. The real major issue here is that you felt you were being ripped off.

Then I proceeded to question at what point did you know for a fact that it was overlooked? Unless you spoke to the technician yourself, which you clearly didn't, then you don't know definitively that the problem has been overlooked, has yet to be looked at, or is still being looked at. Either way, I don't know why we're nitpicking on what is clearly a minor issue here, so it doesn't matter to me much what really happend here. The only real issue I've maintained to have was the one major issue that you were pissed off about - the key not being covered by warranty. If you want to pretend to everyone that it isn't, that the oversight is the major issue, then you've only made assumptions there. However I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt. It still doesn't explain why you were flipping mad about the key not being covered by warranty. You've just been blowing everything out of proportion.

Everything I have stated were based from your own statements, nothing has been twisted around. So stop fantasizing yourself into the delusion that you've owned me point by point. All you've done is consistently change your story while I've been owning you point by point. Of course if you got with the program and actually read my posts, I wouldn't have had to consolidate basically a repeat of everything I have already said. Thank you for wasting everyone's time because you can't comprehend any of this.