Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton
macuser wrote:
Nov 26th, 2008 8:11 pm
Crap, I must have cursed myself or something >.<

Now it's my turn - the Intel GMA X4500 in my T400 is dying. Second problem requiring a motherboard replacement in less than 90 days of owning the machine... I'm trying to push for a replacement machine, and failing that, I'll use the purchase protection on my Visa to get a replacement. Time to play the game of "find the manager"!
Are you going to submit an insurance claim to your Visa? I might've to use that as a last resort but I just wish LeN0vo would man up and get my machine fixed.
Aug 22, 2006
821 posts
1 upvote
London
napoleon1769 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2008 4:27 am
Are you going to submit an insurance claim to your Visa? I might've to use that as a last resort but I just wish LeN0vo would man up and get my machine fixed.
If Lenovo doesn't give me a replacement machine, I'll use it.
I also posted to the Lenovo forums about it.
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/mess ... rue#M23768
And I just realized that it's American Thanksgiving today - but really, the manager could have called me back Wednesday or Tuesday!

Day counter:
- Today is day 72 of me owning the machine after delivery
- I have spent a total of 34 days with a good working machine.
- I have spent a total of 14 days with no machine.
- Today is day 24 of using a defective machine, including the previous fan issue.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30231 posts
1405 upvotes
Fernando Po
napoleon - your experience sounds so much like mine with Canon. But at least, you've actually managed to speak to someone other than the front desk person. In my case, they did lose my property and were not willing to tell me.

Have you tried my suggestion of working up the pyramid? First customer relations, get a name. Then VP with name. Then President naming everyone you've dealt with to get it resolved.

Lenovo is now off my list.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10394 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
Weird experience with Lenovo.

I own both a X60 and X61t. A friend of mine had a problem with a key on his X60, it broke off. They sent him a replacement keyboard - no machine to return, no keyboard to return.

I just put a request in yesterday as well. My space bar is acting up, so I phoned in to inquire about it. They asked if I was comfortable with replacing the keyboard myself, and I said yes. They are sending me a replacement keyboard, nothing to send in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5571 posts
494 upvotes
I owned T42, R50e and now a T61. It's been great.

When I first got my T61, The trackpoint was not centered, I dropped by one of the service depot, they look at it and agree.

They order a replacement keyboard, it came the next day, installation took 15 mins. A few months later, the wireless card died, they sent me a replacement. It came in the courier like 3 days later, I installed it myself. Since then, the computer is running without a hitch.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42722 posts
3291 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 5:09 pm
Weird experience with Lenovo.

I own both a X60 and X61t. A friend of mine had a problem with a key on his X60, it broke off. They sent him a replacement keyboard - no machine to return, no keyboard to return.

I just put a request in yesterday as well. My space bar is acting up, so I phoned in to inquire about it. They asked if I was comfortable with replacing the keyboard myself, and I said yes. They are sending me a replacement keyboard, nothing to send in.
Did they ask you to send the old keyboard back? I had to send my old harddrive back when I did a warranty claim.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10394 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
Jon Lai wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 7:31 pm
Did they ask you to send the old keyboard back? I had to send my old harddrive back when I did a warranty claim.
Thought my post was clear - didn't have to send anything back. They aren't about to go refurbish a keyboard for someone else's use, whereas a HD, you need to send it back so they can refurb it and give it to the next person.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
JAC wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2008 10:01 pm
I've always said LeNovo was a pile of crap, but nobody ever listened.
I totally agree with you dude. I know also a friend who deals with laptops and she told me to stay and NEVER buy them because they are subpar...

I have also never understood why some people love these. Surely there are other laptop lovers out there of other brands who stand by their products and who will honor their warranty. I am for Toshiba, Sony or Dell.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42722 posts
3291 upvotes
Richmond Hill
George W. Bush wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:59 pm
I totally agree with you dude. I know also a friend who deals with laptops and she told me to stay and NEVER buy them because they are subpar...

I have also never understood why some people love these. Surely there are other laptop lovers out there of other brands who stand by their products and who will honor their warranty. I am for Toshiba, Sony or Dell.
Because we have no problems with their service. Yes, sometimes they take forever to send you stuff, but to me the 2-3 weeks wait is worth it because the quality of their laptops are superb. With regards to service, I've had great service from them and issues were resolved in a matter of days.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 3:50 pm
Because we have no problems with their service. Yes, sometimes they take forever to send you stuff, but to me the 2-3 weeks wait is worth it because the quality of their laptops are superb. With regards to service, I've had great service from them and issues were resolved in a matter of days.
Regardless of their service, I don't think there should be THIS many issues with the laptops and things dying... even if they fix it for free and do it quickly, they should still be using better parts then this! I feel sorry for some of you guys, I would be soo pissed if I got a brand new $1,000 + laptop and had it die or have a part on me break within the first month... absolutely unacceptable.
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12329 posts
1392 upvotes
maybe just consumer level, never had issues with biz calls :lol:
hard drive was dead, got a replacement with overnight shipping;
the higher end laptops are good, not those consumer/non-biz ones
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2573 posts
282 upvotes
George W. Bush wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:59 pm

subpar compared to what?? Not compared to most POS acer, hp's, compaq's, toshiba.... Those are all pieces of crap. Just look at them. cheap plastic feel, poor keyboards, bottom of the barrel processors/RAM etc.... Lenovo has the nicest machines out there (except some of the higher end dell's)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2072 posts
74 upvotes
Almost every manufacturer has a line that is crap. Most of these also have a line that is half decent, usually a business line.

Thinkpads built a rep for being the best hardware quality when IBM was making the machines. Then they sold the majority share. I'll say it, Lenovo is based in China and their R&D isn't as crucial as IBM's was. Therefore, the quality dropped off considerably.

I would also probably pass on the newer Thinkpads. I would, instead, look at Dells and Asus laptops. Toshiba might be good, too, but not their Satellite line. Again, you have to look at which line (and model), we're talking about.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2573 posts
282 upvotes
teleguitar wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 7:52 am
Almost every manufacturer has a line that is crap. Most of these also have a line that is half decent, usually a business line.

Thinkpads built a rep for being the best hardware quality when IBM was making the machines. Then they sold the majority share. I'll say it, Lenovo is based in China and their R&D isn't as crucial as IBM's was. Therefore, the quality dropped off considerably.

I would also probably pass on the newer Thinkpads. I would, instead, look at Dells and Asus laptops. Toshiba might be good, too, but not their Satellite line. Again, you have to look at which line (and model), we're talking about.
Very true, IBM laptops were nicer then their lenovo counterparts. But lets compare similarly priced lines. I would opt for a $800 lenovo (T400 on sale) vs a $700 acer/toshiba/etc... Dell would also be an option. They do have some really nice machines, as well as pretty good support as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1179 posts
38 upvotes
wiebecj wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 12:21 pm
Very true, IBM laptops were nicer then their lenovo counterparts. But lets compare similarly priced lines. I would opt for a $800 lenovo (T400 on sale) vs a $700 acer/toshiba/etc... Dell would also be an option. They do have some really nice machines, as well as pretty good support as well.
It's hard to say, if it's better Thinkpad run by IBM or Lenovo....

IBM sold Thinkpad to Lenovo because they didn't get but losing money...a good product with good quality and service but NOT money-earing...

No buisness wants to lose money. For IBM, keep Thinkpad and get money, the only way is to raise sale price. That's another way to kill Thinkpad. So they sold it and get the money.

For Lenovo, it's a good deal because it need the whole team to build a outstanding product. Design, sales, service, and brand reputation. Thinkpad survived by money gathered by Lenovo crap laptop sales.

Why did IBM not sell Thinkpad to other companies? Money is one issue, and the most important thing is, Lenovo does need the whole team and would not fire parts of employee. It's hard for Dell, HP, Toshiba to keep this promise. They have full team already.

So it's a two-win. The quality, thanks to the original team saved, although the manufacture line moved to China, is still reasonable compare with it's price. I don't think you could get the same quality and price from other brands.

Service? It's case to case, all the same. A nice one you got solved everything; or you were supposed to pay $300 for some plastic KEY. It's no wrong if they charge, theorically, or free, functionally.