Shopping Discussion

Do not buy vanilla pre-paid visa gift cards!!!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2015 12:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada

Do not buy vanilla pre-paid visa gift cards!!!!!!

Okay this is fricking ridiculous... I have been using Van City Gift Cards for ages WITHOUT PROBLEMS. But, I couldn't buy them on a Sunday, so I purchased the VANILLA MASTERCARD PRE-PAID at 7-11 and have had nothing but problems.

1 transaction over charged me $7.50 on Visa's end (not the store's end)

1 transaction over charged me $1.00 on Visa's end (I still need to double check why)

I tried to call them with the number on the card AND THEIR ANSWERING SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

Are you fricking serious? You have billions of dollars and a costumer can't even call you? That's stupid.

Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever get my money back... but I do know one thing, I AM ONLY BUYING VAN CITY Pre-Paid Visa Gift Card's!

I am also not shopping at 7-11 again until 2012!
35 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1171 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
scoobydoo wrote:
Sep 21st, 2011 1:51 pm
Okay this is fricking ridiculous... I have been using Van City Gift Cards for ages WITHOUT PROBLEMS. But, I couldn't buy them on a Sunday, so I purchased the VANILLA MASTERCARD PRE-PAID at 7-11 and have had nothing but problems.

1 transaction over charged me $1.00 on Visa's end (I still need to double check why)

I tried to call them with the number on the card AND THEIR ANSWERING SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

Are you fricking serious? You have billions of dollars and a costumer can't even call you? That's stupid.

Needless to say, I doubt I'll ever get my money back... but I do know one thing, I AM ONLY BUYING VAN CITY Pre-Paid Visa Gift Card's!

Yeah, these prepaid Visas are well known for these charges.. They will charge you for everything they can including to use it.... I have only heard bad things about them.
Feb 21, 2002
506 posts
37 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
Sep 21st, 2011 1:51 pm

Canada's Best Prepaid Mastercard and Visa Cards Reloadable Works Everywhere

http://dan.matan.ca/Canadian-Prepaid-Ma ... nformation

Later, Thunder :)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3125 posts
90 upvotes
I never encountered any problems such as those when I used vanilla prepaid visa/mc online.
Feb 19, 2012
1 posts
On December 20th 2011 I bought a Visa Prepaid Gift Card for my husband for a Christmas gift. This was a $75.00 Gift Card which I also paid $5.50 for an activation fee. The card in total cost me $80.50. When my husband went to use the card he was unable to do so. Apparently the company packaged the cards wrong and we did not receive a working card. We call them immediately and were unable to fix this issue over the phone. The request that we fax the front and back of the card, the package and the store receipt of the purchased card. We did this beginning of January and a week later we were told they could not read the numbers on the front of the card. So I went back to staples and re-faxed it again on 20 Jan. One month later and no calls or new card I call them again. Apparently they still can’t read the front of the card and can’t give us our money back or a new card. So as of right now Vanilla Visa has stolen our money and wont do anything to fix. I am going to be trying a new method of getting my money back by scanning the stupid card in color. Maybe now they can read it and stop stealing our money. If any of you out there were affected by this leave a post.

Also to those out there that bought these cards from Shoppers Drug Mart and did not retain a receipt and lost their money because they will not reimburse you or send you a new card without one, Please leave a post with your story. Maybe we can get enough followers on this group that we will get their attention and everyone can get their money back. My advice never again by a Visa Prepaid Gift Card!

Join the group below
http://www.facebook.com/groups/177740905672089/
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1630 posts
187 upvotes
I'll never understand why somebody would pay VISA to use what is essentially a giftcard. Hell, giftcards in general pretty much suck, but to pay a fee and have to jump through hoops to use my money makes little sense.

Cash rules.
Sep 19, 2006
10 posts
1 upvote
I can list a bunch of examples of why they are better than other ways of paying.

One is if you play poker online you can fund your account without any connection to your bank.
Banks have been known to shut accounts for this reason and from personal experience,I dont like the intruding questions from the tellers.

Of course you get the money out a different way but thats just a clue as to why people use them.
Jan 4, 2008
703 posts
134 upvotes
Gatineau
I have never had any issues with Vanilla MasterCard's or Visa's and I have been using them for the past 2 years
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15792 posts
2459 upvotes
Toronto
btw, there is also a monthly maintenance fees on the gc, once it's activated. I think it's $2.50 per month.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1103 posts
133 upvotes
Canada
booblehead wrote:
Feb 21st, 2012 1:56 pm
btw, there is also a monthly maintenance fees on the gc, once it's activated. I think it's $2.50 per month.

The fees usually kicks in around 7th or 12th months after activation, depending on the product.

And no, I have not had problems using the cards for the past 1.5 years either. However, because the lack of address registration for the mastercard, it was declined when I tried to pay my mobile phone bill online (but I just use it elsewhere)
Oct 24, 2008
26 posts
Anyone know if these types of Visa Cards can be reloaded or more funds added to them? And if so, how easy is it to do?
Thanks for the reply.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1103 posts
133 upvotes
Canada
Prov1 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 4:25 pm
Anyone know if these types of Visa Cards can be reloaded or more funds added to them? And if so, how easy is it to do?
Thanks for the reply.
Vanilla Visa is not reloadable but there are plenty of other options ... all listed on this thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/prepaid- ... ds-532830/
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18493 posts
926 upvotes
jrees wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 11:19 pm
I'll never understand why somebody would pay VISA to use what is essentially a giftcard. Hell, giftcards in general pretty much suck, but to pay a fee and have to jump through hoops to use my money makes little sense.

Cash rules.
There are many reasons people use these cards.

a) They got them as a promotion or rebate from a company (IE NCIX Amex Rebate)
b) An idiot relative gave them to them as a gift when they should have given cash or a cheque
c) They are under 18 and thus can not get a credit cards, and want to shop online
d) They are under 18 and moving away to college and mommy / daddy want easy ways to send them funds (they just re-load their card)
e) They are under 18 and their parents would rather give them their allowance this way because a) if it is stolen or lost you can get it cancelled and replaced, b) You can spy on your kid's purchases
f) They are a member of the tinfoil-hat crowd and don't want "the man" knowing what they buy online
g) They have horrible credit and want to shop online or don't want members of the opposite sex to know they have no credit.
Trace wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 11:36 pm
One is if you play poker online you can fund your account without any connection to your bank.
Banks have been known to shut accounts for this reason and from personal experience,I dont like the intruding questions from the tellers.
Er, what? Of all the reasons I listed - this one makes no sense, unless it is another category of (f). Online gambling is LEGAL in Canada so the bank can't
"shut down your account", you are getting confused with the USA. At worst they could reject the transaction, but all Canadian banks I know of work with online gaming. They charge the funding as a cash advance, but that is expected since it's good as cash so what else would you expect.

And if a bank teller ever snooped in my credit card transactions for any reason whatsoever I would complain to the bank manager that they should be reprimanded or else I am taking all of my assets elsewhere.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 18, 2009
46 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've used Vanilla mastercards before and had zero issues with them. But i tend to use the balance in full the day i get it tho.
× < >