Automotive

DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
47 upvotes

DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!

So I've been a poster on RFD for a very long time, so hopefully that will give me the credibility of telling you this story about Canadian Tire Auto Service that I experienced lately. It was pretty horrific, as I had alot of passengers in my van at that time - so please do not think that I am taking this out of proportion, because I am not. I literally almost got injured along with my passengers. I'm sure if others were in the similar situation, they would feel the same way.

If Canadian Tire seriously thinks that by giving me a dinky gift card will get me to shut my mouth, they are wrong. I told them the SAME thing over the phone when they called. I will do my part and let the public know how dangerous their practices are, and how they are very irresponsible corporately and noone should trust them or their Auto department for servicing because clearly they have no strong ethics nor core principles to standby. I would probably do a complete audit of all their mechanics/management and reevaluate their processes completely.

Day 1

- I went to Canadian Tire at Main + Danforth to get my car serviced. My waterpump was leaking coolant, and needed to be replaced.
- I got a quote of ~$600 bucks to get it replaced and also said they would do my brakes at the rear, and rotate my tires in that package.
- I picked up the car later on in the evening and noticed problems such as "waterfall/trickling noises in the engine", and "high vibrations of the car" when i was accelerating pass 70km/h.

Day 2

- I went back to Canadian Tire to get it rechecked, clearly something was wrong.
- They identified that the "trickling" noise was normal, the waterpump was fine, and that there were no air pockets. As for the high vibrations, they said it must've been the rotation of the tires, so they asked me if i would like to rotate them back, I said yes.
- I picked up the car, but this time the trouble didn't happen until later on that evening. I was with a few other friends in my van, driving. My brakes felt like they were seizing up, someone on the road signalled me to pull over because my rear wheels were smoking heavily. I pulled over, and noticed the strong fire burning smell at my rear brakes, and was lucky I stopped when I did. I got a CAA truck and towed it to the Canadian tire AGAIN.

Day 3

- This time I tried to talk to the srvc manager. She wasn't in. So I told the mechanic and associate in a nice manner what happened. When they looked at it, they realized the mechanic tightned the drum too much, causing the brakes to seize up at the back and generate smoke. They fixed it, and that was that. Nothing else, no apologies, no redemption, nothing. It was like it didnt' happen at all and they just scraped it off their plates.
- I drove off, and find that something ELSE happened. I heard this very sharp ticking metal noise in my engine. I told my friend who was a mechanic to check it out. My belts (accessory and timing) were all put on wrong (the belt jumped a tooth), and my pulley was all messed up and worn out.

Day 4

- THIS time i spoke to the srvc manager. She kept apologizing but couldn't do anything for me but fix my car. The problem was, she made me PAY for everything (the belts, the labour, the pulley) which cost another ~$300. They said they had RECOMMENDED me this on Day 2 and showed me a sheet that I had NEVER seen before NOR has anyone mentioned it to me. They claim that they recommended this then, and would've charged me the same. The parts were approx $80, so they are charign me ADDITIONAL labour for somethign I would've told them to do in Day 2 since I DO NOT BELIEVE extra labour would've been required.
- They said they can't do anything about it, thats the price, and if I dont want it, then she's very sorry about it. And that's their way of fixing the problem.

Conclusion?

- Of course I had to pay it. It was dangerous to even DRIVE it on the road with a broken timing belt/accesory belt/pulley. The belt looked like it was RIPPED to shreads b/c SOMEONE put it on wrong, not because it needed replacing. If it NEEDED replacing, this would've been discovered by teh mechanic and MYSELF (b/c of the noise) prior to all this. But before all this happened, NOTHING was wrong BUT the waterpump. What's funny is that the waterpump REQUIRES you to remove the belts and put them on again, coincidence? I honestly do not think so.

I spoke with corporate office, they gave me some dinky gift card. That's their solution. I told them I will not let this go as this is about principle and you are not correcting any mistakes. I have decided to really take this to the news as well (i will be sending this story to the star, the sun, metro news, as well as city tv). I hope they do cover it and investigate because I am just very upset that SOMEONE has to get into an accident or injury BEFORE someone's voice gets heard.

I'm here to prevent all of you from getting hurt, and I hope you take what I said to heart and spread the word to your friends and family. This is just utter ridiculous, and if i can save ONE person from getting hurt cuz of their irresponsible practices, then I can sleep better at night (unlike the CT auto dept.).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know as well. I seriously can't believe I paid ~$900 bucks just to skip a day off work, spend 4 days at Canadian Tire, and endanger the lives of my friends and myself.

Thank you guys for hearing me out.
rems wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:00 pm
yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
216 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
I figured with so many warning from RFD, people would stop going to CT ...
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18609 posts
3709 upvotes
Thornhill
TenzoR wrote:
Nov 17th, 2009 11:06 am
Yeap.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16396 posts
1100 upvotes
Woodbridge
How many threads do we need to get RFD's to avoid taking their cars to Canadian Tire?

Sorry to hear and I do hope you get somebody's attention to look at their practices/mechanics.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9361 posts
1903 upvotes
Toronto
TenzoR wrote:
+2

If your friend is a mechanic,. why would you bring your car to CT?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2553 posts
159 upvotes
ever since they installed a catalytic converter backwards on my parents van i havn't trusted canadian tire service people to sit the right way on a toilet seat.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
7jai wrote:
Nov 17th, 2009 11:01 am
Thank you guys for hearing me out.
The problem was you did not hear us out.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4376 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
GG for going to CT.
ES PRODUCTIONS
Professional Photography Services

#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23786 posts
1641 upvotes
Hamilton
TenzoR wrote:
+1 and spending $900.......

Sorry to hear man.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3318 posts
442 upvotes
gman wrote:
Nov 17th, 2009 12:09 pm
The problem was you did not hear us out.
lol...good old cdn tire, what more can be said, they have the most experienced 18yr olds working on your cars lol
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1089 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
sucks that you have to go thru that......

One time I went into CT asking for a 2 wheel alignment to correct my steering wheel angle.... the mechanic said, "without the 4 wheel alignment, it still won't fix the steering wheel angle."

After I heard that........i left immediately. Obviously, these guys have zero idea of what alignment means.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1530 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Let's sticky all "do not go to ct for service" to the top!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
I'm curious to know, is CT a lot cheaper that's why people go to them?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes
After all these stories I don't think I would even let CT put wiper blades on my car.

but saying that, I still do my oil changes at walmart :D
so far so good, crossing my fingers
shaka braddah!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9513 posts
1725 upvotes
Toronto
Those Mechanics(if you can call them that) at CDN Tire are all rejects that can't get a job at the bigger and better known dealer/autoshops.. I'd never let them touch my car!

Sorry to hear what you had to go through.. I can't believe they even had the ballz to charge you for "fixing" the damages from their negligence.

Don't let it rest OP.