DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!
If Canadian Tire seriously thinks that by giving me a dinky gift card will get me to shut my mouth, they are wrong. I told them the SAME thing over the phone when they called. I will do my part and let the public know how dangerous their practices are, and how they are very irresponsible corporately and noone should trust them or their Auto department for servicing because clearly they have no strong ethics nor core principles to standby. I would probably do a complete audit of all their mechanics/management and reevaluate their processes completely.
- I went to Canadian Tire at Main + Danforth to get my car serviced. My waterpump was leaking coolant, and needed to be replaced.
- I got a quote of ~$600 bucks to get it replaced and also said they would do my brakes at the rear, and rotate my tires in that package.
- I picked up the car later on in the evening and noticed problems such as "waterfall/trickling noises in the engine", and "high vibrations of the car" when i was accelerating pass 70km/h.
- I went back to Canadian Tire to get it rechecked, clearly something was wrong.
- They identified that the "trickling" noise was normal, the waterpump was fine, and that there were no air pockets. As for the high vibrations, they said it must've been the rotation of the tires, so they asked me if i would like to rotate them back, I said yes.
- I picked up the car, but this time the trouble didn't happen until later on that evening. I was with a few other friends in my van, driving. My brakes felt like they were seizing up, someone on the road signalled me to pull over because my rear wheels were smoking heavily. I pulled over, and noticed the strong fire burning smell at my rear brakes, and was lucky I stopped when I did. I got a CAA truck and towed it to the Canadian tire AGAIN.
- This time I tried to talk to the srvc manager. She wasn't in. So I told the mechanic and associate in a nice manner what happened. When they looked at it, they realized the mechanic tightned the drum too much, causing the brakes to seize up at the back and generate smoke. They fixed it, and that was that. Nothing else, no apologies, no redemption, nothing. It was like it didnt' happen at all and they just scraped it off their plates.
- I drove off, and find that something ELSE happened. I heard this very sharp ticking metal noise in my engine. I told my friend who was a mechanic to check it out. My belts (accessory and timing) were all put on wrong (the belt jumped a tooth), and my pulley was all messed up and worn out.
- THIS time i spoke to the srvc manager. She kept apologizing but couldn't do anything for me but fix my car. The problem was, she made me PAY for everything (the belts, the labour, the pulley) which cost another ~$300. They said they had RECOMMENDED me this on Day 2 and showed me a sheet that I had NEVER seen before NOR has anyone mentioned it to me. They claim that they recommended this then, and would've charged me the same. The parts were approx $80, so they are charign me ADDITIONAL labour for somethign I would've told them to do in Day 2 since I DO NOT BELIEVE extra labour would've been required.
- They said they can't do anything about it, thats the price, and if I dont want it, then she's very sorry about it. And that's their way of fixing the problem.
- Of course I had to pay it. It was dangerous to even DRIVE it on the road with a broken timing belt/accesory belt/pulley. The belt looked like it was RIPPED to shreads b/c SOMEONE put it on wrong, not because it needed replacing. If it NEEDED replacing, this would've been discovered by teh mechanic and MYSELF (b/c of the noise) prior to all this. But before all this happened, NOTHING was wrong BUT the waterpump. What's funny is that the waterpump REQUIRES you to remove the belts and put them on again, coincidence? I honestly do not think so.
I spoke with corporate office, they gave me some dinky gift card. That's their solution. I told them I will not let this go as this is about principle and you are not correcting any mistakes. I have decided to really take this to the news as well (i will be sending this story to the star, the sun, metro news, as well as city tv). I hope they do cover it and investigate because I am just very upset that SOMEONE has to get into an accident or injury BEFORE someone's voice gets heard.
I'm here to prevent all of you from getting hurt, and I hope you take what I said to heart and spread the word to your friends and family. This is just utter ridiculous, and if i can save ONE person from getting hurt cuz of their irresponsible practices, then I can sleep better at night (unlike the CT auto dept.).
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know as well. I seriously can't believe I paid ~$900 bucks just to skip a day off work, spend 4 days at Canadian Tire, and endanger the lives of my friends and myself.
Thank you guys for hearing me out.