Automotive

DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28444 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 9:23 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 7:27 pm
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 5:54 pm

I think it's people that don't care about their cars that would frequent CT. Same crowd would go to jiffy lube.
Or Costco, or Midas, or Mr Lube, or Walmart or dealerships and then there are hundreds or thousands of shops that people go to every day.
That is sure a lot of people that "don't care about their cars " :)
Well yeah there's a ton of people out there that are driving an a to b appliance and couldn't care less about the quality of work done on it. I doubt you'd ever see a Sea63 or an M5 in one of those establishments.
Very feeble retort.
So, other cars on the road do not travel from a to b?
Singling out C 63 and M5 owners not going to CT hardly proves any points. I am quite sure Rolls Royce or Bentley owners don't go the either.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15905 posts
4546 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 8:34 am
nasa25 wrote:
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 7:27 pm

Or Costco, or Midas, or Mr Lube, or Walmart or dealerships and then there are hundreds or thousands of shops that people go to every day.
That is sure a lot of people that "don't care about their cars " :)
Well yeah there's a ton of people out there that are driving an a to b appliance and couldn't care less about the quality of work done on it. I doubt you'd ever see a Sea63 or an M5 in one of those establishments.
Very feeble retort.
Singling out C 63 and M5 owners not going to CT hardly proves any points. I am quite sure Rolls Royce or Bentley owners don't go the either.
Ok take the win on this one. Canadian tire is the epitome of automotive repair excellence. They're quite a significantly good shop.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.

Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory

RIP sick fadez.
Mar 15, 2010
64 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 4:16 pm
donghwi wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 1:12 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 11:56 am

As a rule, Canadian Tire is no worse than many other shops. There is a RFD anti Canadian Tire mentality and it just perpetuates with I feel "I have been ripped off" posts.
The person that resurrected this thread is a classic example. No fault of his but, they are somewhat unfamiliar with the needs of their vehicle and felt hard done by with what was being suggested by the shop. When the situation was explained, the suggestions were not so bad and no real rip off was happening. Very often when the situation is explained, the problem is not so bad. It is easy to complain and everybody does. I am sure that there are tens of thousands of very happy CT customers.
If you take your car to a shop and your "trusted" mechanic makes suggestions like that, is he trying to rip you off or is it OK? If it is OK, why with him and not CT?
Also, a CT store is a franchise operation. Most have been in business for decades, if they truly were so bad, why are they still there? When you have as many daily customers as CT does, there are bound to be some problems but, as a whole, they do as good a job as any other repair shop.
Bottom line is if you are happy with the service you get, that the vehicle is being maintained to your satisfaction and the car is safe to drive, then regardless where you take it, it is a good shop.
I'm not "unfamiliar with the needs". Actually I have copy of Honda's recommendation and following it loosely. But point is not their recommendation is valid or not. It is that all is done without my consent. Taking out personal stuff from globe box or taking out spark plug (actually it seem they never take out) without my consent is NOT normal or good thing. I need to go back and ask but it seem I paid 5.5$ for Cabin filter which I never approved or installed.
- from invoice -
Cabin filter installation - Declined
Subtotal Tax out 4.87 Tax in 5.5
(Declined: Tax out 43.39 Tax in 49.03)
-----
I think that when you take a car in for an oil change there is a "free inspection" that is done unless you specifically tell them not to. Very often it includes inspecting filters, fluids, pressures and other items on the car. (I cannot validate what CT inspection criteria is but they have been called 21 point inspection or 30 or 40 point inspections etc ). So, to inspect the filter, they have to get into the glove box. As for you saying they never took out the plug, that is an assumption and you cannot verify that.
You brought up the tax in your original complaint by saying "Free old change is not completely free. I had to pay 4.87+tax." and I responded by saying the oil change was "free"but the HST was not and has to be paid regardless.
Checking fluids level or tier pressure is one thing they can do but checking inside globe box or spark plug is another thing they should have asked.

I didn't say I paid tax. I said 4.87+tax ( = 5.5) and I didn't know what it is for until I read invoice later. I just wanted my car back so I just paid. It was exact amount for "declined" cabin filter. There was two more declined items - transmission and spark plug - but they didn't charge for it. It could be mistake. If you like to see the invoice, I guess, there may be a way to upload picture.

To access the spark plug, first step is to remove the 4 bolts securing the ignition coil cover. It has never opened so it is obvious if they opened it yesterday. Two of bolts are black coated and dusty. Two of them are not coated and covered with white stuff (Not rust but not dust). It was intact and it is impossible to open cover without making some mark on these bolts. If I open it, I think, it would be more obvious to know if ignition coils is pulled out or not.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28444 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
donghwi wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 9:27 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
donghwi wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm not "unfamiliar with the needs". Actually I have copy of Honda's recommendation and following it loosely. But point is not their recommendation is valid or not. It is that all is done without my consent. Taking out personal stuff from globe box or taking out spark plug (actually it seem they never take out) without my consent is NOT normal or good thing. I need to go back and ask but it seem I paid 5.5$ for Cabin filter which I never approved or installed.
- from invoice -
Cabin filter installation - Declined
Subtotal Tax out 4.87 Tax in 5.5
(Declined: Tax out 43.39 Tax in 49.03)
-----
I think that when you take a car in for an oil change there is a "free inspection" that is done unless you specifically tell them not to. Very often it includes inspecting filters, fluids, pressures and other items on the car. (I cannot validate what CT inspection criteria is but they have been called 21 point inspection or 30 or 40 point inspections etc ). So, to inspect the filter, they have to get into the glove box. As for you saying they never took out the plug, that is an assumption and you cannot verify that.
You brought up the tax in your original complaint by saying "Free old change is not completely free. I had to pay 4.87+tax." and I responded by saying the oil change was "free"but the HST was not and has to be paid regardless.
Checking fluids level or tier pressure is one thing they can do but checking inside globe box or spark plug is another thing they should have asked.

I didn't say I paid tax. I said 4.87+tax ( = 5.5) and I didn't know what it is for until I read invoice later. I just wanted my car back so I just paid. It was exact amount for "declined" cabin filter. There was two more declined items - transmission and spark plug - but they didn't charge for it. It could be mistake. If you like to see the invoice, I guess, there may be a way to upload picture.

To access the spark plug, first step is to remove the 4 bolts securing the ignition coil cover. It has never opened so it is obvious if they opened it yesterday. Two of bolts are black coated and dusty. Two of them are not coated and covered with white stuff (Not rust but not dust). It was intact and it is impossible to open cover without making some mark on these bolts. If I open it, I think, it would be more obvious to know if ignition coils is pulled out or not.
Dude, I was only trying to explain what you potentially could receive when you go for an oil change service. You cannot check the cabin filter without getting into the glove box. Yes, you declined the filter changed but, they already checked it for you to make the recommendation.

I quoted you from Post #144. "4. Free old change is not completely free. I had to pay 4.87+tax."

Arguing with me gets you nowhere. You don't like CT, fine, don't go any more...let it go. Don't be like RTWODTWO (post # 140) and let this fester for 27 years Disappointed But Relieved Face
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28444 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 9:02 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 8:34 am
nasa25 wrote:

Very feeble retort.
Ok take the win on this one. Canadian tire is the epitome of automotive repair excellence. They're quite a significantly good shop.
You know that is not what I am saying or what this is about.
What I am saying is that CT is not better and no worse than most shops and, complainers will be the first to post.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2827 posts
632 upvotes
markham
chekacr9 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2016 10:13 pm
Someone here is a CT share holder. The only reason CT still here is there are so many new comers to this country, these CT customers don't know where to go. I don't understand why people even shop at CT, their return policy sucks.

I took my car there for clean air test a few years ago. Then they told me I had a nail in my tire. I suspect they put a nail into my tire. Anyway I went somewhere else to have tire repaired.
you must live in a big city with a comment about immigrants. there is life outside the big city. CTC is almost in every small town in canada. Not all ctc's are like the ones in Toronto or other big cities. Many small town ones can be one of the few repair shops around. they also will employ a different standard of employee. A person that wants their job and strives to do the best they can because there isn't another garage across the street to work in if they mess up at ctc. Comparing all 5500 ctc's and coloring with the same brush is not realistic. I am not a shareholder or supporter of CTC but I am realistic and NOT an overblown paranoid RFDr (see 90% of the members here). All mechanics f**/ up..its the law of averages. some care more than others. But barring any personal insults, I don't think any are out to "get' customers for no reason.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15905 posts
4546 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
cardguy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 10:47 am
chekacr9 wrote:
Someone here is a CT share holder. The only reason CT still here is there are so many new comers to this country, these CT customers don't know where to go. I don't understand why people even shop at CT, their return policy sucks.

I took my car there for clean air test a few years ago. Then they told me I had a nail in my tire. I suspect they put a nail into my tire. Anyway I went somewhere else to have tire repaired.
you must live in a big city with a comment about immigrants. there is life outside the big city. CTC is almost in every small town in canada. Not all ctc's are like the ones in Toronto or other big cities. Many small town ones can be one of the few repair shops around. they also will employ a different standard of employee. A person that wants their job and strives to do the best they can because there isn't another garage across the street to work in if they mess up at ctc. Comparing all 5500 ctc's and coloring with the same brush is not realistic. I am not a shareholder or supporter of CTC but I am realistic and NOT an overblown paranoid RFDr (see 90% of the members here). All mechanics f**/ up..its the law of averages. some care more than others. But barring any personal insults, I don't think any are out to "get' customers for no reason.
I've actually had a few good experiences with the Paris, Ontario Canadian tire. Like you said in smaller cities there's less mechanic work available so the Canadian tires in those cities will most likely have better mechanics employed there than stores in metropolitan areas. I wouldn't let a random GTA Canadian tire employee within 500m of my car.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.

Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory

RIP sick fadez.
Mar 15, 2010
64 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 9:58 am
donghwi wrote:
Pete_Coach wrote:

Dude, I was only trying to explain what you potentially could receive when you go for an oil change service. You cannot check the cabin filter without getting into the glove box. Yes, you declined the filter changed but, they already checked it for you to make the recommendation.

I quoted you from Post #144. "4. Free old change is not completely free. I had to pay 4.87+tax."

Arguing with me gets you nowhere. You don't like CT, fine, don't go any more...let it go. Don't be like RTWODTWO (post # 140) and let this fester for 27 years Disappointed But Relieved Face
I'm not sure what you trying to say here. Are you saying, they are right to charge me for filter because "they already checked it for you to make the recommendation"?

By the way, Free old change was typo. It should be Free oil change.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28444 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
donghwi wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 5:40 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:
donghwi wrote:

I'm not sure what you trying to say here. Are you saying, they are right to charge me for filter because "they already checked it for you to make the recommendation"?

What I am trying, and have been saying is that you got the oil change free but the tax still has to be paid.
You did not get the cabin filter changed so you did not pay for it.
Unless you have some other expenses that you have not divulged, you only paid the tax for an oil change.
You got an oil change service which includes several things, the filter inspection etc and unless you told them specifically not to do those things, then they checked the cabin filter. Your big problem seems to be that someone went into your glove box. That is the access to the cabin filter. Are you upset because they found your stash of condoms?
Sorry if you don't get it. Done.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5206 posts
1024 upvotes
BC
The $4.87 (plus tax) could have been for "shop supplies" - typically that overhead recovery is 10% of the job cost, or what an oil change service would have been without a coupon.

Or maybe it was for excess oil above that allowed for in the coupon. Or a 'premium' oil filter. Hard to say from here but your receipt should make it clear.

I wouldn't get too upset about random mechanics removing and replacing stuff in your glovebox. I don't think they enjoy doing it.
Be glad that you live in a country where at least they are unlikely to pocket anything they find - get your car serviced in many European countries and things go missing unless you take them out beforehand.

Not just CT, but most chain auto service places will go checking for routine replacement of air and cabin filters. You have to be proactive to prevent that.

As you say, with most engine designs these days, removing a spark plug to see if replacement is needed just isn't on. They make a recommendation based on your odometer or maybe the accumulated dirt in the engine bay.

Auto repair places can't operate like hospitals where surgery is only performed when exhaustive tests show that it is necessary, or something is clearly in need of intervention.
CT auto service has a simple business model. They are in it to make money, and basic oil change service, with or without a coupon, is never going to be very profitable. So they look for more profitable opportunities.
It is up to the customer to be in control enough that they don't have to pay for things they don't want done at the time, but benefit from a complimentary diagnosis that they can get a 2nd. opinion on.
Mar 15, 2010
64 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 5:53 pm
donghwi wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 5:40 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:

What I am trying, and have been saying is that you got the oil change free but the tax still has to be paid.
You did not get the cabin filter changed so you did not pay for it.
Unless you have some other expenses that you have not divulged, you only paid the tax for an oil change.
You got an oil change service which includes several things, the filter inspection etc and unless you told them specifically not to do those things, then they checked the cabin filter. Your big problem seems to be that someone went into your glove box. That is the access to the cabin filter. Are you upset because they found your stash of condoms?
Sorry if you don't get it. Done.
Like I said I paid "4.87 + tax". The tax was 0.63 and that make total 5.5$.
If the 4.87 is the tax, they can't add tax on it. I need to go back and ask for sure but 4.87 and 5.5 is exactly same amount in Cabin Air Filter installation item. That's why I assume it is that one. At least it is NOT TAX.

And What I have in my globe box is not the point. Please don't insult me like this.
Mar 15, 2010
64 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 7:55 pm
The $4.87 (plus tax) could have been for "shop supplies" - typically that overhead recovery is 10% of the job cost, or what an oil change service would have been without a coupon.

Or maybe it was for excess oil above that allowed for in the coupon. Or a 'premium' oil filter. Hard to say from here but your receipt should make it clear.

I wouldn't get too upset about random mechanics removing and replacing stuff in your glovebox. I don't think they enjoy doing it.
Be glad that you live in a country where at least they are unlikely to pocket anything they find - get your car serviced in many European countries and things go missing unless you take them out beforehand.

Not just CT, but most chain auto service places will go checking for routine replacement of air and cabin filters. You have to be proactive to prevent that.

As you say, with most engine designs these days, removing a spark plug to see if replacement is needed just isn't on. They make a recommendation based on your odometer or maybe the accumulated dirt in the engine bay.

Auto repair places can't operate like hospitals where surgery is only performed when exhaustive tests show that it is necessary, or something is clearly in need of intervention.
CT auto service has a simple business model. They are in it to make money, and basic oil change service, with or without a coupon, is never going to be very profitable. So they look for more profitable opportunities.
It is up to the customer to be in control enough that they don't have to pay for things they don't want done at the time, but benefit from a complimentary diagnosis that they can get a 2nd. opinion on.
Thank you.
Apr 1, 2013
415 posts
67 upvotes
BC
cardguy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2016 10:47 am
chekacr9 wrote:

I am sure there are some good Canadian Tire stores and good CT employee out there. But there are enough bad ones out there that I want to avoid them.
Like not all mosquito carry Zika virus, but why risk to be bitten. (may be this is a bad example).
Oct 18, 2016
2 posts
[quote=eesh post_id=9772229 time=1258503863 user_id=170692]
[quote="sonyminidiscman" post_id="9769853" time="1258478473" user_id="21539"]sucks that you have to go thru that......

One time I went into CT asking for a 2 wheel alignment to correct my steering wheel angle.... the mechanic said, "without the 4 wheel alignment, it still won't fix the steering wheel angle."
[/quote]

Priceless... that just made my night :) Thank you

CT is only good for tools/parts, some detailing supplies, and cheap pop every now and then. I would never let them touch my car.
[/quote]

I don't agree with that one. If your back wheels are not correctly aligned you might need to turn you steering wheel to compensate the pulling while driving and that will give you the impression that your steering wheel is not staight.
Oct 18, 2016
2 posts
I don't agree with that one. If your back wheels are not correctly aligned you might need to turn you steering wheel a bit to compensate the pulling while driving and that will give you the impression that your steering wheel is not staight.