Automotive

DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!

Oct 22, 2016
1 posts
2 upvotes
Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire and let me tell you the horrible awful experience I had. All I went to do is an oil change on my car and since I've left leaside location my car is making very very loud sounds that it NEVER made before I went there....my breaks from making NO noise are now making so much noise that heads are turning on the street from the loudness of the noise. Tell me how this could be??? The moment I left the garage the noises all started??? They told me this is a coincidence....and that my car need breaks anyway...dont go to Canadian Tire....they will ruin your car... This is completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! We don't take our car in to get fixed can ruin them so we can come back faster. Do NOT trust Canadian Tire with your car!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18917 posts
4125 upvotes
Toronto
There are many, many threads in this forum on ct service horror stories. How come you still went ?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3623 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
X2. Why people go there to get anything repaired or tires is beyond me. I only go there for hardware and housewares.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14177 posts
2535 upvotes
Toronto
Why people go to Canadian Tire for auto service is beyond me. They have high school kids working there.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16376 posts
4993 upvotes
Ottawa
carmaster wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:06 pm
Why people go to Canadian Tire for auto service is beyond me. They have high school kids working there.
Most shops do...how else are we going train the next generation techs?
With that being said, the ratio of license techs to apprentices at CT is probably 1:5.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14177 posts
2535 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:11 pm
carmaster wrote:
With that being said, the ratio of license techs to apprentices at CT is probably 1:5.
People's cars are not a toy that these non-trained techs can play around with.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16376 posts
4993 upvotes
Ottawa
carmaster wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:16 pm
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 1:11 pm
carmaster wrote:
People's cars are not a toy that these non-trained techs can play around with.
Umm, that's how all licence techs trained when they were doing their apprenticeship.
As I posted earlier, the difference is that CT does not employ enough licensed techs to supervise and assist as required.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8086 posts
2888 upvotes
Toronto
Every hour there's a sucker for bringing their car into Canadian Tire to service.
Kellykam123 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2016 10:09 am
Yesterday I went to Canadian Tire and let me tell you the horrible awful experience I had. All I went to do is an oil change on my car and since I've left leaside location my car is making very very loud sounds that it NEVER made before I went there....my breaks from making NO noise are now making so much noise that heads are turning on the street from the loudness of the noise. Tell me how this could be??? The moment I left the garage the noises all started??? They told me this is a coincidence....and that my car need breaks anyway...dont go to Canadian Tire....they will ruin your car... This is completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! We don't take our car in to get fixed can ruin them so we can come back faster. Do NOT trust Canadian Tire with your car!!!!!!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 25, 2012
643 posts
121 upvotes
My sister once went to Canadian Tire for an oil change. After the oil change, the car would make noise at every turn. Took the car to a private garage and as soon as they lifted the car, there was a wrench stuck near the wheel. I go to private garage mechanics and see the maintenance as they lift up my car.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5206 posts
1024 upvotes
BC
I once went to a moonlighting licensed mechanic for a brake job. After the brake job, the car would make noise at every turn. Took the car back to the mechanic and as soon as he looked at the brakes, saw that he hadn't tightened the caliper bolts.

I go to whichever place I think can do a good job at a good price and is convenient to me. Mistakes happen everywhere. I even screw up sometimes.
Dec 6, 2012
159 posts
45 upvotes
Montréal, QC
CT posts are like the people that come here once in a while with a "UPS/Fedex charged me a $50 fee on a $80 product shiped from the USA!!!"

And I realized this thread started in 2009 and people already wrote "with so many horror stories with CT why people still go there?"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5356 posts
1392 upvotes
Cornwall PE
M.D. wrote:
Nov 17th, 2009 2:38 pm
I would only bring it to CT for safety inspection and emissions test. They pass your car easy because they wouldn't know what's wrong with it in the first place. :lol:
Lol, sure good luck with that, but best you take a loan out first.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Nov 26, 2016
1 posts
Took my daughters Jeep to Canadian Tire Oshawa service for diagnostic ($65) as the heat wasn't working. They told me there were issues with the Rad that needed fixed and then the heater core needed a reverse flush ($891) was the estimated cost; the Jeep is 16 years old. They guy said "usually I wouldn't recommend this for a car this old, but it's in great shape, so it's worth it". I disagreed. I took the Jeep to another shop for a 2nd opinion. There was NOTHING wrong with the Rad at all; they changed the blend door actuators, the thermostat and did a proper flush on the system...and now the heat works, for a 1/4 of the price quoted by Canadian Tire. They are scammers, do not take your car there!!