Automotive

DO NOT GO TO Canadian Tire Auto Service!! Almost got in an ACCIDENT!

Aug 25, 2006
167 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
True story, had a 1990 civic dx and took it to local canadian tire for a simple oil change before embarking on a trip from toronto to wasaga for a party weekend back in the day with friends.

Next day after oil change proceed to go up 400 north. Lotsa traffic but it was generally flowing at 100km speed limit.

Out of no where (while in the middle of no where approaching Barrie... think big empty corn field in pitch black darkeness) I start getting what I think is rain on windshield. Odd as no rain on forecast and dry all around me. Use wipers and "rain" is smudging all over windshield... well turns out it was oil. 5 seconds later engine light comes and then 5 seconds after that I hear a big pop followed by sound of marbles in a can. Managed to get from far left lane to right shoulder. Pop hood and the engine block is glowing red with a huge hole blown out of it. Look under car... no bolt in the oil drain plug!!!

Had it towed way back to toronto Canadian Tire were oil service was performed. Advised tow driver to leave it there with door unlooked and key under visor. Hitch hiked to wasaga with friends... thanks to the nice guy in the Van who picked us up and drove us all to nearest rest stop. My bro picked us up from there. Called crappy next morning and told them what happened and where to find car.

Short story, they assessed the car and deducted that their oil change monkey either didn't tighten oil drain plug to spec or did not install paper washer as required. Canadian tire agreed to foot bill for an engine replacement at an independent shop. This was like 20 years ago. Think it was like $2000 all in for tow reimbursement, engine swap, and detail job to clean all oil over spray + a $250 gift card for my troubles. I was young and stupid and took the deal no questions asked. Car was repaired great, ran like new after repairs until the day I traded it in.

Moral of story. Stay the heck away from Crappy tire service centers.
Last edited by dbracer on Dec 7th, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 2, 2017
365 posts
229 upvotes
servicing your car at Canadian Tire is like buying food from walmart. Don't be surprised if it's old and rotten
bottles on me, long as someone drink it
Oct 29, 2006
909 posts
352 upvotes
This is why a trusted, independent mechanic is worth their weight in gold. I give mine a decent bottle of wine for the holidays just because. The amount of money, time and headaches he’s saved me makes me eager to show my appreciation.
Dec 6, 2012
205 posts
65 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I went in CT once 20 years ago to buy winter tires, and.... last Monday at 8PM, I went there to repair a flat, no choice really at this hour :-/ but they repaired it fine, no leak since. For tires I guess they are ok.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9551 posts
3760 upvotes
Toronto
Potrice wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 8:02 pm
Here you go.
lol, awesome and true. Can't even ask for a relay without getting into this. rwd or 4x4...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12944 posts
1543 upvotes
Can you hear that..?

That's CT corporate getting ready for their holiday celebration!!
Sep 19, 2018
2 posts
Im disgusted by Canadian Tire...Picketing

I went to buy 4x tires for my car. They damaged all 4 rims. They agreed to replace them or upto same value. Little did i know the stsndard rims were 400 each. So i decided to look at the rims sold by Canadian Tire. I found a set 1inch bigger with the same tires for around 4-500 less than just my orginal rims.

This is where it went wrong. They decided that my damaged rims were theres to keep and the tires I paid for on the orginal rims were theirs too.

Mike the GM admited he wanted to sell them to recoup the money lost by replacing my rims.

I pushed back on this 5x. He made my wife cry and was nothing less than rude. As i was going away in a few days on a 6k trip i felt forced to oblige and agree to him.

After fitting there was shuddering anything over 90km per hour. I took it to a differnt Canadian Tire as I was in Hamilton. They noted two things but fixed only one. The wheel balence was totally out. Also that it was missing Hub Centric Rims. They said its ok though. They also said the orginal rims are mine.

I still had vibration and took to another Canadian Tire who couldnt belive they did that as the rings cost 4.99 for 4. They had none in stock but showed me Pickering did.

I had to pay 135 the next day for another company to fit the rims with hub centric rings. Its been over a month since Canadian Tire got that invoice. Still no money.

I spoke to Active Green and Ross other Canadian Tires a couple of other independents who said rims/tires or one or other are mine and couldnt belive they were going to sell them. One garage went as far to say its actualy dangerous as the wheel would cut through the nuts over time.

I have voice recordings of the differnt places inc police saying what they thought. Video evidence of the need for hub centric rings. I recorded Mike saying fine take us to court ket the judge decide but yeah you will most likely get your wheels and rims back...Despite this making the peice of paper i felt forced to sign saying i wont take legal action. HQ refuse to take it further. I signed it but my wife who also owns the car didnt sign it.

I raised this complaint as high as i can. Result is Canadian Tire HQ wont touch it if GM and owner of that site say they wont budge.

So im out of pocket and left disgusted by the treatment and end result.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1194 posts
765 upvotes
Kitto1984 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 12:34 am

I went to buy 4x tires for my car. They damaged all 4 rims. They agreed to replace them or upto same value. Little did i know the stsndard rims were 400 each. So i decided to look at the rims sold by Canadian Tire. I
Its pretty hard to damage 4 rims.
In what way were all 4 rims damaged?
Jan 17, 2009
239 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It shocks me that people go to Canadian Tire are surprised that they get incompetent techs and poor service.

If you are clueless about cars just go to the dealership, they may up-sell you and they are more expensive, but usually they/corporate stand by their work and give you a loaner.
Sep 19, 2018
2 posts
The machine had parts that needed replacing...It ruined two tires too...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1384 posts
210 upvotes
Kitto1984 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 12:34 am

I went to buy 4x tires for my car. They damaged all 4 rims. They agreed to replace them or upto same value. Little did i know the stsndard rims were 400 each. So i decided to look at the rims sold by Canadian Tire. I found a set 1inch bigger with the same tires for around 4-500 less than just my orginal rims.

This is where it went wrong. They decided that my damaged rims were theres to keep and the tires I paid for on the orginal rims were theirs too.

Mike the GM admited he wanted to sell them to recoup the money lost by replacing my rims.

I pushed back on this 5x. He made my wife cry and was nothing less than rude. As i was going away in a few days on a 6k trip i felt forced to oblige and agree to him.

After fitting there was shuddering anything over 90km per hour. I took it to a differnt Canadian Tire as I was in Hamilton. They noted two things but fixed only one. The wheel balence was totally out. Also that it was missing Hub Centric Rims. They said its ok though. They also said the orginal rims are mine.

I still had vibration and took to another Canadian Tire who couldnt belive they did that as the rings cost 4.99 for 4. They had none in stock but showed me Pickering did.

I had to pay 135 the next day for another company to fit the rims with hub centric rings. Its been over a month since Canadian Tire got that invoice. Still no money.

I spoke to Active Green and Ross other Canadian Tires a couple of other independents who said rims/tires or one or other are mine and couldnt belive they were going to sell them. One garage went as far to say its actualy dangerous as the wheel would cut through the nuts over time.

I have voice recordings of the differnt places inc police saying what they thought. Video evidence of the need for hub centric rings. I recorded Mike saying fine take us to court ket the judge decide but yeah you will most likely get your wheels and rims back...Despite this making the peice of paper i felt forced to sign saying i wont take legal action. HQ refuse to take it further. I signed it but my wife who also owns the car didnt sign it.

I raised this complaint as high as i can. Result is Canadian Tire HQ wont touch it if GM and owner of that site say they wont budge.

So im out of pocket and left disgusted by the treatment and end result.
Who in the world puts non HUbcentric rims now a days..
I am sorry you had vibrations but perhaps you should know that you needed to ask this upfront if they are giving you hubcentric rims or not..
Sep 8, 2017
866 posts
667 upvotes
GTA
Not sure why you would accept inferior aftermarket wheels as a replacement for you damaged originals.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9137 posts
1728 upvotes
Markham
derass wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 5:50 pm
Not sure why you would accept inferior aftermarket wheels as a replacement for you damaged originals.
Right, I hope you are not leasing neither, you need to return the car with the original equipment.

You should demand to buy 4 OEM wheels at dealer and they pay the bill, they have garage insurance to cover stuff like that. They just don't want to touch their insurance.

Also you can buy the tires there, but not necessary install it there. I bought 4 Xi3 there before, I carry them home and bring to another garage to mount them on. HAHA
That's how I avoid to bring my car in to CT.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)