• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2018 8:30 am
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham

Do NOT subscribe to Freedom Mobile - failed, unwillingly to UNLOCK phone

Freedom Mobile failed to unlock the ZTE freedom phone under Canadian law Wireless Code CRTC Government of Canada, as follows 1. Unlocking Any device provided by a service provider to the customer for the purpose of providing wireless services must be provided unlocked. If a device is, or becomes, locked to a service provider?s network, that service provider must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge. This complaint is filed with CRTC on July 12, 2018 . Request was made for six times to Freedom Mobile and they failed to provide proper code.
39 replies
Aug 20, 2014
48 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey, BC
When you asked them to unlock the device what did they say?
Koodo: 8GB, unlt'd Canada-wide for $40.
Fido: 3GB LTE data for $15, minus 100% discount for 12 months.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
Called six times. Five times asked for the IMEI phone identification number and provide same UNLOCK that did NOT work.
Everytime they claimed they had to escalate to back office for contact the phone company and would get back to me.
within a day or two or maximum 10 working days. Never heard from anyone from Freedom Mobile.

I filed complaint with CRTC on July 12, 2018.
They wrote to me saying contact technical support customer service which was what i did six times. Everyone passes the same tactic. They would get back within 10 days. Never heard from anyone.

Filed CRTC complaint. Filed Province of Ontario complaint. Filed Red Flag deal forum complaint. Also wrote to CBC customers complaint. and others.

I have since left Freedom for good and now with FIDO.
Jan 13, 2014
894 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Well, at least now all phones are sold unlocked so there's no code to deal with.
Jul 11, 2018
1 posts
I had long ago an anccount in Wind, now I am with Bell and Telus.
I got device from Wind(now Freedom) and asking by IMEI provided to get unlock networking code.
They do , free of charge, just for currently registered owners. It can be done from online in the account .
I did such for my Telus SIM when got device from Bell , used phone locked to Bell, I can use it with my Bell SIM card but Telus. So called, they just ask to number of current account and IMEI and got unlock code in 30 seconds.
SO who has WInd/Freedom account can you please get unlock code by IMEI I sent you?

This is a linkto getautomaticalli:
https://www.freedommobile.ca/my-account ... k-my-phone
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2394 posts
875 upvotes
Everywhere
88886303 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:34 pm
Called six times. Five times asked for the IMEI phone identification number and provide same UNLOCK that did NOT work.
Everytime they claimed they had to escalate to back office for contact the phone company and would get back to me.
within a day or two or maximum 10 working days. Never heard from anyone from Freedom Mobile.

I filed complaint with CRTC on July 12, 2018.
They wrote to me saying contact technical support customer service which was what i did six times. Everyone passes the same tactic. They would get back within 10 days. Never heard from anyone.

Filed CRTC complaint. Filed Province of Ontario complaint. Filed Red Flag deal forum complaint. Also wrote to CBC customers complaint. and others.

I have since left Freedom for good and now with FIDO.
This seems like an exceptional situation. Unfortunately, you have to keep pushing them. At some point it should be escalated to the highest office until they will give you a new unlocked phone if they cannot unlock this one. If they sold it, they should be able to unlock it or provide you with a suitable solution.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13743 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
Which model was it?

How long have you had the phone?

Have you run out of unlock attempts on the phone? Some phones will hard locked after a certain number of failed attempts.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
Written complaint was filed with Ccts today July 12, 2018.
Phone model is ZTE Grand X4 .
Phone was never unlocked before. It shows 0 attempt left now.
Purchased brand new from Freedom three years old brand new from their store.

Do Not subscribe to Freedom they do not stand behind their goods and services

I received 10 emails from freedom customers service all generic written with no solution provided.

Prices of competition providers have dropped drastically, so stay away from Freedom. Believe me.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
Agreed. It should be escalated to the highest office until they will give you a new unlocked phone if they cannot unlock this one. If they sold it, they should be able to unlock it or provide you with a suitable solution.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
I just follow their steps to unlock see error message from their site.

They sell they give you a locked Freedom phone that can not be unlocked.

What a Freedom or Shaw joke!

Do not subscribe !
Images
  • IMG_20180712_230729.jpg
May 8, 2009
6737 posts
2929 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
88886303 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:55 pm
Written complaint was filed with Ccts today July 12, 2018.
Phone model is ZTE Grand X4 .
Phone was never unlocked before. It shows 0 attempt left now.
Purchased brand new from Freedom three years old brand new from their store.

Do Not subscribe to Freedom they do not stand behind their goods and services

I received 10 emails from freedom customers service all generic written with no solution provided.

Prices of competition providers have dropped drastically, so stay away from Freedom. Believe me.
eBay item # 173165707024

The code is $3. You could have purchased the code, and have Freedom Mobile issue you a $3 credit to your account. That would have been much easier. The phone has street value of max $150, there are more awesome phones available for cheaper on a churn.

Glad to see you filed a complaint via CCTS.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
This is generic useless reply from Freedom.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We appreciate you letting us know about this post. We apologize for the frustrating experience you had attempting to get your unlock code for your device.

We will look into this matter and hopefully come up with a solution that can prevent this type of situation from reoccurring.

If you need further assistance, you can always reach out to us through Facebook or Twitter, or over the phone through Customer Care by dialing 1-877-946-3184 through any other phone line.

Thank you for choosing Freedom Mobile.

Jxxx

Freedom Mobile Digital Support
[OP]
Sep 20, 2008
22 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
Pacific mall charge $35 not $3.

Freedom would not spend $3 to settle this complaint.

So let Torontoians decided where to subscribe, it is your money, your time and frustration.

I was a loyal fully paid customer for seven years since 2012.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5255 posts
1884 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
88886303 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:22 pm
This is generic useless reply from Freedom.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We appreciate you letting us know about this post. We apologize for the frustrating experience you had attempting to get your unlock code for your device.

We will look into this matter and hopefully come up with a solution that can prevent this type of situation from reoccurring.

If you need further assistance, you can always reach out to us through Facebook or Twitter, or over the phone through Customer Care by dialing 1-877-946-3184 through any other phone line.

Thank you for choosing Freedom Mobile.

Jxxx

Freedom Mobile Digital Support
That is because Freedom and Shaw fired/bought-out/laid-off most of their customer service personnel in order to cut costs.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)