Shopping Discussion

Do online stores have to honour pricing mistakes?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2008 11:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 13, 2007
329 posts
1 upvote

Do online stores have to honour pricing mistakes?

Hi,

I just ordered a pair of shoes from a legitimate website. The total came to 0.00$. I proceeded to checkout, and it charged me $10 shipping. So now I have a email reciept with this transaction, both from the online store and from paypal.

Does the online store have to honour this obvious mistake? I believe if a similar price error happens in store you are supposed to recieve the product for that price, no?
7 replies
[OP]
Oct 13, 2007
329 posts
1 upvote
gilboman wrote:
Apr 29th, 2008 11:52 pm
no
Ah........... ;)

Well hopefully they will refund my shipping then. If not, I suppose I will pay for my ignorance.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
gilboman wrote:
Apr 29th, 2008 11:52 pm
no
+1

Stores do not have to honour a price if it comes up cheaper in their checkout system than advertised especially when it comes up at a price like $0 which is obviously an error. Although if their shipping system is automated you might end up getting it delivered without someone knowing about it.

I am sure that if you post which site it was they will have their busiest day ever when everyone on RFD tries to get the same deal. :rolleyes:
[OP]
Oct 13, 2007
329 posts
1 upvote
Just a question then: Am I right that physical stores have to honour pricing errors, or is that not true?

Hunter316 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 2:07 am
+1

Stores do not have to honour a price if it comes up cheaper in their checkout system than advertised especially when it comes up at a price like $0 which is obviously an error. Although if their shipping system is automated you might end up getting it delivered without someone knowing about it.

I am sure that if you post which site it was they will have their busiest day ever when everyone on RFD tries to get the same deal. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
*trish* wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 9:35 am
Just a question then: Am I right that physical stores have to honour pricing errors, or is that not true?
As far as I am aware a store would have to honor a pricing error if that error is on a price tag for the product that has been put up on the shelf where a customer can see it or if it is in an ad for which a retraction has not been printed. In the case of a price coming up wrong in the system when a customer is at the till ready to buy the item then no, a store would not have to honour that price since it is not actually an advertised price and the customer did not have a resonable expectation to be able to purchase the item at that price.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14220 posts
1069 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 10:49 am
As far as I am aware a store would have to honor a pricing error if that error is on a price tag for the product that has been put up on the shelf where a customer can see it or if it is in an ad for which a retraction has not been printed.
You would wrong. Stores do not have to honor pricing errors from a price tag. Price tags are an invitation to do business, not an offer.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7318 posts
804 upvotes
GTA
*trish* wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 9:35 am
No, it's not true. Some stores voluntary go by the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code. You can see a list of some stores that go by it here:
http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocacy/c ... 02_eng.asp

If you're at one of those stores, and the price scans wrong, you get the item free if it is under $10. If it is over $10, you get $10 off.