Automotive

Do people still upgrade their sounds [Post Pics]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 1:06 pm
Tags:

Poll: Did you upgrade your sound system?

• Total votes: 116. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

21%
Stock

41%
Used to back in the day

31%
Will upgrade

7%

Poll ended at Sep 6th, 2018 10:34 am

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
huh equalizers are usually in found in the settings for most stock radio
Super_Chicken wrote: What deck do you have? Was it reasonably priced?
nex-4100 from pioneer is the most common one
and no it's not cheap...the cost of keeping your vehicle up-to-date with the current decade I suppose
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I will be upgrading my sound system for the sole fact that Honda cannot, and I repeat, cannot make a decent sound system in their $40k cars. Their "premium" 360W sound system in the Accord Touring is an absolute joke. Did a lot of research and really comes down to crappy speakers, and an amp that makes the signal flat as hell. Head unit produces a good clear signal so thankfully I won't need to upgrade that but those speakers and probably the sub are going to be replaced along with a new amp.

Never buy Honda for sound. Worse part is I'm told their Acura sound is actually pretty decent...just god Honda what's wrong with you...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes

Ver. 2 of custom jack enclosure
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Upgraded my car system slightly.

Kept OEM Screen as its great & comes with apple car play
Kept the door speakers as they are also really good.

I but Dynamat extreme in the full trunk
600 Watt RMS JL Audio Amp
12" JL Audio Low profile sub
Custom fiberglass setup as there was not available yet or the new car.

Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
Stock Ford premium sound system (which is shockingly better than some of my friends cars where they've upgraded their system)

I want to get a head unit with CarPlay though, this has been on my list for over a year. Just never have the time. Currently use a Bluetooth FM transmitter.

It'll suck losing my 6 disc CD changer in the trunk though!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
I've upgrade a few of my cars/trucks. All my new rides are stock. It's good enough. I still have a HU, 2x12" subs and a 1800w amp in my reg cab, and it pounds your kidneys. No stones, lol.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
sickcars wrote: Upgraded my car system slightly.

Kept OEM Screen as its great & comes with apple car play
Kept the door speakers as they are also really good.

I but Dynamat extreme in the full trunk
600 Watt RMS JL Audio Amp
12" JL Audio Low profile sub
Custom fiberglass setup as there was not available yet or the new car.

Had me up until the light strip.
Jan 12, 2008
477 posts
283 upvotes
A lot of ppl keep it stock theses days is because the steering wheel controls don't work after installing a new head unit
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Disciplinz wrote: A lot of ppl keep it stock theses days is because the steering wheel controls don't work after installing a new head unit
Majority of steering wheel controls can be retrofitted with an adapter that keeps this functionality.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
lol why not? I actually installed it because the OEM light is on the Dim side. The LED strip allows me to change the colour so usually I have it set on white.
tebore wrote: Had me up until the light strip.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
sickcars wrote: lol why not? I actually installed it because the OEM light is on the Dim side. The LED strip allows me to change the colour so usually I have it set on white.
At first I was like "Yep doing it right, clean install solid clean work. Ah Ah damn dat discotheque LED bar bro es best bro" I hear you on the DIM cargo lights tho. That's usually first on my list of Interior LED swaps to go from a single 194 or 30mm Festoon to a huge panel or LED bar but usually in the 4000K range.

These days my only "Sound Upgrade" is more sound deadening. Even that's enough to help the stock units out, and sound isolation has so many upsides.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
tebore wrote: Had me up until the light strip.
this good enough?

Havent had a chance to clean the wiring yet.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
6mthatch wrote: this good enough?

Havent had a chance to clean the wiring yet.
Your second subbox is masterful
Very clean install. Looks like it should have come that way.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
Cant really tell but its actually molded to the contours of the rear hatch and the back of the seat. It takes out the factory jack as its about the size of a basketball for airspace. Minimum of 6 layers (1/4" thick) fiberglass resin. All seams have been filled with fiberglass putty.

Learned alot from the first box. Didnt leave enough clearance around the subwoofer surround. Other mistake was mdf really only likes to be installed once. This time around, the sub is secured via bolts and threadserts.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2130 upvotes
CanadaMaple wrote: Stock Ford premium sound system (which is shockingly better than some of my friends cars where they've upgraded their system)

I want to get a head unit with CarPlay though, this has been on my list for over a year. Just never have the time. Currently use a Bluetooth FM transmitter.

It'll suck losing my 6 disc CD changer in the trunk though!
Why would it suck? Most have a USB port or cable. Hook up a 128 gig drive and you'll have a ton more then a 6 disc.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
6mthatch wrote: Why would it suck? Most have a USB port or cable. Hook up a 128 gig drive and you'll have a ton more then a 6 disc.
It was more a joke than anything Lol, I've never used it. But it is nice to know it works.
As it is I stream everything via Bluetooth. I'm excited to change my stereo eventually, I just need to get around to it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
6mthatch wrote: Cant really tell but its actually molded to the contours of the rear hatch and the back of the seat. It takes out the factory jack as its about the size of a basketball for airspace. Minimum of 6 layers (1/4" thick) fiberglass resin. All seams have been filled with fiberglass putty.

Learned alot from the first box. Didnt leave enough clearance around the subwoofer surround. Other mistake was mdf really only likes to be installed once. This time around, the sub is secured via bolts and threadserts.
That's a labour of love that is.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Your second subbox is masterful
Very clean install. Looks like it should have come that way.
I don't see no second subbox. I see the sub on the left side and a spare tire.
Dec 14, 2006
217 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
amkorp wrote: 2015 Genesis Sedan (G80)
I got the same system (Glad to encounter someone with a same car on RFD) , sounds a bit mushy but alright for what it is.
Life is Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
gh05t wrote: I don't see no second subbox. I see the sub on the left side and a spare tire.
No no his second iteration is what i meant he had a picture of a "first attempt" then his final version.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)