• Jan 18th, 2009 9:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Loblaws/Real Canadian Superstore are now charging 5 cents per bag in Toronto (416 area code) and will be expanding the policy across the company by the end of the year.
Dec 31, 1969
Spongeg wrote: they charge 4 cent per bag - might be 5 cents per bag now

Victoria has banned plastic bags and shoppers must bring their own bags when grocery shopping at any store

there is talk that Vancouver area might do the same
I am hoping that they introduce that over here. I was in Vic for the holidays and was happy to see that... Makes me miss Victoria even more... :lol:
Spongeg wrote: its a carry over from the good ole days - when i was a kid all stores had baggers

out here in BC Extra Foods (owned by westfair) save-on-foods and safeway always bag your groceries for you well safeway does 100% of the time - extra foods does it depending on staff
My first "real" job when I was 14 was a grocery bagger at Thrifty Foods in Mill Bay. They still have baggers in Thrifty's on on the busy days...
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> Victoria has banned plastic bags and shoppers must bring their own bags when grocery shopping at any store

That is @#$@*. Or do you mean that they only do that at grocery stores?

I used to work in a clothing store in Victoria, and some chick was asking for a paper bag (which we didn't have). Yeah, sure, paper bags are more enviromentally friendly, but when it starts to rain, and your paper bag falls apart and your clothes fall into the mud, you're going to wish that you had a plastic bag.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rabbit wrote: > Victoria has banned plastic bags and shoppers must bring their own bags when grocery shopping at any store

That is @#$@*. Or do you mean that they only do that at grocery stores?

I used to work in a clothing store in Victoria, and some chick was asking for a paper bag (which we didn't have). Yeah, sure, paper bags are more enviromentally friendly, but when it starts to rain, and your paper bag falls apart and your clothes fall into the mud, you're going to wish that you had a plastic bag.
It doesn't often in Toronto - I know that's different in Vancouver, but that shouldn't have anything to do with why Toronto can't use paper bags.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
My experience is in the west. The RCSS's on vancouver island never bagged groceries. The ones here in Edmonton don't either.

I always figured it was part of their low cost practice. IE since they tend to have low grocery prices, part of that comes from not paying anyone to bag your groceries.

Safeway, Save-On, Overwaitea, Thrifty's, Sobeys, IGA, etc.. all bag groceries, but they're all more expensive, so I always thought cheaper groceries was a fair enough trade off for packing my own groceries.

They've always charges fees for plastic bags here as well. Last time I bothered to check it was 4 cents a bag, but they could of changed it, I stopped looking. Sounds like the easteners got used to a better level of service than us westerners?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1468 posts
990 upvotes
Hangar18 wrote: We shop at the Oshawa RCSS and the cashiers have told us its a union thing. Something to do with straining their backs from repeated body turning/shifting...

Are cashiers unionized?
All employees except managers are unionized.

Edmonton RCSS has always had the customer bag their own items, I think it's faster overall.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2837 posts
1912 upvotes
YVR
Been to multiple RCSS's in the GVR region, not one has ever bagged groceries. It was never a problem. As a kid, I used to love shopping at RCSS because we got to play with the conveyer belts and do the "grocery bagging". Eventually they took out the buttons on the conveyer belts though (probably because someone got hurt on them).
Oct 10, 2006
851 posts
57 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: You go to self-checkout because it's supposed to be faster.

If you expect the cashier to bag your groceries, you better tip them. Their job is to scan your stuff, not bag them too.
When I was a cashier at sobeys, we were expected to bag groceries. Most of the grocery stores in ontario that I've been to always bagged groceries, until they charged for bags, then you bagged them yourself.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
1205 posts
2 upvotes
G.T.A
Jon Lai wrote: They ring - you have nothing to do, you bag.
You rustle your change and pay, they have nothing to do, they bag.

Actually, when I am shopping, I like to watch the register for the prices of the items being rung in. So technically, I am doing something - making sure I am not being over charged.
If I am bagging my own things then I won't notice being over charged for an item(s).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
LordofthePing wrote: The two near me have their cashiers push all the groceries to the end of the counter with the expectation that the customer will do their own bagging. They'll assist the customer after everything has been rung through, but not before. Before, the cashier would scan and bag groceries and then push them to the end of the counter. It seems like a new policy, at least at the recently renovated Loblaws in South London. They've shortened the checkout counters too, maybe that has something to do with it.
That location is now a "No Frills".. and they have never bagged anything.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)