Food & Drink

Do Refrigerated Jello Pudding Cups Need to be Refrigerated?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2008 8:49 pm
Tags:
None
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes

Do Refrigerated Jello Pudding Cups Need to be Refrigerated?

Okay, don't call me a moron just yet.

Picked up some refrigerated jello pudding cups at the market yesterday. Treating them like regular pudding cups when we got home, we only stuck a couple in the fridge and stowed the rest in the pantry. Then it occurred to me, this morning: wait--did those things need to be kept in the fridge?

My question is, are these things supposed to be refrigerated because they'll otherwise spoil? (A quick glance at the ingredients and nothing jumps out at me as perishable. "Modified milk ingredients" is listed, but the cups are sealed.) Or, are they supposed to be kept cold because they'll separate at room temperature, or something? Supporting this guess is the fact that Kraft's site lists the non-refrigerated variety as "shelf stable".

So, what do you think? Throw out the ones we stashed in the pantry? Eat at your own risk? Everything's cool?

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
They need to be refrigerated, they have a shorter shelf life than the puddings you buy in the Grocery aisle. I'm not exactly sure why but probably because they have fewer preservatives in them. You can buy milk in tetra packs in the Grocery aisle that keeps longer simply because of the way they were packaged and treated that don't require refrigeration. But you wouldn't put milk from the Dairy Dept. in the pantry in other words.
Moron.

just kidding :)
[OP]
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for your reply.

But, how much of a shorter shelf life, do you know? Do I need to toss them because they've been out of the fridge for 24 hours?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2005
2058 posts
68 upvotes
Personally, I would throw them out. Only a few bucks & I'm picky about that stuff.
But on that note, I'd say there is a good chance they are okay.....maybe put it in the fridge and then open it and smell it before you eat.

Good rule of thumb, if you buy it in the refrigerated section at the store, it's likely thats how they will need to be stored at home (if not consumed immediately).
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12174 posts
278 upvotes
anywhere on the packaging say keep refrigerated?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
[OP]
May 10, 2006
433 posts
3 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2008 4:18 pm
anywhere on the packaging say keep refrigerated?
Yes, it does.

But was hoping it was just for quality purposes.
Oct 28, 2005
259 posts
Kelowna, BC
Yeah they sell two different types of those Jello puddings. The ones in the grocery aisle are cheaper than the ones in the dairy case.

Just eat them on a day that you know you will be close to a toilet all day. :razz:
× < >