Page 1 of 2

Do Remote Starters Harm Your Car In Any Way?

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:08 pm
by PocketRockets
I've heard from a few people that remote starters can harm your ignition or starter, I want to get one, since I'm tired of waiting for my car to warm up every morning. Has anyone heard anything of this nature before?

Re: Do Remote Starters Harm Your Car In Any Way?

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:24 pm
by Narci
PocketRockets wrote:I've heard from a few people that remote starters can harm your ignition or starter, I want to get one, since I'm tired of waiting for my car to warm up every morning. Has anyone heard anything of this nature before?
What exactly did you hear? Just stating that the starter/ignition was harmed doesn't really explain anything.

I have a starter and it works fine no problems. Installation is key when it comes to starters/alarms. You pay for what you get. For a good starter with 2 modules, look to spend around $400-$500 at least.

If you plan to get one, please...please stay away from the canadian tire/best buy/futureshop route.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:25 pm
by Rehan
Idling is bad for your car's engine and for the environment. Just bundle up, hop in your car, and take it easy with the car until the engine has warmed up.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/i ... cfm?attr=8

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:28 pm
by PocketRockets
Rehan wrote:Idling is bad for your car's engine and for the environment. Just bundle up, hop in your car, and take it easy with the car until the engine has warmed up.

My car has a turbo, so I really don't like to drive it until the oil has warmed up, thus I sit in it for a while as it idles either way.

I have just heard that over time, the remote starter may cause problems with the ignition and the starter, I don't really know any specifics.

I would be getting it installed at a professional shop that does all my stereo work.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:29 pm
by Narci
Rehan wrote:Idling is bad for your car's engine and for the environment. Just bundle up, hop in your car, and take it easy with the car until the engine has warmed up.

Yup it is. That's why there's timers on the starter you can set to autoshut off if it idles too long.

I also have a cold weather mode that starts the car every 2 hours for 2 minutes for 24 hours.

Also have the option to start the car at any interval, daily or weekly incase i go on vacation.

Also has a built in turbo timer.

This is the model I use:

Autostart (Made in Canada) http://www.autostart.ca

AS-2300 TW
PREMIUM CONVENIENCE SERIES
2-way automatic transmission remote starter.
FM system.
HDX technology.
Up to 2500 feet of range.
5 button 2-way transmitter.
Easy to use shift key operation.
Visual command confirmation via buttons illumination.
[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=194]Audible[/rfdlink] confirmation via Piezo speaker.
System status request mode with engine runtime.
Keyless entry, engine disable, trunk release, horn panic.
Antenna with embedded ultra bright Blue LED.
Two configurable auxilary outputs.
Turbo timer mode.
Communication port for optional 5 channel and dome light supervision expansion module.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:33 pm
by PocketRockets
I don't think I can use this particular model, since it says "automatic transmission starter", and mine is a manual

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:35 pm
by Narci
PocketRockets wrote:I don't think I can use this particular model, since it says "automatic transmission starter", and mine is a manual
No worries, same starter but for manual:

AS-2360 TW
PREMIUM CONVENIENCE SERIES
2-way manual transmission remote starter.
FM system.
HDX technology.
Up to 2 500 feet of range.
5 button 2-way transmitter.
Easy to use shift key operation.
Visual command confirmation via buttons illumination.
[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=194]Audible[/rfdlink] confirmation via Piezo speaker.
System status request mode with engine runtime.
Keyless entry, engine disable, trunk release, horn panic.
Antenna with embedded ultra bright Blue LED.
Two configurable auxilary outputs.
Turbo timer mode.
Communication port for optional 5 channel and dome light supervision expansion module.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:36 pm
by Narci
Check the website, you might want to move up to a LCD display since you have a turbo.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:49 pm
by jed
The bad part about a starter is if the guy installing it doesn't put the pickup wire on the right spot, or doesn't adjust it correctly, the starter will continue to crank while the engine is running. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:50 pm
by Narci
jed wrote:The bad part about a starter is if the guy installing it doesn't put the pickup wire on the right spot, or doesn't adjust it correctly, the starter will continue to crank while the engine is running. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Witht his starter, you can set the RPM limit i believe and how long to crank the car.

My installer is good, tapes everything up and puts diodes in the right places to stop power feeback throught he wires.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 8:58 pm
by jed
Right, and again, depending on the installer, how long the starter cranks can adversely affect the starter.

Its good to find someone who knows what they're doing. Not always the case these days.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 9:04 pm
by Narci
jed wrote:Right, and again, depending on the installer, how long the starter cranks can adversely affect the starter.

Its good to find someone who knows what they're doing. Not always the case these days.
Yeah I know...people don't want to pay for quality anymore...when it comes to starter/alarm, the last thing you should skimp out on is installation.

You always hear this alarm is bad, this starter is bad. It's only bad because the installer did a bad job.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 9:17 pm
by JuNGleR72
go to www.audio-heaven.com

they have specials now on Compustar.

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 9:20 pm
by FastFokker

"Contrary to popular belief, idling is not an effective way to warm up a vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. Today's electronically controlled engines allow you to drive away after only 30 seconds of idling, even on the coldest winter days."

Now that's funny.. they say idling is bad, yet they say you can drive your car away as soon as 30seconds after letting it idle. :lol:

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2005 9:33 pm
by royal
I got a starter in my civic from Futureshop $149.99 inculding install not bad, no problme so far.