Art and Photography

Do u guys ever feel like u arent enjoying life’s moments because you’re too busy looking through the viewfinder?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2017 11:34 am
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
236 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Do u guys ever feel like u arent enjoying life’s moments because you’re too busy looking through the viewfinder?

Ive been a photog for years. Love it to death, ever since my rebel xt. But lately ive been dialing it back because i feel like i should be living in the moment rather than trying to capture it.

So here i am, with a family hawaiian vacation on the horizon and im 60% sure im gonna leave the tank at home and rock the iphone this trip. I just love the idea of putting the phone in my shorts and playing tag with my kids on the beach. On the other hand, there’s that perfect waterfall family portrait where you would kill for your L and manual mode.

What do you guys/gals think? Is this something you feel/have felt?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3317 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Not for me. I don't take alot of shots with my camera (but I carry it with me at all times). I can see that with people taking 20 shots of the same scene (and chimping). Going to film, I take even less shots these days.

Seriously, I don't think taking a few min out of your vacation time is living thru the lens unless you're one of those guys shooting with 2-3 cameras at a time.

I think with photography have made me see more because it pushes me to go to places and see each place differently
Aug 1, 2010
728 posts
293 upvotes
Montreal
I leave my camera at home for social events and most of my trips.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
236 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aerok wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 10:25 am
I leave my camera at home for social events and most of my trips.
What do you use when travelling, if anything?
Aug 1, 2010
728 posts
293 upvotes
Montreal
hartzfizzo wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 10:32 am
What do you use when travelling, if anything?
Just my phone, I usually find it's enough for most of my needs. Mostly to travel as light as possible and avoid wasting time setting up a camera.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10487 posts
1611 upvotes
Ottawa
snapshots and short video clips are great for remembering moments of a vacation. For my last two vacations I had an action cam and point and shoot and I found it to be a good balance of having some nice footage/stills as keepsakes.

It's a bit different when you are kidless and have time to find some neat shots or experiment a bit, but when travelling with family, the camera is mainly to document things. A phone would actually be enough 90% of the time.

I do find that I tend to gravitate toward watching videos of vacation footage way more than I go revisit still photos. A lot of my video footage comes from the action cam where I just have it in my pocket, pull it out, press two buttons, palm it and keep it pointed in the general direction. It's not a big distraction because I'm not even looking at a screen, the wide angle lens will capture everything and be in focus, so I'm not losing perspective on what's happening around me through a viewfinder. Being rugged, I don't have to worry about babying it either, especially if the phone is a $1500 phone like an iPhone where I might actually be a bit more careful
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3047 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, there have been times. I attend a lot of airshows and for the last couple of years I've made it a point to simply stand with camera down to watch the high speed flybys, listen to the engine and air whistling through the intakes, and smell the avgas and kerosene. I try to keep the camera out of play for half the time. I never pull the big camera out for family events except for the annual Xmas portraits.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6624 posts
921 upvotes
As a photog, you pretty much have to pick your vacation, I find. There isn't a lot of half way; you either be on a photographer mode for the whole time or just take it easy and enjoy, take a few snap shots like typical vacationer.

For me, I have travelled enough to know you can't do both and keep the family happy, you just can't.

So, I used to pick the day and time to bring the camera out or just take a phone. The camera travels with me of course but I don't take it with me not every minute and everyday. However, I have done it enough now to know, Murphy Law is true that, "The day you only got the phone out, is usually the day you miss your best shots." ie. One time I only had the phone out for what I believed was a causal walk to dinner that day and I ran into a beautiful sunset near the beach that my phone just couldn't capture as well and I hated mysel for it.

So, for just in case now, I bring a mirrorless with me instead of just the phone.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10487 posts
1611 upvotes
Ottawa
On vacation, I like to have a very small messenger bag to keep my stuff. If it doesn't fit in there, it's not coming with me. I keep a packable shell, water, wipes and other small sundries for the kid.

I use a Timbuk2 extra-small (XS) Classic Messenger bag. It straddles the size between a murse and a messenger bag. Usually the only thing that goes into the bag is my RX100, although a mirrorless can fit but it starts to get heavy and the bag gets thick. So I always have a camera with me that can do some low light *in case* and so I have no regrets about missing an interesting moment. The other thing I've stopped doing is carrying lenses around. I'm never going to change lenses while on vacation....so either it's one prime on a mirrorless or RX100 that has 3X zoom.

As a photographer I don't want to miss any moments but the gear becomes auxiliary to the other stuff I'm bringing so it never becomes the focus of what we're enjoying on the vacation
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3094 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
Just came back from a week vacation and didn't pack my gear with me this time; just used my smart phone. After going to the pro level and shooting about 6 times a month on average, I needed a vacation from my camera. I now define vacation photos differently from the other photos I now enjoy taking.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9652 posts
3895 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Over 90% of my vacation media now is iPhone vids of my family, but there are times I'll get up before anyone else and do landscape shots or I'll leave the resort and venture for 1/2 day without my family to satisfy the photographer in me, like when I went into Havana by myself to take street portraits and old cars (when our kids are older, we can all explore culture):

Then there are vacay shots I can't do without a camera and fast lens, it's how willing you are to bring and use those tools:

But that's all junk I like, my family prefers the iPhone vids, play them back all the time, and frankly seeing them smile and laugh means more. I don't think I'm missing anything, there's so much more content here I'm participating in that's not in this:

[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
236 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Glad to know im not alone in this feeling. Trips nowadays are all about family time so cherishing the moments is primary.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10487 posts
1611 upvotes
Ottawa
I think you gotta bite the bullet and just leave it all behind. Cold turkey. Capture moments in short bursts with video with the phone and occasional "we were here" snapshot.

Hawaii is great and I can remember hiking around the volcanos swearing at the weight of the stuff in my pack. Never again. Better having room in the pack for a nice picnic at the top, taking it in, those are moments you'll remember.