Art and Photography

Do u guys ever feel like u arent enjoying life’s moments because you’re too busy looking through the viewfinder?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 12:22 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1612 posts
164 upvotes
gone are the days with large zooms or heavy primes for me but I don't leave for a vacation without my M9 or A7s with m mount lens that all fits into a small domke bag. Usually I carry that around or just simply one lens on camera slinged across body and off we go to anywhere.

some moments are best to capture with camera imo.

ImageL1017622 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
My Flickr
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2482 posts
417 upvotes
"Buy an Olympus"
- Olmpus fanboi

EPL-5 with 12mm f2 or 8mm fisheye for family selfie portraits :)

No viewfinder too!

What you could do maybe is set aside time for yourself, like super early mornings or late nights to go solo. 30 min a time should be enough.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
i do 90% landscape/architecture so I usual remember to take it in with the naked eye
in rare events like an eclipse or even a niece's first birthday cake, i realize it's difficult to do both because so many things are happening and happening fast....at least for a non-pro and I'm an awful multitasker...I feel in those moments I either didn't take photos that could be better or I didn't live in the moment as much because I was occupied with both...for the future I'll just do a bit of shoot quickly at first, then put the camera away to enjoy the moment.

so for me it's not a matter of gear, because I would've spent the same amount of time trying to think about composition regardless of a phone or a mirrorless on a gimbal...but more about balance and committing to either getting the shot or just being present.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4205 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
hartzfizzo wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:47 am
i feel like i should be living in the moment rather than trying to capture it.
good life lesson
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
You could just take a few pictures and then go back to enjoying the vacation? Why does everything need to be "only this or only that"?
Feb 17, 2012
456 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Have you been to Hawaii before? What island(s) are you going to?

I've been on my honeymoon and pictures with a phone do not do it justice. It was a shame leaving our camera at home. You will regret it. Please bring it and leave it at home on the next one.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2955 posts
254 upvotes
On the flipside, having the camera makes me more observant on the streets so I personally take in a lot more of the everyday life than if I did not have a camera. It also gives you a tool to interact and step into the lives of others you may not have otherwise.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4219 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Frank2029 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:50 am

I've been on my honeymoon and pictures with a phone do not do it justice. It was a shame leaving our camera at home. You will regret it. Please bring it and leave it at home on the next one.
I see both sides...

Phones are getting better and better. iPhone 8 Wedding photography:

https://www.slrlounge.com/ipohne-8-wedd ... nj-haisch/

However, to do it properly and make wall worthy beautiful landscapes... camera on tripod, CPL/grads if necessary, remote, focus stack images, shoot around sunrise/sunset. Start at 6:15

Pro landscape composition

[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
249 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Frank2029 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:50 am

Been to Hawaii a few times before and took the camera and the lenses and the flash and the....

Got some great shots but felt I was being too much "the photographer" instead of "guy on vacation"
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
249 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just came back and though there were a couple of moments where I wished I had my gear, I am glad I left it all at home.

I felt I couldnt bring the camera and just take it out here and there. If I was going to commit to packing the 5d, I was gonna use it as my main camera and use it for every shot.

I think for a family vacation with my young kids this was an easy decision. It would be a lot more difficult one for say a trip to Europe with just my wife.

This has just become a topic of discussion with a couple of my buddies who also love to shoot. One of them just came back from a hike in Utah and he brought his gear. Said he'll never do that again. Just too heavy and cumbersome.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
go hiking with a crop mirrorless or premium P&S...esp. for the canyons in Southern Utah
I couldn't take my landscape shots from the Pixel seriously as 'amazing' as that camera is supposed to be...if you don't have dynamic range or decent megapixel count it won't even come close
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3081 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
Parked, took out my Panasonic ZS100 1" and shot this using its' panorama mode and then sat there for a few minutes listening to the river and smelling the snow in the air before moving down past the truck for a zoomed in shot of the range in the distance on the left. Great day!

Athabaska River near Jasper AB
by NewsyL, on Flickr
Oct 29, 2016
89 posts
7 upvotes
I always feel like this way. That is my I'm not photographer and I think I'll never be able to become a photographer (with that in mind). I'm very bad at capturing photos. But the truth is, I admire photography. And I'm really good at appreciating a good capture.
Oct 22, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
hartzfizzo, thanks for the update on how your decision worked out in practice.

I don’t have kids, so I have fewer demands on my space-time, and an understanding wife. But even still I wouldn’t carry my big SLR anymore, and have done my last several trips with my X100. I also remember that I’m not there for gallery or portfolio photos, so I don’t go overboard. As much. Any more.

I also try to remember to stop and enjoy even when I’m out specifically to take photos. Taking time to sit and observe and enjoy the moment means that I’m shooting less but usually come away with better photos for it.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2013
249 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
torontosphere wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 7:38 am
hartzfizzo, thanks for the update on how your decision worked out in practice.

I don’t have kids, so I have fewer demands on my space-time, and an understanding wife. But even still I wouldn’t carry my big SLR anymore, and have done my last several trips with my X100. I also remember that I’m not there for gallery or portfolio photos, so I don’t go overboard. As much. Any more.

I also try to remember to stop and enjoy even when I’m out specifically to take photos. Taking time to sit and observe and enjoy the moment means that I’m shooting less but usually come away with better photos for it.
Thanks very much. I wasnt sure what the response from the community would be when I started this thread. I thought I'd get flamed for ditching the Canon glass for an iphone for the trip.