Fashion & Apparel

Do u regret not buying a particular piece of clothing?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2017 2:28 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3356 posts
4310 upvotes
Ontario
I regret not going to Toronto when Uniqlo carried the IDLF Fall 2016 collection. A scalloped edge knit short sleeve sweater-it remains a want and no, I have not seen one yet in Value Village (checked several times).

Too many knit tops and sweaters in stores of the past three years have felt like swimsuit fabric to me.
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Jan 16, 2009
85 posts
22 upvotes
The one biggest clothing regret is not buying the Adidas T-Mac 1 basketball shoe, not once, but TWICE. When they first came out in 2002 I already had other basketball shoes so I never thought twice about them. Then when I was playing a basketball game on PS2 a few years later, McGrady wears those shoes in the game and for whatever reason, I really liked them, but the shoes were long discontinued. Then, about 5 years ago, they re-released the shoe (I'm guessing it was a 10 year anniversary or something), and I actually had them in my hands, but decided not to buy them since I don't really play basketball or wear them casually. Fast-forward to today, I still occasionally go on eBay to see if anyone is selling a new pair... dammit...
Oct 28, 2004
267 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
I saw a grey T by Alexander Wang dress that was made of some kind of neoprene jersey and it fit great but I didn't want to spend that much on a casual dress. I regret not buying it and I was stupid enough to buy a different Alexander Wang dress because it was dressier and on clearance. And now I have to sell it because I gained weight (which wouldn't have been a problem with the grey dress). Augh.
We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en francais, veuillez appuyer sur le deux.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4577 posts
604 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 2:24 pm
Do u regret not buying a particular piece of clothing?

There is this one dress that I keep thinking about -- the dress that got away. It was the epitome of my personal style! It was my size! I looked freakin' awesome in it! It was on deep, deep discount! However, it still cost over $1000 and some beading was unravelling. I had a day or two to think about it, and then it would be cleared out of the store to the clearance centre far away. I passed it up, thinking it was too decadent to spend that much on a dress. I didn't want to regret spending that kind of money. This was a few yrs ago. Now prices have gone up insanely high. It's very hard to find stuff in my style. If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I'd still be indecisive about buying it now (due to price), but would be more swayed to get it because prices are so out of reach now. I wish I had an expert second opinion friend like Stacy London.
I really think it's best that you didn't buy it. I would never pay so much for a piece of clothing that was falling apart, even if its original price was $5000+. A nice piece of clothing or an accessory will not look that great if it's broken, worn-out, scuffed, etc.

Next time just take a pic of yourself in the store's dressing room mirror as a reference.

Also consider Price Per Wear. Most dresses I bought I only wore once or twice...and I don't go to events calling for a dress too often to begin with. If it's a staple piece, like an amazing jacket, sweater, purse, piece of jewelry...or even a dress that can be worn up or down...items that can be enjoyed often and for a long time...$1000 isn't too bad.
Maylay wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:41 pm
The one biggest clothing regret is not buying the Adidas T-Mac 1 basketball shoe, not once, but TWICE. When they first came out in 2002 I already had other basketball shoes so I never thought twice about them. Then when I was playing a basketball game on PS2 a few years later, McGrady wears those shoes in the game and for whatever reason, I really liked them, but the shoes were long discontinued. Then, about 5 years ago, they re-released the shoe (I'm guessing it was a 10 year anniversary or something), and I actually had them in my hands, but decided not to buy them since I don't really play basketball or wear them casually. Fast-forward to today, I still occasionally go on eBay to see if anyone is selling a new pair... dammit...
This is a cute story!

As someone else said, I have more past occasions of regretting buying something. However, if they are in good condition, I usually sold them without a huge loss.

The other regrets I have are items I wish I'd bought extras/backups of. It's hard for me to predetermine what will become a favourite, though.