Automotive

Do we chuck in the garbage (contained within plastic bags) gloves and shop rags used to wipe off automotive fluids

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 12:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50627 posts
15421 upvotes

Do we chuck in the garbage (contained within plastic bags) gloves and shop rags used to wipe off automotive fluids

Just want to make sure as I did a couple of fluid swaps. I'll also be labeling the plastic jugs of fluids whenever I put something else in them. Sounds like everything else goes in the trash (rags, towels, crush rings, gloves, etc.)

Thanks.

https://www.halton.ca/For-Residents/Rec ... nt-Site#q4

Automotive liquids, oil filters
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3476 posts
2686 upvotes
Oakville, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
May 21st, 2019 9:30 am
Just want to make sure as I did a couple of fluid swaps. I'll also be labeling the plastic jugs of fluids whenever I put something else in them. Sounds like everything else goes in the trash (rags, towels, crush rings, gloves, etc.)

Thanks.

https://www.halton.ca/For-Residents/Rec ... nt-Site#q4

Automotive liquids, oil filters
You should call them to make sure.

While they don’t specifically list rags/towels as hazardous they do say that automotive fluids are hazardous. To me, that implies that rags/towels soiled by automotive fluids would therefore also be considered hazardous materials.

If that’s correct, then you can’t just seal in a plastic bag and dispose of them in the garbage - you’d have to drop them off in person.

So please call them and update with what they say as I’d be interested to know for sure!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28862 posts
14661 upvotes
Ottawa
Used oil and oil filter can be taken back to CT etc..., here in the City of Ottawa.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11785 posts
11440 upvotes
Oakville
Whatever you do, don't pile the dirty rags together or store them in a bag together without letting them dry out first. They can smoulder and start a fire.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50627 posts
15421 upvotes
So no one in Oakville, Burlington or Milton has done this sort of maintenance work? Or at least, have had an minor spill up? :)
Last edited by alanbrenton on May 21st, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1307 posts
394 upvotes
Oakville
I take my hazardous waste to the annual special collection day/event at Sheridan College. The waste contractor staff (most seem to be temps) take my jugs of unlabeled stuff but tell me to toss the other stuff (used oil filters, oily rags, etc.) into the garbage. Looks like I should be labeling the jugs! I do my best to drain the filters before discarding.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50627 posts
15421 upvotes
Gave the HWMS a call just now and got confirmation to just dry up the rags, paper towels and dispose of them in the garbage. Like what was mentioned on the website, there's a maximum 20L per visit per household (same address). Maybe I will have to ask a friend to carpool with me lol.

Address: 5400 Regional Rd 25, Milton, ON L9E 0L2
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30 p.m.
Province: Ontario
Phone: (905) 825-6000