Automotive

Do we need to follow the maintenance schedule for lease cars ?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7956 posts
497 upvotes

Do we need to follow the maintenance schedule for lease cars ?

I used to follow the maintenance schedule for my car which I bought extended warranty, and I later realized both maintenance schedule and extended warranty are waste of money. Currently, I have been driving both of my cars in the last 6-7 years with oil change only (and brake service when needed). I have never leased a car and wonder if it is required to follow the manufacturer maintenance schedule and done at dealer for lease cars ?
Last edited by rdx on Jan 22nd, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
49 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1660 upvotes
Yes. Very advisable. It is the lessee’s responsibility to maintain their vehicle.
Last edited by eldiablo on Jan 22nd, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10348 posts
4988 upvotes
Toronto
Read car manual. Tells you when to service your car.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
330 upvotes
Most dont follow and do sporatic oil changes. How many times I hear I dont care its leased I put regular gas instead of super etc
Exactly why I buy new at least I know what's been in the car

Answer is you don't have to they dont check nor ask for receipts. You could go 40 000 on an oil change and you bring back the car without a scratch and it would be fine. They CPO'ed it and back on the market
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3749 posts
1469 upvotes
Toronto
estevens wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 12:11 pm
Most dont follow and do sporatic oil changes. How many times I hear I dont care its leased I put regular gas instead of super etc
Exactly why I buy new at least I know what's been in the car

Answer is you don't have to they dont check nor ask for receipts. You could go 40 000 on an oil change and you bring back the car without a scratch and it would be fine. They CPO'ed it and back on the market
I get a laugh everytime sales rep says it just came back from a lease. Everyone should consider leased car to be worse then a rental car.
Jun 20, 2015
488 posts
116 upvotes
Place
I do it on mine. Just less hassle and I know it's in good condition when I return it at the end of the lease.
Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9117 posts
1751 upvotes
Somewhere
Change oil, replace engine filter yourself once in a while (check guidelines) - buy from Amazon or Rockauto, replace cabin air filter yourself.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11864 upvotes
Ottawa
Follow the factory's recommendation...NOT THE DEALER!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3351 posts
746 upvotes
Home
make sure you read the lines in your lease contract.
I heard (may not be true though) some refuse to repair under warranty if you don't follow the scheduled maintenance.
Koodo $40 6GB
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7956 posts
497 upvotes
My question is that do they in general don't ask you to prove all maintenance work you will have done on the car during the lease period ? Or it depends on the dealership ? And if they really check, would service at the dealership be required ? Otherwise, it would be hard for them to judge how good the work was and what were done from those small garage.

If we follow every maintenance schedule during the 3-4 years lease term (on top of oil change), it will cost at least several thousand $.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10378 posts
4779 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:19 pm
My question is that do they in general don't ask you to prove all maintenance work you will have done on the car during the lease period ? Or it depends on the dealership ? And if they really check, would service at the dealership be required ? Otherwise, it would be hard for them to judge how good the work was and what were done from those small garage.

If we follow every maintenance schedule during the 3-4 years lease term (on top of oil change), it will cost at least several thousand $.
Think of it this way. If you lease the car from dealer A and always go to dealer A for warranty issues, oil changes ect... Dealer is aware of your car's maintaince history.

Now, you lease from dealer A and only go there if you have an issue that needs warranty work. If you car has not been serviced by a dealer, they might ask to see the service history proof in order to prepare a warranty claim.

You play ball, sometimes you will hit a homer, most times you fly out.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3351 posts
746 upvotes
Home
OP, Can I ask what kind of vehicle you leased?
MB has a pre-paid maintenance package that covers 3 years for $1,000 for C-Class or GLC (not sure about upper models though).
It shouldn't be at least several thousand dollars unless you leased something much more expensive than GLC.
Koodo $40 6GB
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11864 upvotes
Ottawa
koffey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:23 pm
Think of it this way. If you lease the car from dealer A and always go to dealer A for warranty issues, oil changes ect... Dealer is aware of your car's maintaince history.

Now, you lease from dealer A and only go there if you have an issue that needs warranty work. If you car has not been serviced by a dealer, they might ask to see the service history proof in order to prepare a warranty claim.

You play ball, sometimes you will hit a homer, most times you fly out.
Bro, that's an amateur assumption...the dealer does not dictate warranty eligibility; it comes from the factory.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10378 posts
4779 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:36 pm
Bro, that's an amateur assumption...the dealer does not dictate warranty eligibility; it comes from the factory.
The dealer will provide warranty if it receives the green light from the manufacture. If you car ends up in the dealer for a possible engine issue and you have no records of maintenance, do you think it's getting fixed for free? Who is going to ask you for your paperwork? Not the manufacture. The dealer. Why? Cause the manufacture is asking for X, Y and Z before the dealership would get reimbursed for the work.

My example is basically saying, the dealer would have no service records of your car ever getting maintenance at any dealership, the onus is on you to provide that documentation and if the OP isn't getting the work done, OP shouldn't have purchased a vehicle that OP can't afford cause maintenance is too expensive.
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:19 pm

People love to long term lease expensive cars and hate the responsibility that rides shotgun.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11864 upvotes
Ottawa
koffey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:43 pm
The dealer will provide warranty if it receives the green light from the manufacture. If you car ends up in the dealer for a possible engine issue and you have no records of maintenance, do you think it's getting fixed for free? Who is going to ask you for your paperwork? Not the manufacture. The dealer. Why? Cause the manufacture is asking for X, Y and Z before the dealership would get reimbursed for the work.

My example is basically saying, the dealer would have no service records of your car ever getting maintenance at any dealership, the onus is on you to provide that documentation and if the OP isn't getting the work done, OP shouldn't have purchased a vehicle that OP can't afford cause maintenance is too expensive.

People love to long term lease expensive cars and hate the responsibility that rides shotgun.
You're a long time contributor here; but you are really going out to left field.
If your statement was true, how are dealers handling out country warranty; ie: Ford, MB, Toyota, Subaru; just to name a few?