Automotive

Do we need to follow the maintenance schedule for lease cars ?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8208 posts
517 upvotes
Did you read my OP ? The question is not whether we can afford those "schedule" maintenance. I did all those at the dealership for my last vehicle vs I haven't done any of those schedule maintenance (other than oil change) for the same brand of vehicle in the last 6-7 years. I don't see and feel any difference.

*** Also, like I said on my OP, I have never leased a car, have always been purchased. I am creating this thread as I am just curious what in general people would do on their leased cars as they will eventually return the vehicle and would they get into any trouble for not follow the scheduled maintenance.
koffey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:43 pm
The dealer will provide warranty if it receives the green light from the manufacture. If you car ends up in the dealer for a possible engine issue and you have no records of maintenance, do you think it's getting fixed for free? Who is going to ask you for your paperwork? Not the manufacture. The dealer. Why? Cause the manufacture is asking for X, Y and Z before the dealership would get reimbursed for the work.

My example is basically saying, the dealer would have no service records of your car ever getting maintenance at any dealership, the onus is on you to provide that documentation and if the OP isn't getting the work done, OP shouldn't have purchased a vehicle that OP can't afford cause maintenance is too expensive.

People love to long term lease expensive cars and hate the responsibility that rides shotgun.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3396 posts
781 upvotes
Home
My apologies, I thought you already leased your car and this was your first time, hence asking.
But as I mentioned your thought on the maintenance cost is way too overblown.
MB's C-Class is $1000 for 3 years of maintenance. E-Class is $1300. It's never close to at least several thousand dollars for most cars on the road.
Koodo $40 6GB
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:54 pm
I am creating this thread as I am just curious what in general people would do on their leased cars as they will eventually return the vehicle and would they get into any trouble for not follow the scheduled maintenance.
What does common sense tell you? How is it possible that your maintenance will cost thousands of dollars? What you driving Willis? Lambo?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8208 posts
517 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:58 pm
What does common sense tell you? How is it possible that your maintenance will cost thousands of dollars? What you driving Willis? Lambo?
When I was driving the RDX, the basic schedule A is $100+ for oil change, and schedule B & C were easily $250 to $400+ each time, it was required every 7-8k kms. So, in 3-4 lease terms, I am not surprised to spend over $2-3k on these.

I purchased the vehicle and stupidly bought the 6/7 years extended warranty, so I spent even more on those mainly inspection type of maintenance schedules.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:19 pm
My question is that do they in general don't ask you to prove all maintenance work you will have done on the car during the lease period ? Or it depends on the dealership ? And if they really check, would service at the dealership be required ? Otherwise, it would be hard for them to judge how good the work was and what were done from those small garage.

If we follow every maintenance schedule during the 3-4 years lease term (on top of oil change), it will cost at least several thousand $.
Answer is no you dont have to prove. As for warranty claims unless the car is modified they never get declined unless it was linked to some accident.

Hell when you bring back the car unless the car is really damaged theyll take it as is. My friend brought back his 13 Accord with a dent in the quarter panel..someone kicked it he never got it fixed. Honda sent him his multiple security deposit check. Other friend worned out brakes on his TL , bald tires never said anything.

Add to that the fact that a lot of leased cars never go to the dealership since A LOT OF PEOPLE rollback odometers before turning in their leases . So no they dont care nor check
Last edited by estevens on Jan 22nd, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4265 posts
1893 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I leased a mb, even the sales person said just do oil changes. I put total of 20k kms duration of the lease and spent $150 on one oil change at 10k kms before I returned it. When the term was up, I brought the car in 6 months early and said I want to buy a new car this time. On the inspection sheet, all the sale person did was draw a line across and I handed them the keys.

So if you are going to buy or lease from same dealer again, talk to the sales person if you should spend thousands of dollars.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3513 posts
2183 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
In an economic standpoint, if leasing, just do the bare minimum like oil changes. Lease term of <4 years generally do not have any warranty issues because of maintenance.

If keeping the car though, I do suggest doing more than just oil changes. For your 6-7 year old cars, you may not "feel" any difference since it's a gradually deterioration, but your car's other fluids would be in terrible condition and can wear on parts faster than sooner. At least change the brake fluid, steering fluid, and transmission fluid as these are safety items that must be done.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8208 posts
517 upvotes
I guess if you are buying/leasing another one from them, they will definitely give you a break. I am sure dealers have a way to get it covered for whatever needs to be fixed. For example, they can tell us our warranty/extended warranty does not cover something, when we trade in the car, they can get it covered by the warranty.
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:21 pm
Last time I leased a mb, even the sales person said just do oil changes. I put total of 20k kms duration of the lease and spent $150 on one oil change at 10k kms before I returned it. When the term was up, I brought the car in 6 months early and said I want to buy a new car this time. On the inspection sheet, all the sale person did was draw a line across and I handed them the keys.

So if you are going to buy or lease from same dealer again, talk to the sales person if you should spend thousands of dollars.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2326 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
rdx wrote:
Did you read my OP ? The question is not whether we can afford those "schedule" maintenance. I did all those at the dealership for my last vehicle vs I haven't done any of those schedule maintenance (other than oil change) for the same brand of vehicle in the last 6-7 years. I don't see and feel any difference.

*** Also, like I said on my OP, I have never leased a car, have always been purchased. I am creating this thread as I am just curious what in general people would do on their leased cars as they will eventually return the vehicle and would they get into any trouble for not follow the scheduled maintenance.
When you lease a car, the office manager will go over the agreement with you. They will show you in writing what type of wear and tear the car can come back with. They even have templates that they give you to show what size dents and scratches it can come back with. Now, when the lease term is up, if you're not getting another car from the same place, they will send a 3rd party inspector to assess your car. If there is damage, or tires are below certain tread depth, or brakes are worn past the min limit that's in the agreement you will be responsible for it.

As far as maintenance goes, I personally maintain all cars the same way. I never know if I will end up buy the thing out or not, or selling it before lease end. I would recommend at least doing fluid changes that are in the factory manual. As your warranty could get denied within lease period if your engine suffers damage and you couldn't prove you did your oil changes as per manual. You can skip all the other "inspect" items in the manual.

As far as I know the lease end inspection doesn't require you do produce receipts for the maintenance you've done.
Mar 23, 2009
792 posts
136 upvotes
Halifax
rdx wrote:

BUT you said in another post that it would cost atleast several thousand dollars. So you made it seem like it was a $ issue. So YES you are fully responsible for all maintenance and repairs, including brakes and tires. Not sure why anyone would lease a car thinking they could just skip regular maintenance, replace tires/brakes.
Nov 30, 2003
493 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton
rdx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:12 pm
When I was driving the RDX, the basic schedule A is $100+ for oil change, and schedule B & C were easily $250 to $400+ each time, it was required every 7-8k kms. So, in 3-4 lease terms, I am not surprised to spend over $2-3k on these.

I purchased the vehicle and stupidly bought the 6/7 years extended warranty, so I spent even more on those mainly inspection type of maintenance schedules.
Sounds like you followed the DEALER'S maintenance schedule, not the manufacturer's, that was your problem. No way you should've been spending thousands over the first few years. You paid thousands for visual inspections you could've done yourself or most mechanics would've done for free.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:53 pm
You're a long time contributor here; but you are really going out to left field.
If your statement was true, how are dealers handling out country warranty; ie: Ford, MB, Toyota, Subaru; just to name a few?
Owner typically pays for the warranty work up front and owner then submits to manufacture to reimbursement with documentation. Dealer gets paid regardless so it doesn't care about your maintenance of the vehicle.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8208 posts
517 upvotes
Totally agree that even for leased cars, we need to take care of the oil change, brake service and whatever necessary fixes. What I meant on those dealer schedule maintenance are mostly "inspection" type of work. e.g. inspect the brakes, inspect the fluid level, etc.

Like I said, I drove the last Acura for 6-7 years and followed all scheduled maintenance, and now driving another Acura for 6-7 years as well, where I have only been doing oil change and brake pad replacement. And I don't feel too much of the difference other than saving the $$$ LOL
Seanhfx wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 6:14 pm
BUT you said in another post that it would cost atleast several thousand dollars. So you made it seem like it was a $ issue. So YES you are fully responsible for all maintenance and repairs, including brakes and tires. Not sure why anyone would lease a car thinking they could just skip regular maintenance, replace tires/brakes.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1665 upvotes
estevens wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 2:17 pm
Answer is no you dont have to prove. As for warranty claims unless the car is modified they never get declined unless it was linked to some accident.

Hell when you bring back the car unless the car is really damaged theyll take it as is. My friend brought back his 13 Accord with a dent in the quarter panel..someone kicked it he never got it fixed. Honda sent him his multiple security deposit check. Other friend worned out brakes on his TL , bald tires never said anything.

Add to that the fact that a lot of leased cars never go to the dealership since A LOT OF PEOPLE rollback odometers before turning in their leases . So no they dont care nor check
LMAO...sure
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:18 am
Totally agree that even for leased cars, we need to take care of the oil change, brake service and whatever necessary fixes. What I meant on those dealer schedule maintenance are mostly "inspection" type of work. e.g. inspect the brakes, inspect the fluid level, etc.

Like I said, I drove the last Acura for 6-7 years and followed all scheduled maintenance, and now driving another Acura for 6-7 years as well, where I have only been doing oil change and brake pad replacement. And I don't feel too much of the difference other than saving the $$$ LOL
Service A is normally an oil change typically 2 a year, every 10,000kms and that's less than $100/a visit.
Service B probably includes brake check and tire swap so @ 20,000kms/yearly. Think about it this way.. let's say the oil change is 0.5 hour labor, and lets say for arguments sake servicing the brakes is 1.0 hour per axle and lets say the door rate is $100/hour. $250 just in labor at the dealer. Then oil is what like $70 bucks, filter is like $10, so you're already at $330 parts and labor. Keep in mind they also charge you for supplies they use such as the antiseize and what not; Oil disposal fees, washer fluid and that inspection. The price makes sense once you break it down. Your problem, as mentioned, is using the dealer specified checkup and it's dealer pricing.

Instead of using a dealer, use an indy shop which would run you about a 1/2 to 1/3 of your lease maintenance costs so your $2000-3000 fees over your lease would be much less.

You're paying premium for your average inspection.
eldiablo wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:24 am
LMAO...sure
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯