Automotive

Do we need to follow the maintenance schedule for lease cars ?

Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2542 posts
1866 upvotes
I wonder how many of the folks who respond to questions on leasing cars actually lease cars?

Your biggest risk with any car (whether you lease or finance) and maintenance is the denial of warranty repairs due to not following the recommended maintenance schedule. It's easy to simply ignore the change oil light on your dash, but remember with all the alerts and monitoring on today's vehicles, it is relatively easy for a manufacturer to determine when you were notified of the need to change the oil.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone with a leased vehicle being denied a warranty claim. But, everyone I know who leases tends to follow the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations. No, you do not need to have all the inspection items completed - but you should change any essential fluids. No, it does not need to be with the dealer. Just keep receipts in case of a warranty dispute.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1557 posts
127 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 5:10 pm
I wonder how many of the folks who respond to questions on leasing cars actually lease cars?

Your biggest risk with any car (whether you lease or finance) and maintenance is the denial of warranty repairs due to not following the recommended maintenance schedule. It's easy to simply ignore the change oil light on your dash, but remember with all the alerts and monitoring on today's vehicles, it is relatively easy for a manufacturer to determine when you were notified of the need to change the oil.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone with a leased vehicle being denied a warranty claim. But, everyone I know who leases tends to follow the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations. No, you do not need to have all the inspection items completed - but you should change any essential fluids. No, it does not need to be with the dealer. Just keep receipts in case of a warranty dispute.
What if you do the oil changes and perhaps even other fluid swaps yourself? Assume you buy the oil in bulk when on sale along with engine filters, and grab 1 or 2 years worth. Would a receipt from such bulk purchase be proof enough that you have done your own oil changes regularly for the past 1 or 2 years? Or would that be a hard sell, and it be better to do the oil changes a mechanic for proof, while the car is still under warranty?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3512 posts
2165 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:55 pm
What if you do the oil changes and perhaps even other fluid swaps yourself? Assume you buy the oil in bulk when on sale along with engine filters, and grab 1 or 2 years worth. Would a receipt from such bulk purchase be proof enough that you have done your own oil changes regularly for the past 1 or 2 years? Or would that be a hard sell, and it be better to do the oil changes a mechanic for proof, while the car is still under warranty?
This is probably need some professionals and do lease turn-in inspection to chime in. My leases always have all maintenance included but I did run into off lease vehicles that dealer claims never followed recommended maintenance schedule.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28807 posts
14614 upvotes
Ottawa
90% of the shit on the maintenance list isn't covered under warranty anyways!
Nov 17, 2014
768 posts
493 upvotes
Ontario
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 12:34 pm
I get a laugh everytime sales rep says it just came back from a lease. Everyone should consider leased car to be worse then a rental car.
Yep! One of the benefits of leasing is you get to really enjoy the car, and by that I mean driving the piss out of it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10334 posts
2616 upvotes
Markham
reggyDeal wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:55 pm
You can change your own oil or do it with a licensed mechanic else than a dealership.
With a Licensed mechanic, better ask for a service invoice as a proof or if you are doing your own oil change, just keep the receipt of the oil you purchased, and write down the KM and date you done it.
The only way they can deny your warranty is that your car break down and they suspect or can actually proof that you didn't maintain the car properly and correctly.

This goes to someone who bought their car as well, no difference if you want to be sure that your car is under warranty 100% for the time period.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Jan 17th, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11391 upvotes
Oakville
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:45 pm
You can change your own oil or do it in a licensed mechanic else than a dealership.
With a Licensing mechanic, better ask for a service invoice as a proof or if you are doing your own oil change, just keep the receipt of the oil you purchased, and write down the KM and date you done it.
The only way they can deny your warranty is that your car break down and they suspect or can actually proof that you didn't maintain the car properly and correctly.

This goes to someone who bought their car as well, no difference if you want to be sure that your car is under warranty 100% for the time period.
When I do a DIY oil change under warranty, I log it in the owner's manual and take a photo of the process and new/old oil. I also have the peace of mind that I am 100% for sure doing it properly and better than the 17yr old kid at the dealer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28807 posts
14614 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:49 pm
When I do a DIY oil change under warranty, I log it in the owner's manual and take a photo of the process and new/old oil. I also have the peace of mind that I am 100% for sure doing it properly and better than the 17yr old kid at the dealer.
While it wasn't related to the engine per se, last summer I had the throttle body, PTU and transmission replaced under warranty, without any questions regarding maintenance, even though I have no service history with the dealership for over 2 years.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11391 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:05 pm
While it wasn't related to the engine per se, last summer I had the throttle body, PTU and transmission replaced under warranty, without any questions regarding maintenance, even though I have no service history with the dealership for over 2 years.
I had the oil pump replaced on my wife's Sportage and they never asked for service records.
Apr 27, 2009
232 posts
73 upvotes
West Vancouver
engineered wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:39 pm
I had the oil pump replaced on my wife's Sportage and they never asked for service records.
If all your service was done at a dealership then the service records / history is contained in the manufacture computer system and the service advisor has no need to ask for service records.

Manufacturers require pre-approval for some warranty work. For example a alternator replacement no approval required, engine or turbo replacement approval is required. The manufacture controls the the approval process through the replacement parts ordering process.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8638 posts
6279 upvotes
Markham
Every leased car with little but no maintenance becomes a Manufacturer's TOP CHOICE CPO
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11391 upvotes
Oakville
Randy6560 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:03 pm
If all your service was done at a dealership then the service records / history is contained in the manufacture computer system and the service advisor has no need to ask for service records.

Manufacturers require pre-approval for some warranty work. For example a alternator replacement no approval required, engine or turbo replacement approval is required. The manufacture controls the the approval process through the replacement parts ordering process.
I DIY'd the oil changes. Don't think any maintenance was done at dealer.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3509 posts
2178 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Since we are on the topic of dealers. Has anyone actually get charged for gas when returning their loaner cars?
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28807 posts
14614 upvotes
Ottawa
bomber17 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:32 pm
Since we are on the topic of dealers. Has anyone actually get charged for gas when returning their loaner cars?
In-house loaner no, but the free rental from their partnership agency yes.