• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2008 8:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2709 posts
19 upvotes
only outside in the sun, otw I reverse it on the lens to store generally plus I use a polarizer :)
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
Aug 19, 2004
722 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I used to only use it when there was a bright light source at an angle, but I read something just a while ago that showed with examples, that you get flare from light that you wouldn't normally expect. Not the stark light that you expect from flare, but noticeable image degradation and washout. Now I use the lens hood whenever I can.

If I can find that article, I'll post it, but for the life of me, I can't even guess at where I saw it.
Mark Higgins
Aug 28, 2003
678 posts
54 upvotes
I almost always use my hood because if I don't have it on the lens then I need to find some place else to put the stupid thing where I won't lose is.

T
Mar 5, 2008
187 posts
100% of the time! Plus...it helps to scare off all the digicam guest photographers at weddings ;)
My Heatware: Nademon, My HWC iTrader: Nademon

ITEMS SOLD
EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB | EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB KO ACS3 Edition | P4 2.8Ghz system | Sapphire HD3870 | EK FULL COVER WATERBLOCK for 8800GTS | ATI 3870X2 w/ EK full cover block | 2 VisionTek HD4870's | 1 BBATI 3870X2 | Intel Q9550 CPU
Jul 19, 2003
731 posts
4 upvotes
zoomzoom wrote:
Jun 29th, 2008 10:28 pm
I only use it when it is sunny outside.
ditto.

Is it really needed indoors?
don't forget to neuter your pet
Oct 27, 2006
817 posts
26 upvotes
Vaughan
Sl300 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2008 10:01 pm
ditto.

I only use it outdoors when it's sunny outside. Otherwise, it's always inverted on the lens.

I use the UV filter to protect my lens...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2139 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Sl300 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2008 10:01 pm
ditto.

It depends on the type of indoor lighting there is in the room. I've encountered some flare especially if there are overhead halogen spotlights. I don't use it indoors all of the time, but most of the time.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1354 posts
43 upvotes
It's not necessary for me on bright sunny days. You can use your hand to block the sun and have enough light to shoot 1 handed. However different lenses behave differently to very bright overcast days. I have a prime that looks awful in bright overcast, and another which looks great.

BTW I almost never use a hood because I can't be bothered to bring it or the inconvenience of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2850 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
CameraBill wrote:
Jul 6th, 2008 11:44 am
It's not necessary for me on bright sunny days. You can use your hand to block the sun and have enough light to shoot 1 handed. However different lenses behave differently to very bright overcast days. I have a prime that looks awful in bright overcast, and another which looks great.

BTW I almost never use a hood because I can't be bothered to bring it or the inconvenience of it.
Try one-handing a 70-200 2.8 or longer :D

The hood really isn't an inconvenience as they are mount backwards on the lens. Plus, if you don't need it, just let it sit in the bag...no extra room taken up.

I use it all the time indoors or out. The only time i don't use it is when I have CP on.

It's essential for protection if you're shooting a wedding and have 2 bodies on you swinging by your side or behind you all the time. Also good for those times when you need to place your extra camera on the floor without taking your eye off action.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4299 posts
135 upvotes
I tend to use my lens hood more on bright sunny day but find it difficult to adjust my CP filter with the lens hood on. Does anybody have any tricks you can share? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
sungfra wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 2:21 pm
I tend to use my lens hood more on bright sunny day but find it difficult to adjust my CP filter with the lens hood on. Does anybody have any tricks you can share? Thanks.
How about removing the hood, adjust filter then reattach? :confused:
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
sungfra wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 2:21 pm
CSAgent wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 2:26 pm
How about removing the hood, adjust filter then reattach? :confused:
If you have a smartly-designed petal-hood (Sony and Pentax come to mind), they have a little cut-out in the bottom so you can access the CPL even with the hood on Image
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2850 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 6:59 pm
If you have a smartly-designed petal-hood (Sony and Pentax come to mind), they have a little cut-out in the bottom so you can access the CPL even with the hood on Image
Those are the most ingenious hoods and I wish everyone would follow suit.
Aug 19, 2004
722 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I have a white machine marker, but you can just use white-out. I extend the white indicator on the filter so you can see it looking straight on. That way I can just reach in, and adjust it to where I want it.

Not as easy as a cut-out, but at least you know where you are setting it when you have a deep cylinder lens hood..
Mark Higgins
Dec 31, 1969
SENSEI wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 7:26 pm
Those are the most ingenious hoods and I wish everyone would follow suit.
They are ingenious yes, but be careful not to lose the little removeable tab. I lost one for my Pentax 14mm f2.8 DA, they want $65 to replace the hood because they don't sell the tab by itself. Boo.