Shopping Discussion

Do you avoid retailers that do not offer refunds?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2011 11:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
208 upvotes
Canadia
Jumpshooter wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 5:53 pm

When it comes to the wife's shopping, all my rules go out the door.> :( :facepalm:
lol
[external advertising link removed]
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
61 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 12:49 am
Aren't restocking fees illegal in Canada?
They might be despicable, but they aren't illegal, according to Ellen Roseman: http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=651
LondonOntGuy wrote:
There are some stores out there that ... tell you to get lost if the item you buy is defective.

If it's defective, you are entitled by law to a refund, at least in Ontario. See my thread here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/refunds- ... st12361633

<--- Aiming to be "Thanked" on 10% of my posts. Please Help!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16216 posts
8546 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
LondonOntGuy wrote:
What they ended up telling me when I returned it was I needed to pay a $25 fee in order to get a new unit, otherwise I'm on the hook for returning it to IBM. I really didn't have much of a choice at that point, it was the only hard drive I had and I couldn't wait two months to get a replacement, so I paid it, despite knowing that I was getting ripped off.
IBM? IBM doesn't make disk drives and hasn't done so for years. Considering the name of the store, Computer Liquidators, if this was an IBM-labelled drive then it was old, liquidated stock, maybe even used or refurbished. If so it was sold "as is" for which there is no warranty whatsoever.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
bylo wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 8:11 am
IBM? IBM doesn't make disk drives and hasn't done so for years. Considering the name of the store, Computer Liquidators, if this was an IBM-labelled drive then it was old, liquidated stock, maybe even used or refurbished. If so it was sold "as is" for which there is no warranty whatsoever.

This was back in about 2003 or 2004. It was either a 40 or a 60 gig drive,(I can't remember) and that would have been pretty average back then.
Jun 8, 2008
506 posts
8 upvotes
If it's a store i shop at regularly then yeah it's fine, because i'll use up the store credit anyways. but if i'm i've never shopped at that store before or if the store is a small store, then generally i'll skip and go to another store. i also don't like how you can't return things that are on sale at some clothing stores, so sometimes i'll avoid the sale section all together too.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
10922 posts
1852 upvotes
LondonOntGuy wrote:
Aren't restocking fees illegal in Canada?

There are some stores out there that bait you in with a '30 day exchange policy' but tell you to get lost if the item you buy is defective. Or they'll tell you a small fee is required for a replacement. That's what happened to me at Computer Liquidators in London. - Bought a hard drive and not even a month later it poops the bed. No problem I think, I'll have them exchange it for me. What they ended up telling me when I returned it was I needed to pay a $25 fee in order to get a new unit, otherwise I'm on the hook for returning it to IBM. I really didn't have much of a choice at that point, it was the only hard drive I had and I couldn't wait two months to get a replacement, so I paid it, despite knowing that I was getting ripped off.

After that, I vowed never to go back to that junk store again, and I couldn't be happier. - I'd rather pay a higher price at a reputable store or even Best Buy instead of getting hosed like I did at Computer Liquidators.

No, you are probably missing the point that the "$25 fee" is the cost to pay for the shipping back to IBM.

If you did the RMA directly with IBM, you will pay similar postage fees.

And you actually got a deal if you got a new unit. If you did a RMA with IBM, then they would send you a refurb.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
1326 posts
83 upvotes
Brampton
Like others have said, for low ticket items, I don't care, but for big ones I do avoid small mom and pop type shops. They are your best friend when you buy something and accuse you of wrong doing if you have to bring it back. I've never returned anything, because I've researched the crap out of it, unless it was broken, defective, or a better deal came along within the return period.

For example, I have not returned a single thing in maybe over 5 years now. The last thing I ever bought on impulse was from Canadian Tire, and I don't even have to go into detail to explain how wrong that was. I avoided them for 4 years and only have bought oil from them since.

I can't wait for someone to come up with a model that cuts out the middleman. Eventually manufacturers will get this and make it happen.
I`m back.
May 25, 2006
20 posts
1 upvote
I'll avoid stores that do not refund or exchange.

On stores that do refund, I'll buy on impulse. I won't open the item until I'm sure I want to keep it.

Even if it is cheaper, I'll think twice before I but at store that do not refund like xs cargo.

I also think twice before I purchase at CT or FS their return/refund vary and many CS abuse customer.

I would never buy at Sony store, I had bad experience with one of the store manager.

I rarely return stuff, only when it is DOA or there is something wrong with the unit. If I use it and it works as advertised, I'll keep it.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3726 posts
310 upvotes
Pickering, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 10:13 pm
depends on the item and price

if there is no chance that I will return the item
-> buy at any store that is most convenient

if price is the same
-> buy from place with best return policy

if price is not the same
&& one store has a better return policy
--> try to PM at the store with the best return policy

if store does not have return policy
-> make sure it can be exchanged if defective or not fitting
and
-> do enough research to make sure I won't regret buying it (and accept that I might be stuck with it)

Usually I like to buy from a place that has the best PM and return policy. That's why I buy many electronics items at Costco or FS/BB, because they have no hassle return policies and/or PM policy

This sounds like me.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2015 upvotes
Nowhere
I generally avoid stores that don't allow refunds unless it is a really good deal or something cheap. Although I don't return a lot of things, I like the comfort of knowing that I can return it. If it is being bought as a gift, then I will only buy at a store that offers refunds. I don't like store credits because I don't like being forced to shop at a particular. It is the same reason I hate gift cards.

Certain items are more likely to be returned than others. I know when I was first decorating my home, I bought many things that I returned because they looked different at home (no harsh store lighting) or didn't fit with my decor etc. Sometimes you just need to see it in your home to know if it will work. I even had to return an arm chair to Sears once because although it was the same model as my couch, they had changed the colour slightly. When I bought it, I had no intention of returning it but I was glad that they had a return policy. So now I have the couch, the ottoman but no arm chair. :( Clothing can be the same way. You buy something to go with an outfit and it doesn't match.
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
I agree with most people, if youre buying something high end, go with the major stores and not some Foreign Owned Stores which people have been complaining about having trouble with refunds .... no racial intended or as another Op said, mom and pop shop. Make sure you view their refund policies before you buy anywhere. And always keep your reciepts :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16216 posts
8546 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Barbara Ann wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 11:59 pm
if youre buying something high end, go with the major stores and not some Foreign Owned Stores
Well you just eliminated Wal-Mart, Costco, FS/BB, HBC/Zellers, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Target (when they get here), Staples, Office Depot, and countless other "major stores" that are "foreign owned." :rolleyes:
no racial intended
Yeah, that's absolute absolution every time.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
sexyj wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 8:31 am
No, you are probably missing the point that the "$25 fee" is the cost to pay for the shipping back to IBM.

Still, they should at least have a sign up stating they'll screw you with the $25 fee if you have something that craps out. Tactics like what they pull there should be illegal as far as I'm concerned. And if anyone is wondering if they're legit, look them up on Google. They post fake reviews praising the store and giving it five stars. - Majority of the 5 star reviews all go up on the same day. Very very fishy.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
As long as I can exchange a defective item within a resonable period of time ( ten days or more ) I have no issues buy something. That being said it is nice to have the option of changing your mind if you don't like how something works in your home.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
+1 to the guy who avoids mom and pop stores. They are buddy buddy before the sale and your enemy after. Ditto for franchised chains like CT and SDM.

As for no refunds they better offer me a remarkable discount (ideally 10% or above) otherwise they're screwing me out of my refund option and pocketing the savings.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812