Shopping Discussion

Do you avoid retailers that do not offer refunds?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2011 11:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
12 upvotes
If people would just boycott retailers that didn't offer refunds, all retailers would offer refunds.

Almost all consumer electronic devices use software/firmware that many times is very buggy, so exchanging it for another one does absolutely no good. So if you buy it at a retailer that doesn't offer refunds you are stuck buying something else from that retailer even if they have nothing you want.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1752 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
DavidLeR wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 8:00 am
They might be despicable, but they aren't illegal, according to Ellen Roseman: http://www.ellenroseman.com/?p=651

If it's defective, you are entitled by law to a refund, at least in Ontario. See my thread here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/refunds- ... st12361633

If that's the case, how is Canadian Tire allowed to tell customers to deal with the manufacturer instead for defective/dud items?
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
61 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote:
Feb 27th, 2011 5:54 pm
If that's the case, how is Canadian Tire allowed to tell customers to deal with the manufacturer instead for defective/dud items?
Well, for one thing, the Canadian Tire web site is Canada-wide, and in some provinces, there may not be legislation requiring this.

Many stores (other than CT) have reasonable policies regarding defective items, and will allow returns within the first few weeks, if not months. So, the issue doesn't come up as much as it would if all stores in Canada had the same policy as CT.

As you are perhaps demonstrating yourself, there is not very much awareness among Canadian consumers on the existence of this legislation, let alone the implications of it. I only found out about it myself in November. So, if people aren't asking for refunds on this basis, the stores may not be getting the message.

If the store refuses to comply with the law, it seems to be generally up to the individual customer to file a lawsuit in small claims court to get their money back. This can cost over $100, which would not be worthwhile, unless the item was expensive.

I would hope that the various Ministries for consumer issues could go to bat for consumers with retailers who have contrary policies, but they do not seem to do it very much (expect maybe for that Mazda dealership who tricked a disabled lady into paying twice what a car was worth).

Lastly, this may seem cynical, but I would also guess that Canadian Tire has a financial incentive to turn customers away at the returns desks, and not have to deal with as many money-losing defects. They might well have to start giving back a lot of money if they admitted that such laws are applicable in specific provinces.

On a related note, it has been my experience that CT offers a lot of 'house brand' product lines which are of very poor quality. If they had to provide refunds on these products, I expect that would mean a loss of a lot of revenue. I can see how they'd be tempted to say, "Sorry - 'repair only', so you can't get your money back".

In closing, forgive me if I am 'reading between the lines' here, but I sense that you might have doubts that Ontario customers really are entitled to a refund on a defective product. If so, see this article I recently came across by Ellen Roseman:

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/930023 ... don-t-work

Regarding defective appliances, she wrote, "I’m shocked that some people wait so long to get appliances working again. Under the law, manufacturers and retailers have a duty to supply products fit for the intended purpose ... if you’re stranded, go to small claims court and cite the Sale of Goods Act as an argument to get your money back."

<--- Aiming to be "Thanked" on 10% of my posts. Please Help!
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
sexyj wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 8:31 am
No, you are probably missing the point that the "$25 fee" is the cost to pay for the shipping back to IBM.

If you did the RMA directly with IBM, you will pay similar postage fees.

And you actually got a deal if you got a new unit. If you did a RMA with IBM, then they would send you a refurb.

One thing I forgot to mention on my last reply. Them having to pay to ship it back to IBM or whoever is none of my concern. That is THEIR cost of doing business. But anyways, like I said before, I avoid that junk store and would rather pay even twice as much for something at a large outfit like Best Buy because I know they'll stand behind their products. And if it does crap out after I move, I can just take it in to another store and get a replacement with no hassles at all.
Banned
Feb 25, 2011
7 posts
4 upvotes
ottawa
I try to avoid them as well for items over $20. I noticed Loblaws now only gives 14 days to retuen items. It used be a lot longer than that from what I remember.