• Jan 12th, 2010 11:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1873 posts
881 upvotes
North Vancouver
I baby my gear; always have and always will. Why? Well one of the reasons is that I usually upgrade my camera equipment every couple of years and I want to be able to sell my used gear for as much as I can get. I usually sell my gear on eBay with full disclosure on any issues/defects along with detailed photos. I've done very well as a result and often get 70-80% of what I paid for my gear as much as three years later which is pretty darn good I think! :)
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Oct 12, 2004
233 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
lz7j wrote:
Jan 8th, 2010 8:00 pm
I don't use lcd protectors... however, I've twice replaced the lcd cover on my old 1d3 and 40D (cost $12/pc from Canon) and took 10mins.
I've got a thin scratch on the LCD cover of my 5DM2, how do you go abouts ordering it from Canon? Also, how do you remove the old / attach the new?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
When i shoot i'm outside in crowds and usually not so good weather so i'll answer "no".
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
170 upvotes
-I blow dust off at the end of the day
-I dont use UV filter, but always use lens hood as protection
-I store all my lens in one big plastic container instead of my camera bag

That's about it...
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
shoryukenz wrote:
Jan 9th, 2010 3:44 am
I've got a thin scratch on the LCD cover of my 5DM2, how do you go abouts ordering it from Canon? Also, how do you remove the old / attach the new?
Call 1-800-668-8776 (Canon started contracting their parts order desk to Global Electronics). You will need to have the Canon part #. If you don't have it, get them to "research" it. It shouldn't take more than 5-7 business days.

I've personally never removed the lcd cover on the 5Dmk2... but on the 1d3 and 40D, I used a heat gun on low setting along the edges of the screen and used a plastic chisel or suction cup to get it off.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
"Baby your equipment" is a relative term. What do you mean "baby"?

I take good care of my equipment because I need it to work when I want it to work. But I'm not detailed to the point of buying $50 kits to wipe my sensor. A good blow will do. The remaining dust is hard to see anyways. And stubborn dirt such as ice cream or fried chicken grease is removed by taking it to the manufacturer's service ctr.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4277 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
I babied mine. As I knew I was going to sell it eventually. Good thing I did because the person that bought it.. bought it cause it was in "MINT" condition. Looks matter to people apparently. :)
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr
May 13, 2006
120 posts
I have 4 kids, babying means carrying a lens with front and back cover in one of my pockets while another one is on my camera around my neck (standard set up for our last trip to Disney).

I'm not even close to being considered an amateur but I like getting better pictures. And due to the 4 kids, I can only afford to upgrade very seldomly but I figure, the equipment is there to be used. If I can't use it, what's the use of having it in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7993 posts
1072 upvotes
I take care of my stuff but I don't "baby" them per say... I have no intention of reselling any of my stuff so its not a concern that I keep my gear in "mint" condition to preserve resell value.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3044 posts
368 upvotes
I also try to preserve resale value. In my first year, I've sold 9 lenses...I can't go banging these around then try to get rid of them :D
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7052 posts
90 upvotes
Nepean
used to but after a while who cares, no one really wants a D50 anymore :)

If I break, then I guess I'll have to buy a new dslr (oh noes the horror ;) )