Health & Wellness

Do you breathe through ONE or both Nostrils?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 12:29 am

Poll: Can you breathe through both nostrils?

• Total votes: 24. You have voted on this poll.
I can only breathe through one nostril most of the time

21%
I can breathe through BOTH nostrils most of the time

67%
I'm a mouth breather most of the time.

13%
[OP]
May 1, 2005
251 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Do you breathe through ONE or both Nostrils?

Hi guys,

I had a septoplasty a few years ago, trying to fix a deviated septum, while the surgery went great, due to chronic congestion of the sinuses, I didn't achieve the results that I because of was hoping for which was the ability to breathe through my nose regularly. Sadly I breathe through my mouth 80% of the time, and of the 20% of the time that I can breathe through my nose, it is only one nostril.

Just trying if others are in this situation.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
I hardly can breathe through both nostrils. Most of the times with only one, and that's enough.
Jul 12, 2016
330 posts
179 upvotes
If this has been a longstanding issue, nasal obstruction only on one side could be related to a deviated nasal septum or narrowing of the nasal passage due to obstruction of the nasal valve region. However, there are numerous other causes of nasal obstruction, including both structural or anatomic factors as well inflammatory conditions that can cause the lining tissue of the nose to swell.
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
It's abnormal to have congestion & therefore, breathing through one nostril after "successful" septosplasty .

I would recommend following up with your surgeon with any concerns, as he knows the details of your surgery and will be able to provide you with advice.

I wish you the best of luck!