Fashion & Beauty

Do you buy clothes with fake or "raccoon" fur? (not child friendly)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 4:07 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes

Do you buy clothes with fake or "raccoon" fur? (not child friendly)

Quite a few years ago, I watched a real life documentary which showed hundreds of beautiful dogs and animals skinned and whipped to death to make the fake fur on many of the hoodies we wear.

Since then I have avoided clothes with the fake fur around the collar. It's become so secondary that I almost forgot the rationale for it.

Tonight I was checking out the Mackage thread: last-hunt-mackage-up-45-off-2170104/2/ and perusing these very expensive jackets. I noticed that the product description kept saying Asiatic raccoon fur so I looked it up and lo and behold, it is the same deal.

The conditions of these fur farms are horrific, according to the report. Raccoon dogs are kept in tiny metal cages and are often skinned alive after crude slaughter methods fail to work.

And if you’ve bought or worn raccoon dog fur, you probably don’t even know. Under U.S. law, the fur is officially labeled “Asiatic raccoon” (not that the fur being from an actual raccoon would make it better, since raccoons are awesome), though a 2008 Humane Society investigation found raccoon dog fur has been mislabeled as rabbit, coyote, Finni Raccon, “ecological fur” and, most disturbingly, faux fur.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ta ... b7d5447adc

I don't mean to be an idiot on this one, but in this day and age, when we can buy from companies who care about ethical sourcing (Patagonia, North Face etc) I think it would be really nice if we as consumers can educate ourselves a bit more about how our buying decisions impact the lives of others, including people and other animals.

Thanks for reading,

J/
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1490 posts
1026 upvotes
Those fake Canada Goose jackets are the worst. Canada Goose has found that those counterfeit jackets contain dog fur and the feathers in the down are contaminated with mold and mildew.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10506 posts
223 upvotes
How is it fake fur if it comes from animals?

The logic of having fur is that it baffles the wind way better than a straight edge would. I don't know how effective it is and I don't normally buy jackets that have it. Not for ethical reasons - it just goes together in my mind with leopard skin pants.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11753 posts
1686 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I noticed two different brands had the same ethically sourced fur supplier company.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 10:54 am

The logic of having fur is that it baffles the wind way better than a straight edge would. I don't know how effective it is and I don't normally buy jackets that have it. Not for ethical reasons - it just goes together in my mind with leopard skin pants.
It's incorrect labeling - that is the point.

The labels can't be trusted, unfortunately.

J/
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11753 posts
1686 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:02 pm
I noticed two different brands had the same ethically sourced fur supplier company.
From what I recall, that fur supplier is Saga Furs: http://www.sagafurs.com/
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Jan 17, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 10:54 am

It is because there is a huge cat/dog meat operation, mainly in east asian countries (minority of people eats dogs/cats, but more than enough to make this possible), and to make as much as profit they can, they will also sell the skin and fur, but no one will buy dog leather or fur, so they would rather call it faux fur.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1844 posts
547 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Sheep's don't care lol, they eat up CG and others to impress others.

Maybe to hide their deep down insecurities.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10506 posts
223 upvotes
AmexPlus99 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:57 pm
It is because there is a huge cat/dog meat operation, mainly in east asian countries (minority of people eats dogs/cats, but more than enough to make this possible), and to make as much as profit they can, they will also sell the skin and fur, but no one will buy dog leather or fur, so they would rather call it faux fur.
What kind of animal is it meant to come from? Coyotes and wolves are dogs.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes
AmexPlus99 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:57 pm
What makes it particularly sad and bad is that they whip the dogs to death whilst alive so as not to "affect" the fur, or as the article said skin them alive.

I honestly cannot understand how there is not more publicity or care about this. I posted this in the other thread on jackets and someone just wrote "but the jackets are so pretty".

J/
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think anytime you come by a fur coat at a trusted second hand store and if the jacket looks worn, you should buy it.

It might be a real fur coat. The animal is already dead a long time ago and the fur has been worn by previous owners of the jacket.

I got a fur coat for $15 at a thrift store i frequent. I am not sure if it is real or not but when I wear it out no one can see the fur because the inside is the mink and the outside is leather. That's what I believe anyways. I never checked it with people who knows material and this jacket came with no labels.

The world has been around for so long, what people killed and what people made with what they killed are left everywhere. If you come across something you think is worth the price just get it.

It would be nice to check my jacket with someone because I like that it's heavy and warm. I don't support cruelty to animal but it is what it is.

Am I suppose to destroy every fur coat I see that may have been around since 1800?
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
59 upvotes
Thanks for the input but just to be clear - it's not about destruction. In this case, the method of killing the animal is also heinously cruel and mostly to support fashion fads, not survival requirements.