Shopping Discussion

Do you buy from Marketplace vendors?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2020 9:41 am

Poll: What is your opinion of Marketplace vendors?

• Total votes: 50. You have voted on this poll.
I don't care. Cheapest price wins!

6%
I never buy from Marketplace vendors. I want my stuff shipped from the website I'm on!

34%
I will buy from third party sellers, but only if it's fulfilled/shipped by Amazon (or Best Buy, or Walmart...)

60%
I never even noticed there was a difference.

0%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1145 posts
272 upvotes

Do you buy from Marketplace vendors?

I'm curious about Marketplace shopping habits. As you may/probably know, several online retailers -- Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart for example -- allow third-party sellers on their websites. These Marketplace vendors are identified as such, but sometimes it's not entirely clear from whom you may be buying or from where the item may be shipping.

Do you care? Do you actively avoid Marketplace vendors? Are you a Marketplace vendor and wish I would just shut up already?
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5578 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
I will buy marketplace if there's no other choice and I really want an item.

Just a few mins ago I made an Amazon order of 4 items and 1 was marketplace. I cut that item and made it 3....I will buy that other item at a reputable B&M store on the coming days.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Sep 6, 2016
743 posts
279 upvotes
I prefer pay more and make sure I will get my stuff and Have 30 days to handle it
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Dec 8, 2009
284 posts
232 upvotes
As long as it's fulfilled/shipped by Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart and backed by their policies it doesn't matter to me who the actual seller is. A lot of the time it's sold by the actual company/manufacturer of the product.
Jul 15, 2003
669 posts
198 upvotes
Ottawa
I will buy the occasional marketplace items from Amazon, but I will never buy marketplace stuff from Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I'm always annoyed with both of those sites when I am looking for something and most of what I see are overpriced third-party sellers. At least Amazon has the prime button easily available to filter out marketplace vendors that don't ship from an Amazon warehouse.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1675 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes. Bought a few items. Never had a problem. They showed up on time. Item a described.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1729 posts
797 upvotes
London
amazon rarely. but never from bb or wm. alot of people who have bought from wm or bb 3rd party when they have issues and the seller blows them off bb or wm dont seem to have any protection in place to back u up like an A-z claim on amazon. pretty much with wm or bb ur only option would be to file a dispute with ur cc if the seller screws u witch some stores can ban u if u do so.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1803 posts
1313 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I usually will buy third party when the price is right and the item is fulfilled by the e-commerce site (excluding ebay of course, when you're on that website you're buying everything from 3rd parties).

I don't buy third party from Walmart or BestBuy as I find those companies don't offer products at good prices. Personally I wish Walmart didn't do this third party non-sense because it makes it difficult to find items that are actually sold by a repetible company like Walmart.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6466 posts
2691 upvotes
It used to be that was the only choice. Amazon sold books and just about everything else was Marketplace. We didn't get shipped and sold by Amazon until 2008 (starting with electronics) a fulfillment centre until 2010, or Prime until 2013 so business in Canada was built on the strength of Marketplace sellers. And Amazon admits that it's the marketplace that really makes them money.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12724 posts
2030 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I find it offensive that websites other than amazon have marketplace vendors. It clutters up my search results. For example, I just want to search if Walmart carries the item I am looking for, and how much it is instore. So, since my search on their website makes me annoyed, I will be more likely to never search their website again.
Last edited by Becks on Feb 13th, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1803 posts
1313 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Becks wrote: I find it offensive that websites other than amazon have marketplace vendors. It clutters up my search results. For example, I just want to search if Walmart carries the item I am looking for, and how much it is instore. So, since my search on their website makes me annoyed, I will be more likely to ever search their website again.
It's a desperate attempt by existing businesses to copy the success of Amazon without copying the success of Amazon.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2126 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
Missing my poll option: I prefer to buy from Amazon direct, then from Fulfilled-by-Amazon, but I'll consider Amazon Marketplace if it's the only option and everything looks ok (description, seller rating and reviews, shipping cost and time). I haven't had any problems, but I do see a LOT of obvious fake reviews for newly listed products by Amazon Marketplace sellers. Many of them seem to think that you can't just drop a new product listing onto Amazon without "seeding" a bunch of 5-star reviews. I'm surprised that they haven't learned to make them sound less fake.

My most recent purchase was a new UPS battery, only available from an Amazon Marketplace seller. Free shipping, quoted 1 week but arrived in 1 day, only charged 5% GST. Product as advertised.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2611 posts
1702 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
I just had my first Best Buy Marketplace experience and never again. The seller was just drop shipping directly from Amazon - the item came in a very lovely Amazon box. Getting a refund was a pain in the proverbial, but ended up getting a full refund in the end...and I bought the item directly from Amazon myself.

I've bought items on Amazon that are sold by X and fulfilled by Amazon, no problems, but my preference is sold and shipped by Amazon, just as my preference would be sold and shipped by Best Buy.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jan 8, 2015
370 posts
203 upvotes
I only buy from "marketplace" if I'm buying from the manufacturer's "store". Picked the never buy option since that's the usual thing for me.

I did make the mistake of purchasing a product from a market place store instead of amazon. Hate that shit. Luckily it worked out ok.